Have you ever bought bike stuff on eBay.

we got some cool shimano road stuff on at the minute...the last of current stock at bargain prices!!!!

I've bought shorts, jerseys, helmets and a tire pump all from eBay - all items were in great condition - no major problems....

Only problem I had was one time I was bidding on a helmet and LED safety light and the seller's listing stated that they "prefer PayPal" as payment, so when I won this auction (I turned out to be the only bidder), I tried to use funds in my PayPal account to pay for the items, and the payment was rejected. I contacted the seller and they told me to use BidPay instead - however, I was unable to do that since BidPay doesn't take MasterCard-type cards (only Visa and American Express - pretty asinine if you ask me), and had to send a money order. I did receive the item - but made sure I scanned the money order after filling it out and e-mailed the seller a copy of the scanned image. I received the items less than a week later.

Bottom line - make sure your seller accepts PayPal.... :D

cyberlegend1994 said:
Bottom line - make sure your seller accepts PayPal.... :D

Or better yet stay away from anyone who states PayPal only sales. that service has got to be the most annoying, anti customer service, load of **** every produced.

I have bought dozens of items from eBay, but the two times I have tried to use PayPal they have ended in disaster. I have even been thanked by a number of sellers for not using it as it causes them so many hassels on their end.

Bought a lot of parts on ebay. Be patient, know what you want and what you are buying, leave it if it's more than than you want to pay, and watch the shipping costs. You will get some absolute bargains. The internet is the best thing to ever happen to do-it-your-selfers, tinkerers and home mechanics.:)

don't consider just ebay

some of the less busy auction sites can sometimes yield bargains.

same rules apply - be careful, look at the feedback, pay with a way that lets you get your money back if it goes wrong, be patient if you want something specific

Check these two out

Ebid

QXL

Chance3290 said:
I bought a brand new TREK Madone 5.9 on eBay for $1500. What a deal. Delivery has been a bit slow. If fact its been six months since I paid and I'm still waiting. But man when it does get here, it'll be a sweet ride.;)

Really, I've picked up a few things here and there. I'll bid on some stuff that a LBS would have had to order. Sometimes I'll get it quicker by bidding. But I still try to go to my local LBSs as much as possible.
6 months and no bike? You sure you haven't been screwed?

CB

What's your biggest gripe about eBay?

Aka, if you were to make it a better site for buying bikes, what would you change? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of starting a site, and wondering if there is room for improvement on what eBay offers. Any suggestions?

Dominic Sansom said:
I've spent the last 4 months building a bike from new parts that I got on eBay. I think I ended up paying 50-60% of the new, retail price for the whole bike.

I'd be interested to hear your eBay experiences.
I've gotten everything from a seat bag to a bike on ebay. Never any problems. I recently purchased Ultegra 9spd shifters at $85 less than my local lbs, including shipping. :D Also got brand new ultegra pedals and cleats for $100 less than my lbs. :eek: Best advice is know what retail at your lbs is, and also what you can get the item for from an online retailer, then bid accordingly. Make sure you take into consideration the shipping charges. Alot of sellers will inflate shipping to make more $$$.

Bought my first (and so far only) used clipless pedals and shoes (SPD) from a private seller on ebay. They came next day, were in good condition, and fit perfectly

EL34 said:
I was all set to win a new, long sleeve Descente winter jersey, a real bargin at $31 yesterday. I'm down to one minute to go and hit refresh. "You have been outbid." I quickly type in a new bid and submit. "Sorry, the auction has ended." Damnit!!! I was sniped.
Been there, had that done to me on many an occasion - happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME when trying to bid on Pearl Izumi stuff....

I have bought many bike things on ebay, but I just had my first sale of bike stuff. I sold two pairs of clipless pedals I no longer needed, and both transactions went super smooth. I was glad to be rid of equipment I didn't need while the high bidders were happy to get them. Now I have to figure out how to spend the $ I received on more bike stuff.

In the last month I've had a Trek Y33 arrive via Ebay (my 4th Y bike), a Trek t shirt and a Trek tyre pump. Ebay is the place for obsolete Trek stuff!

My Campy Neutron wheels from Ebay just arrived... they're taking me for a ride this afternoon. :D :D :D

::dom:: said:
My Campy Neutron wheels from Ebay just arrived... they're taking me for a ride this afternoon. :D :D :D
I have purchased two pairs of shoes, look pedals and shoe covers all for about half the cost at the LBS. I have found the best deals in England even with an added shipping cost.

You have lost your money 3290 and let me tell you why.

