Have you ever bought bike stuff on eBay.

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
I've spent the last 4 months building a bike from new parts that I got on eBay. I think I ended up paying 50-60% of the new, retail price for the whole bike.

I'd be interested to hear your eBay experiences.

Dominic Sansom said:
I've spent the last 4 months building a bike from new parts that I got on eBay. I think I ended up paying 50-60% of the new, retail price for the whole bike.

New Ultegra 9 spd. 11-21 Cassette, good price, great service and they send it to Monterrey, México by USPS, took 4 weeks but it was worthy.

Yes....to give an example, I swapped out the FSA OS115 stem on a six13 for a shorter one.....I bought a new one on ebay, then sold my "old" one, which was as good as new (1 week old) on ebay and the whole deal worked out great...the buyer got an "as new" stem for an excellent price and at the end of the day it cost me around $20 to change my stem....so we were both happy Campers....

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my almost new Ksyrium SSL wheels...It's a great way of doing upgrades...or swapping out parts...

Dominic Sansom said:

I bought a Cervelo Soloist Team frame, two FSA Superlight Cranks, Ultegra 10 brakes, used Dura Ace 7700 STI's, two 2004 OCR seats (comfy seats for cheap), CSC Team gloves, CSC Socks, a Cannondale Thermal Pro Sweater, a Bellweather rain jacket, Spa Sport Lobster Winter Gloves, Spa Sport Balaclava, and a Tour de France MTN Climbers Jersey. All of my stuff was good except for the Dura Ace shifters which were not that new. I think used shifters sold on ebay may not be a good buy unless they are new. If I had to buy my Dura Ace shifters I would now rather have bought them new. The Spa Sport gloves and Balaclava are great and they keep me warm even in bike rides in the 20s F. I really saved a lot by buying my Superlight cranks new from ebay - $256 and $290 versus $350 to $400 and some stores. My Cervelo frame only cost $968 vs $1600 from a store.

JTE83 said:
My Cervelo frame only cost $968 vs $1600 from a store.

I found some great bargains on eBay but I was also amazed at how crazy bidding can get. I watched some items go for more (sometimes MUCH more) that you could buy them at an online/real store.

I bought a brand new TREK Madone 5.9 on eBay for $1500. What a deal. Delivery has been a bit slow. If fact its been six months since I paid and I'm still waiting. But man when it does get here, it'll be a sweet ride.;)

Really, I've picked up a few things here and there. I'll bid on some stuff that a LBS would have had to order. Sometimes I'll get it quicker by bidding. But I still try to go to my local LBSs as much as possible.

Jaguar27 said:
Yes....to give an example, I swapped out the FSA OS115 stem on a six13 for a shorter one.....I bought a new one on ebay, then sold my "old" one, which was as good as new (1 week old) on ebay and the whole deal worked out great...the buyer got an "as new" stem for an excellent price and at the end of the day it cost me around $20 to change my stem....so we were both happy Campers....

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my almost new Ksyrium SSL wheels...It's a great way of doing upgrades...or swapping out parts...
What wheels do you want to upgrade to from the SSL's? If you're thinking about the Dura Ace wheel set, let me know I have a brand new set, still in the box. Are you not happy with the SSL's? Talk to you soon...Pat

I also saved around 40% off of retail by piecing together my Specialized Roubaix Pro. I got the Dura Ace 10 spc group for $1100, and some $220 bars for $100. Patience is the key, I also watched the frame set go for above retail. I bid on about five of them before I won one at a decent price. It should go without saying that you need to be very careful buying expensive itmes on ebay, do your homework ans don't get scammed.

I'm totally new to cycling so I don't know if I got a good deal or not, but I just bought a used 2000 Lemond Zurich with many upgrades to DA, all for less than $900. My local bike shop was trying to get me into a low end Lemond for $1600.

I once bought a pair of Maxxis Fuse tires from Cambria bike ( selling through ebay) and they have not come to this day.:mad:

Chance3290 said:
I bought a brand new TREK Madone 5.9 on eBay for $1500. What a deal. Delivery has been a bit slow. If fact its been six months since I paid and I'm still waiting. But man when it does get here, it'll be a sweet ride.;)

Really, I've picked up a few things here and there. I'll bid on some stuff that a LBS would have had to order. Sometimes I'll get it quicker by bidding. But I still try to go to my local LBSs as much as possible.

