Have You Ever Been a Cycling Pro?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gntlmn, Jan 10, 2004.

1. stone61cm

stone61cm New Member

Well, I think the real pros are more concerned with training, rather than reading a bunch of crap in an online board ;)

2. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

You got a point there. Sorry I was late to respond. I've been out training. Heh heh.

3. stone61cm

stone61cm New Member

LOL.....now here we have a real cyclist!!!

4. wardie2000

wardie2000 New Member

Bit of info for you all out there about cyclists weight, height etc from last years TdF

'The tallest rider in the rield this year is Russian Vladimir Karpets
    (iBanesto), who is 6-3 1/2; The shortest is Samuel Dumoulin (Jean
    Delatour) of France, who stands 5-1/2-inch. The heaviest rider in the
    field was not listed, but the lightest cyclist is Alexandre Butcharov
    (AG2R) of Russia, who weighs 123.5 pounds. The average height in the
    field is 5-9, while the avearge weight is 164 pounds.

Likely more important to the riders is their heartrate. Michael Blaudzun
    of Denmark has the lowest resting heartrate in the field, 31 . . .'

Makes interesting reading

5. stone61cm

stone61cm New Member

LOL.....I'm taller than the tallest and lighter than the average.....anyone have a team looking for another rider? :)

6. larry barr

larry barr New Member

I am surprised that the average weight is that high. I would have thought it was closer to 150. All those leg muscles I guess.

7. byron27

byron27 New Member

tom boonen is a big boy. 192 cm or just under 6'4" if you havent moved out of the dark ages of measurement. Im always trying to find out cyclist heights and weights but they arent the easiest stats to find. Im 6'5", 185 lbs for the record.

8. byron27

byron27 New Member

hey does being a bike courier count as being a pro?
    you are getting paid to ride a bike.

9. larry barr

larry barr New Member

It would be interesting to know what most of us amateur hacks come in at weight and height wise. For the record I am 6' 0" (I remain happily in the dark ages) and 172 lbs.

10. Lasalles

Lasalles New Member

Speaking of Pros,a guy from my old club is racing for US Pro team The Bean Team, Jeff Hopkins.HE was a great guy,would talk to anyone and help you out.Id have to say he was the best allround cyclist ive seen in person,along with Graeme Brown(Panaria).

11. tricycle

tricycle New Member

Yeah Im a Pro, and I spend a lot of time on the net. Pros dont train that much during race season, well I dont

12. leif_ericson

leif_ericson New Member

Sounds like you are dangerously underweight

13. ajberni

ajberni New Member

Check out Francisco Perez for MAIA Milaneza. He's 6'3+ and the man can climmmmmb.

I'd bet he has the best height to success ratio in pro cycling, now ranking 78th (UCI) - and if you want to throw age in the equation, 25. mannn.

I'm 6'3+ myself and am at around 170lbs. But I just had my first race this evening and I've got a ways to go.

14. byron27

byron27 New Member

man, your skinny as well!
    how old are you?

i thought i was skinny at 187lbs for 6'5" but maybe not...

15. ajberni

ajberni New Member

I'm 22. Skinny, kinda. Not 'dangerously' so though. I could use even to drop a few pounds from the gut / gain a few in the legs. Plus my arms are a bit big if I want to be serious about climbing.

By the way, how old is abnormal to turn pro? Are there any 26-27 year olds just turning pro (gonna need a few years to move through the ranks - hah).

16. byron27

byron27 New Member

IMHO, if you have the legs it doesnt matter how old you are. In my local comp the guys who blow the legs off everyone else and win 60% of the races are 38 and 41 respectively, and we a couple of track world champs riding in our road comps. I think 26-27 is fine.

How much climbing is there in the races you do?

asking only because if there are not many in your area it might be worth putting on a bit of muscle and building your power on the flats. Body composition is malleable to its environment it needs to prosper in. Just a thought...if you are like most cyclist (and me!) any amount of fat on your body is a curse.

17. ajberni

ajberni New Member

Of course there are incredible riders at 'older' ages... though this thread is about pros (and obviously not applicable to most of us here).

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of climbing around here in races. In fact it's pretty hard even to find a road race locally (it's all crits). So although there are decent climbs to train on, I really do need to train flats and sprints more. But then, this is just what I'm realizing after my first race. And still, that nature of our races is no reason to keep off the hills or keep on the fat (as you say).

18. trunks_cscs

trunks_cscs New Member

I'm 5'8", 185. Built to sprint with the best of them but when it comes to climbing, I'm happy watching from the back of the pack even though I try to hold my own.

19. batakgt

batakgt New Member

5'11" 200 pounds here. Definatly no pro! Ex-Hockey player (I'm a forward) turned cyclist last year. But a man can dream can't he :)

20. trunks_cscs

trunks_cscs New Member

Dreams are the main ingredient needed to make reality. Without them we'd all be boring. I'm going to try and qualify for the 2008 Paralympics in road cycling, so if I can do it, we all can do it! And as Steven Tyler sings, "Dream On!"