Some time back, perhaps 5 or 6 months ago, I saw probably 150 Trek bikes listed on eBay. Many were the Madone SSLx, SSL, Madone 5.9 and others. They were going for $1,000 to $2,000 bucks. I called my local Trek dealer and he told me that was a scam BECAUSE TREK DOES NOT SELL THEIR BIKES OUTSIDE OF THEIR AUTHORIZED DEALERS, PERIOD!!! The price you see on the Trek site is the price.

I contacted the so called seller on eBay and he started sending emails, wanting me to send him the cash and he would send the bike. I kept asking questions, and quickly realized it was a TOTAL scam. I told him he was a thief and within 15 minutes, ALL THE BIKES HE HAD LISTED ON ebay, WERE GONE! He took down the site. He disabled the email address he was using. I encountered this same person or persons several times over the next few days. He used various user names, scam stuff. I attempted and sent eBay emails to alert them of this. They seem to not give a damn. They called it spoof emails. I tried to tell these fools at eBay this was not spoof emails, but on their site. THEY DID NOTHING ABOUT IT.

So, I have closed down my eBay and PayPal accounts. To this day, I get probably 10 to 15 emails that my email system rejects as junk from various email addresses using eBay in them, trying to get me to log into my eBay account to put in FINANCIAL information. They also send emails saying that new addresses were added to my account and that I should log in to make sure they are or are not correct.

I NO LONGER USE EBAY. In my opinion, it is unsafe. You NEVER know whom you are dealing with. You have lost your money. It does not take 6 months to get the darn bike from Trek, because I just got a new SSL directly from my Trek dealer to go with my other 4 bikes. It took them 6 weeks to send the bike. Color you cash gone my friend, AND NEVER send money to anyone whom you cannot track. EVEN eBay. Sorry for the tough talk, but you should know the old saying, IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN IT IS PROBABLY NOT TRUE. You got ripped off. No 5.9. No money.

BikeRider19561 said:

Dude -

1. Welcome to Cycling Forums - I see this was your first post.

2. Learn to look at the post date, you're responding to a post that's almost a year old.

3. Learn to recognize emoticons - the winky face means "just joking" or something similar within context. Chance didn't get scammed, he's feigning getting scammed. Everybody here knows about all the ebay scams.

4. I've found ebay to be very good about taking down scam postings - whenever I see a scam I notify ebay and they take cancel the scammer (usually a hijacked account). I also e-mail anybody I see bidding on something I think is a scam just to be a good guy.

All that said, the phishing e-mails are getting much better (less obviously fraudulent). I don't wonder why they fool some people. That's a problem for ebay, but not a problem with ebay.

BikeRider19561 said:

Some time back, perhaps 5 or 6 months ago, I saw probably 150 Trek bikes listed on eBay. Many were the Madone SSLx, SSL, Madone 5.9 and others. They were going for $1,000 to $2,000 bucks. I called my local Trek dealer and he told me that was a scam BECAUSE TREK DOES NOT SELL THEIR BIKES OUTSIDE OF THEIR AUTHORIZED DEALERS, PERIOD!!! The price you see on the Trek site is the price.

I contacted the so called seller on eBay and he started sending emails, wanting me to send him the cash and he would send the bike. I kept asking questions, and quickly realized it was a TOTAL scam. I told him he was a thief and within 15 minutes, ALL THE BIKES HE HAD LISTED ON ebay, WERE GONE! He took down the site. He disabled the email address he was using. I encountered this same person or persons several times over the next few days. He used various user names, scam stuff. I attempted and sent eBay emails to alert them of this. They seem to not give a damn. They called it spoof emails. I tried to tell these fools at eBay this was not spoof emails, but on their site. THEY DID NOTHING ABOUT IT.

So, I have closed down my eBay and PayPal accounts. To this day, I get probably 10 to 15 emails that my email system rejects as junk from various email addresses using eBay in them, trying to get me to log into my eBay account to put in FINANCIAL information. They also send emails saying that new addresses were added to my account and that I should log in to make sure they are or are not correct.

I NO LONGER USE EBAY. In my opinion, it is unsafe. You NEVER know whom you are dealing with. You have lost your money. It does not take 6 months to get the darn bike from Trek, because I just got a new SSL directly from my Trek dealer to go with my other 4 bikes. It took them 6 weeks to send the bike. Color you cash gone my friend, AND NEVER send money to anyone whom you cannot track. EVEN eBay. Sorry for the tough talk, but you should know the old saying, IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN IT IS PROBABLY NOT TRUE. You got ripped off. No 5.9. No money.
The people out there on that damn Internet never cease to amaze me! (and I'm not talking about scammers...).