Have you even noticed how random stuff gets imbedded in the asphalt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>,
"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> writes:
> OK, so it's not "my penis is a bicycle"...
>
> But I've got -pictures-!
>
> http://128.83.80.200/bike/sip.html

Heh :) Talk about violating the roads!

Maybe millenia from now, archaeologists will dig up this embedded stuff, and base all kinds of
speculations and conjectures about our culture on it.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

My guess is the bracket is a clamp off an exhaust system.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:25:47 -0600, "Robert Canon"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, so it's not "my penis is a bicycle"...
>
>But I've got -pictures-!
>
>http://128.83.80.200/bike/sip.html
>

I enjoyed the pics- I hope that you keep finding more.

Question- lots of blue faces on all the metal pieces. Is this lighting, something in the
environment, or a little photoshop highlighting?

Robert Canon wrote:
> OK, so it's not "my penis is a bicycle"...
>
> But I've got -pictures-!
>
> http://128.83.80.200/bike/sip.html

Are those "regular" roads? Sure look bumpy compared to what I picture as asphalt...

Bill "disillusioned" S.

Robert Canon has a good eye for stuff stuck in the top layer of flexible pavement structures.

The Caddy symbol looks like the head of a cartoon kid with a crewcut, ears sticking out, and he's
yelling for help because he's like stuck in the street.

The letter looks like a 'b' from a Chevy Celebrity.

Thanks for that.

Robert

> I enjoyed the pics- I hope that you keep finding more.

Thanks Dan. I already have my eye on what looks like part of the handle of a utility knife near the
exhaust clamp (good call, Chris), but it's in the turn lane of a busy intersection and might take a
little doing to get a good photo.

> Question- lots of blue faces on all the metal pieces. Is this lighting, something in the
> environment, or a little photoshop highlighting?

The pictures are completely unretouched/edited, except for the resized ones that link to the full
size original images. They were taken during my commute in the early morning light, as evidenced by
the long shadows thrown by the little pebbles, on an utterly clear day. I think the blue must be the
reflected sky since the pictures were taken from almost directly above.

> Are those "regular" roads? Sure look bumpy compared to what I picture as asphalt...
>
> Bill "disillusioned" S.

They're regular for central Texas. I think they call it chip-seal; they start with an asphalt base,
oil it, then spread finely chipped rock on it and basically let the traffic work it into the asphalt
base. It set's up a bit of a buzz with a small high pressure tire but with a 1.25" tire at 90psi
it's pretty smooth sailing. I suppose the same consistency that lets the gravel embed allows the
random junk to do the same.

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Are those "regular" roads? Sure look bumpy compared to what I picture as asphalt...
>>
>> Bill "disillusioned" S.
>
> They're regular for central Texas. I think they call it chip-seal; they start with an asphalt
> base, oil it, then spread finely chipped rock on it and basically let the traffic work it into the
> asphalt base. It set's up a bit of a buzz with a small high pressure tire but with a 1.25" tire at
> 90psi it's pretty smooth sailing. I suppose the same consistency that lets the gravel embed allows
> the random junk to do the same.

One of my most vivid childhood memories is being sent out to play on a hot July day, and truckin'
along the neighbourhood streets barefoot, and popping tar bubbles in the asphalt with my big toes.
Then coming back home and innocently ignorantly daring to walk across my mom's freshly washed &
waxed kitchen floor. And then being relegated to the back porch/stairs with no other company than
the house cats, and with the soles of my feet smeared with butter in a vain attempt to soften the
tar-layer on my feet for subsequent washing-off. That was back in the 50's, when asphalt in the
summer had the consistency of a Sweet Marie candy bar left on a dashboard for too long.

Modern asphalt is designed to spare kitchen floors, and is probably not as embeddable as it used to
be. They have these new formulae that don't exude & soften like it used ta.

cheers, & sticky is sensual, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:25:47 -0600, "Robert Canon"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>OK, so it's not "my penis is a bicycle"... But I've got -pictures-!
>http://128.83.80.200/bike/sip.html

Cool.

I was going to make a comment about the spelling of "imbedded", but I found that it appears to be an
accepted spelling of that work. Strange...the word was originally, AFAIK, "embedded".
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:25:47 -0600, "Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>OK, so it's not "my penis is a bicycle"... But I've got -pictures-!
>>http://128.83.80.200/bike/sip.html
>
> Cool.
>
> I was going to make a comment about the spelling of "imbedded"

That would be like making comments about the colour of posters' hair. Or argewing about the spelling
of gim xhi (deeply in which I often am, too).

But if we getz what yez says, t'ain't no big wuff. Best ta just tawk norml. Better ta lissen ta
whutz meant, than to parse whutz spelt.

Call it "poetic license".

cheers, Tom

--
[point] bc [point] ca

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:40:58 +0000, Tom Keats wrote:

> One of my most vivid childhood memories is being sent out to play on a hot July day, and truckin'
> along the neighbourhood streets barefoot, and popping tar bubbles in the asphalt with my big toes.

I have those memories, too. I always thought the gooey roads were due to the central California heat
(110F was and is typical on a summer day). It's disappointing to think it's just cheap asphalt.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:40:58 +0000, Tom Keats wrote:
>
>> One of my most vivid childhood memories is being sent out to play on a hot July day, and
>> truckin' along the neighbourhood streets barefoot, and popping tar bubbles in the asphalt with
>> my big toes.
>
> I have those memories, too. I always thought the gooey roads were due to the central California
> heat (110F was and is typical on a summer day). It's disappointing to think it's just cheap
> asphalt.

I've often seen 110-120F days in Lytton and Lillooet and Merritt, BC. But the old asphalt would
readily let go of its tar at a mere 80-90F.

And it /was/ cheap, horrid, tarry asphalt.

Anyhow, once again I'm psychically intuiting some sort of need by somebody in this NG, so here's the
answer (or a pointer to it): http://www.thencamebronson.tv/pages/854773/index.htm

Uncanny, eh?

cheers, Tom

--