Have you ever had a bicycle stolen from you while riding ?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
One time, while I was driving, I saw a man run up behind a biker, attack the biker, and take his bike! This happened in a somewhat bad neighborhood. The closest this has ever happened to me was when I passed up a biker on a cheap MTB in an ok neighborhood. I noticed that this biker was following me around, waiting for the right moment to jump on me and take my $3033 Cervelo Soloist Team bike. I hit on a parade with police around and just watched - so this thief had to leave me or look too suspicious just waiting for me.

Has this ever happened to you - your bike being taken from you while riding ? Did it happen in a good or bad neighborhood ? Was your bike covered by insurance and did they reimburse you completely or partially ?

I know Allstate will insure $15,000 worth of "sporting goods" and reimburse you only $3000 for loss - all for $45 / year.

theedge said:
Just speed up and loose the suspicious guy! :cool:

F that!

Beat his ass around the neck and head (note the proximity of anatomy) with your frame pump - you have a helmet and gloves on for crissake!

I think it is a bit of a worry when you can't lose a dodgy dude on a cheap mountain bike when you are riding a $3000 Cervelo!!!! :eek:

Were you spinning training in your lowest gear? Or had a flat?

runna said:
I think it is a bit of a worry when you can't lose a dodgy dude on a cheap mountain bike when you are riding a $3000 Cervelo!!!! :eek:

Were you spinning training in your lowest gear? Or had a flat?

Normally, I bike the Chicago Lakefront bike path, but that day I decided to take a city street bike ride for variety. On city streets with cars I bike between 18 to 22 mph because doors may open in front of you. And even when you pass up a slow biker - they can catch up to you because of stop signs. True, I could have put up the speed and just sped away from the guy, but I decided to watch the beatifual girls passing by from a German Parade.

I guess hardly anyone has had there bike stolen from them while biking - since there has been few responses to this post.

I just got $15,000 insurance for my bikes from Allstate for $33 a year. They'll pay me $3000 if my Cervelo gets stolen.

I kinda had mine stolen off me when i was sixteen. Riding to a friends house through town, and two guys stopped me and asked the time. After telling them they then threatened to beat me up if i didnt give him my watch. These guys were big and nasty looking and i was a puny 16 yo. So i gave him my 20 pound watch rather than get my ass whooped. Unfortunatley this only encouraged them and they went on to demand the jumper i was wearing and a cap. At this point they started looking at my bike, and demanded a "go" on it. I said no way and was quickly pinned against the wall and had to yield. They took my bike and rode around on it for five mins while i was pleading for it back. Eventually they must of got cold feet and gave it back to me but kept the other stuff.

After a trip to the police station and statement, photofit session i returned home. About two weeks later both men were arrested and jailed (ha, ha).

Not a totally stolen bike while riding, but i think the closest so far.

Once while I was riding in Toronto, some goof bumped his front tire into my rear
tire. I never heard him sneaking up on me. I don't know what he was trying to do. We were both going 40 km-hr, I heard a loud grating noise from behind, looked behind to see another cyclist riding my rear, but then he fell back. He fell way back and I just kept on going. Was he after my bike? I have no idea.

Never happened to me, but it almost did - when I was 7. I was riding in Central Park (yes that Central Park), when two older kids - like about 9 years old - came up to me and asked to take my bike for a ride. When I said no, they blocked my way. Fortunately my mom was nearby. She came over and they ran off. I hadn't thought of that episode in years (decades?) until I saw this thread.

My bike in those days (1969 or so) was a Schwinn with *solid tires*. I should've let them have it. :rolleyes:

Rob

First poster - you make a good point.
I've thought this might happen - a couple of guys in a plain car(not my bright orange MGB GT!) with the plates off or changed see a cyclist out by him/herself and decide to stop them and take the bike. What's the lone biker going to do?
I knew a man who knew a man to whom this happened with a motorbike - a Triumph.
There would be a frame number on the bike but the hoons aren't likely to think of that. They could just keep the bike or sell it later or sell it out of town later.
Here in New Zealand good road bikes are really expensive. There is a Look bike hanging in a shop for $16 900 retail !!(yes you read it right) that's a lot of $ to be gotten easily by theives.
It would be one of the reasons I wouldn't train on a very expensive bike.
Paulo

Fondriest, that' s almost exactly what happened to me - two big guys grabbed my handlebar and seat while I was stopped and wanted to take my new bike... I managed to talk them into taking my watch instead and letting me keep the bike.

Funny part is that this was in a crowded, open city street and the exchange must have taken a good 2 or 3 minutes. Guess I was just too young and afraid back then to risk doing anything - all I knew is that I wanted to keep my new bike!

A quick fix for anyone now scared to take their expensive bike out for training rides.....get some dupious water based paint and give the frame a quick repaint. Then, come race day - wash it off(in an environmentally sensitive way of course).

Paulo;)