Have you ever crashed because of ice on the road?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
Have you ever crashed because of ice on the road? One day while biking out in the cold I was going only less than 22 mph not going high speed because of ice on the roads. I was worried that slick ice on the roads would make me crash. Has this ever happened to you? What kind of bike damage and injury did you get? Also, tell us what bike you used.

JTE83 said:
Have you ever crashed because of ice on the road? One day while biking out in the cold I was going only less than 22 mph not going high speed because of ice on the roads. I was worried that slick ice on the roads would make me crash. Has this ever happened to you? What kind of bike damage and injury did you get? Also, tell us what bike you used.
Funny you should ask. I went to Kroger for lunchmeat and bread for work last Monday night after the holiday and rode up the alley behind a strip mall not giving it (ice) any thought. It was cold, probably in the 20's but the roads were clear and dry.
In the alley there's a low spot where water puddles and it's shaded. I should have known better, I ride there all the time. Well I hit it at probably 15 mph and laid it down on the right side. It scared me more than it hurt, I have a small bruise on my thigh and I skinned my arm a bit, as the slide pulled my sleeve up to my elbow.
The bar tape needs replaced and I need to straighten the brake lever out but there's no other dammage to the bike.

I was on my Nishiki road bike with 700x25's on it.

Yeah a couple of times. Coming from Colorado and wanting to use a bike year round has its risks. I actually hydroplaned going downhill after a heavy rainstorm on a 10 speed once too. I am really just a healed walking bruise at this point.

I've been out in the ice a few times recently and its OK even fun. Obviously frozen puddles are not good but just frost is OK. I remember one morning when there was very thick frost and even in the higher gears you could easily spin the rear wheel with a bit of effort. It would be unpleasant to commute in those conditions where there are likely to be lots of moron motorists.

On the other hand one year it snowed and then the snow turned into sheet ice. Outside my house was a tyre track about 10 meters long and then it suddenly stopped. I fell off!

All my riding is done on a roadie with 700 x 23 tyres. Various cheapo crappy tyres to be slightly more vague.

Yes I have!

Loads when I was younger but no real damage done

One about four years ago, cut my knee and ripped the knee of a pair of brand new (first time out in them) Alexa ultratherm bib tights!

Have fallen off loads in the past, but had my first spill in about 8 years 2 weeks ago. Riding home from work via the off-licence with bottle of wine in the back pocket(what they were designed for!) the recent rain had frozen. Had managed to stay upright for over 3 miles, but 50 yards from home lost the front wheel. Grazed elbow, bruised hip and the lovely smell of red wine all through my clothes! What a twit!

Hi

I had my last spill of 2005 on december 28th. A friend and me were riding out to the woods on our MTB when we came across a piece of road that was fully (I emphasise: FULLY) covered in black ice. This was just a small road leading to a cemetary and further on to the woods, so no one had bothered to salt it. It was quite obvious what was going to happen, but with our knobby tyres and stuff, we thought we'd be cool and just ride over it. So we tried to go in as straight a line as we could and not to brake or accelerate and all seemed to go well, for a couple of yards at least. Finally it was me who went down when both of my tyres lost grip, which I attribute to the road being rather seriously cambered for draining purposes. Anyway, not much harm done, I slid along for a few yards and tore my tights (at the knee, thank you very much :rolleyes: , I could continue with decency). My bike carried on sliding for a few more yards and has some nice scratches on bar ends and QR's, so it must have reached a piece of road not covered in black ice.

Unbelievably, after we did our ride in the woods, we dared to return the way we came, crossing the same piece of ice for a second time. This time, we both got across it unharmed.

YES! On Xmas morning riding down to meet a club run. Slip on black ice and ripped the ****! out of my Brand new assos tights...! NOT A HAPPY CHAPPY!!!

I ride a MTB with studded snows and rear panniers in the winter and feel fairly confident once over confident. I was on ice riding up a hill behind my mechanics garage to hand him the keys to my van. I don't have studs on my shoes and when I planted my foot on the downhill side very embarrasing had to straighten my handle bars after that one.