Have you ever noticed...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pat, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a bike it
    will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a woman is
    the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
    AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

    Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these bikes
    and recycle them for the next ad program....

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. "Pat" wrote:
    > That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a bike
    > it
    > will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a woman is
    > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
    > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
    >
    > Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these
    > bikes
    > and recycle them for the next ad program....

    The one I've seen the most lately has about four middle aged guys riding
    road bikes pretty seriously. I think it's a commercial for a financial
    services company.

    I guess it depends on what the product is who the advertiser is trying to
    reach.

    Art Harris

  3. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

    bike it
    > will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

    woman is
    > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

    fenders
    > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
    >
    > Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these

    bikes
    > and recycle them for the next ad program....
    >
    > Pat in TX

    Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
    Maggie

  4. jj

    jj Guest

    On 8 Jan 2005 08:42:42 -0800, "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

    >bike it
    >> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

    >woman is
    >> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

    >fenders
    >> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
    >>
    >> Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these

    >bikes
    >> and recycle them for the next ad program....
    >>
    >> Pat in TX

    >Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
    >Maggie

    Hoping there's a scotsman on the second floor, lol?

    jj

  5. Conniebiker

    Conniebiker New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2005
    The Subaru commercial with Lance riding dirt was about the best I've seen.

  6. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pat wrote:
    > > That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

    > bike it
    > > will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

    > woman is
    > > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

    > fenders
    > > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
    > >
    > > Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these

    > bikes
    > > and recycle them for the next ad program....
    > >
    > > Pat in TX

    > Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
    > Maggie

    That all depends on where you work<g>

  7. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:16:15 -0600, Pat wrote:

    > and if a woman is
    > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
    > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

    The men seem a lot more rare than the woman--I've seen that image half a
    dozen times this week. She usually has a cardigan tied around her neck
    indicating that she's fit enough to have had to take it off.

    Too bad you can't actually buy a bike like that at any normal bike shop in
    the States.

  8. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "maxo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:16:15 -0600, Pat wrote:
    >
    > > and if a woman is
    > > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design

    with full fenders
    > > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

    > The men seem a lot more rare than the woman--I've seen

    that image half a
    > dozen times this week. She usually has a cardigan tied

    around her neck
    > indicating that she's fit enough to have had to take it

    off.

    > Too bad you can't actually buy a bike like that at any

    normal bike shop in
    > the States.

    There's something about a woman's bike with fenders and a
    basket.
    My (nonriding) wife saw this picture of such a bike turned
    into a lawn ornament and planter
    <http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=6582&password=&
    sort=1&size=medium&cat=507&page=>
    and now is convinced we should put something similar in our
    yard.

    I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
    impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
    get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
    little girls (no fenders, though).

  9. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:58:24 -0600,
    <[email protected]>,
    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
    >impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
    >get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
    >little girls (no fenders, though).

    The Pashely "Princess" is a full size step-through that comes stock
    with a wicker basket, bell, fender and skirt guard.
    --
    zk

  10. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
    > impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
    > get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
    > little girls (no fenders, though).

    I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more girlish
    than this:

    http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/66awj

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  11. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:43:12 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
    >> impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
    >> get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
    >> little girls (no fenders, though).

    > I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more girlish
    > than this:
    >
    > http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html

    That's not girlish, more punk rock ironic statement.:D

    The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
    now that's a nice ride!

  12. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:07:10 +0000, maxo wrote:

    > That's not girlish, more punk rock ironic statement.:D

    and for those whom wish to purchase the statement, go here:

    http://store.yahoo.com/sanriostore/33377.html

    325usd + 40 shipping.

    I think the guy in the Roadmaster/Schwinn thread should just give up and
    get one of these. LOL

  13. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    wrote:

    > >Pat wrote:
    > >> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding

    > >bike it
    > >> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

    > >woman is
    > >> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

    > >fenders
    > >> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
    > >>
    > >> Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep

    these
    > >bikes
    > >> and recycle them for the next ad program....
    > >>
    > >> Pat in TX

    > >Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
    > >Maggie

    > Hoping there's a scotsman on the second floor, lol?
    >
    > jj

    I seen enough ass.....I work with construction workers.
    Maggie

  14. Conniebiker <[email protected]> wrote
    in news:[email protected]:

    > The Subaru commercial with Lance riding dirt was about the best I've
    > seen.

    I thought it was the one where the kid on the BMX gets on this wheel.

  15. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Latondresse <[email protected]_spam_shaw.ca> writes:
    > [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more girlish
    >> than this:
    >>
    >> http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hell
    >> o_kitty_bi.html
    >>

    > OK Tom, explain to me how you got to that site and remember Fabs is
    > likely listening too.

    There was one in the display window at Black Sheep.
    The shocking pink colour caught my eye. I remembered
    the name/model of the bike and just Googled on it.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  16. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more

    girlish
    > than this:

    http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/66awj

    No, I don't think so. If it is, I'm not sure I want to see
    it.
    Those tires with the Hello, Kitty design are too much!

    Tires available separately at
    http://www.nirve.com/main/components/product.asp?cid=3007
    (under consideration as gag gift for daughter)

  17. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:
    > "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more

    > girlish
    >> than this:
    >>

    > http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html
    >> or
    >> http://tinyurl.com/66awj

    > No, I don't think so. If it is, I'm not sure I want to see
    > it.
    > Those tires with the Hello, Kitty design are too much!
    >
    > Tires available separately at
    > http://www.nirve.com/main/components/product.asp?cid=3007
    > (under consideration as gag gift for daughter)

    But wait! There's more! While Googling around I chanced
    upon a list of accessories on eBay. Including matching
    shocking-pink messenger bags.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  18. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    maxo <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:43:12 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

    > That's not girlish, more punk rock ironic statement.:D

    I guess even punk rocker chix can be girl-y girls,
    if they wanna.

    > The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
    > now that's a nice ride!

    I might have one (or something very similar) out in the garage.

    I might make a fixie out of my foundling lugged Araya --
    if I ever get the stuck seatpost out. My old Maxy pedals
    should look real psyck on 'er.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  19. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:05:56 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

    > I guess even punk rocker chix can be girl-y girls,
    > if they wanna.

    that's girrrrly girrrls. LOL

    >> The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
    >> now that's a nice ride!

    > I might have one (or something very similar) out in the garage.
    >
    > I might make a fixie out of my foundling lugged Araya --
    > if I ever get the stuck seatpost out.

    The lightweight single with fenders concept has turned out to be my daily
    beloved ride. Simple, clean, and no maintenance. I should get some of
    those cheap rodeo pedals from Nashbar as I keep switching mine between a
    cheesy set of spds and some vintage MKS quills. It's become both my go
    for a quick exercise bike and my run to the beer store ride as well. :p

    my version:
    http://photos1.flickr.com/2634911_5897979186.jpg

    a stuck seatpost is child's play if you have enough wd40 and patience. If
    you have some loose cotton from an aspirin bottle, wrap some around the
    frame/post intersection and give it a schpritz of said elixer, then let it
    seep overnight and you should be in business.