SIX Months!!!! I hope you get it.

Dominic Sansom said:
SIX Months!!!! I hope you get it.
It does not sound like you will get it. Six months sounds like a scam to me. I believe you only have 30 days from payment to notify Paypal if you do not get your item. The same thing happened to a friend of mine with a copier he bought that never came. He also waited too long to let Paypal know. His only recourse now is to file suit, get a judgment, and go collect. You should not miss your time for that. Depending on what state you are in, your timing may vary. You may want to sue the person in small claims court, get a judgment, and then see if you can track them down to collect. At a minimum, you should notify Paypal, and talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

I think the whole thing about waiting 6 months was a sarcastic joke, poking fun at the stupid scams that run on ebay advertising just about any bike you can think of for $1500. At least I hope so...:)

Chance3290 said:

There are a number of scams on ebay selling new bikes at unbelievable prices. If they asked you to pay useing western union or some other wire transfer your bike will never show up . I almost bought one myself but after they sent me fake ebay emails that look real I checked with ebay and found out they were fake.

OCRoadie said:
I also saved around 40% off of retail by piecing together my Specialized Roubaix Pro. I got the Dura Ace 10 spc group for $1100, and some $220 bars for $100. Patience is the key, I also watched the frame set go for above retail. I bid on about five of them before I won one at a decent price. It should go without saying that you need to be very careful buying expensive itmes on ebay, do your homework ans don't get scammed.

SNAP!

I got Specialized Roubaix Pro frame but went for a Campy Record carbon group, got a brand new pair of Zipp 303s for half retail. Just waiting for delivery of the bars... can't wait to take it for a spin.

Dominic Sansom said:
SNAP!

I got Specialized Roubaix Pro frame but went for a Campy Record carbon group, got a brand new pair of Zipp 303s for half retail. Just waiting for delivery of the bars... can't wait to take it for a spin.
Enjoy your Roubaix, I just started riding mine the first of the year and have 500 miles on it. It's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing on it. I considered putting record on it, but I got a great deal on Dura Ace. I have my SSL's from my old bike, so that saved some cash too. Did you get the frame off eBay?

Oh yeah. Ebay is great.

Primarily cycling apparel since most of the local shops carry only small selections of jerseys and such.

Picked up some nice upgrades at prices untouchable by local retail.....Thomson seatpost, Look pedals, Selle Italia saddle and a couple stems.

I try and support the LBS but also need to remember I am the consumer and it`s my hard earned cash.

Keep the ecomomy strong...spread the money around...lol. :D

OCRoadie said:
Enjoy your Roubaix, I just started riding mine the first of the year and have 500 miles on it. It's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing on it. I considered putting record on it, but I got a great deal on Dura Ace. I have my SSL's from my old bike, so that saved some cash too. Did you get the frame off eBay?

I got the frame from a small Australian bike shop. It was going very cheap. Everthing else apart from the bars (still waiting for FSA to release their new Plasma integrated bars) and saddle was from eBay.

I couldn't believe how much some people were bidding for these frames. You're right about being patient. You've got to tell yourself "there's always another auction".

I noticed that after a one frame sells for a good price there's a few more of the same withing a couple of days that go for a lot less.

Thats how I got the wheels. I set a price I wanted to pay and didn't bid more than my limit. Eventually the crazy bidders get what they want or give up. Prices are also lower during winter months. I found sniping software useful and a lot less stressful.

I had a good experience buying a brand new Kestrel Evoke bicycle frame off Ebay. Somebody in Chicago apparently acquired a truck-load of these things and is selling them one or two at a time.

It turned out to be just as advertised, brand new, still in it's factory box.

I've had bad experiences buying clothing, (I bought a jacket that smelled like cigarettes), but for the most part I've had good experiences on eBay.

I just bought a two-year-old Softride Rocket off eBay. It was great. I took a cashier's check and met him in Dayton and made the trade. It's in great shape and a sweet ride.

I've bought lots of other stuff, but that was my biggest ticket item to date.