Have you ever noticed...

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:16:15 -0600, Pat wrote:

> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a bike it
> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a woman is
> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

And based on ads here, she's only able to ride the bike because she's
started taking a fibre supplement. It's symbolic of getting her life back
from the horrors of constipation, or something.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

I liked the Powerbar series, and the one with the kid on the TAB is the
best.

--Karen M.

Mike wrote:
>Those tires with the Hello, Kitty design are too much!

Now there's a heretofore missed marketing opportunity: Custom treads
with the message of your choice embedded in them.

Someone on rec.bicycles.soc (All vandespam, all the time) needs to see
this!

--Karen M.
baiting the troll

:
: And based on ads here, she's only able to ride the bike because she's
: started taking a fibre supplement. It's symbolic of getting her life back
: from the horrors of constipation, or something.

Yeah, and she doesn't ride enough to work up heavy breathing or that sweater
wrapped around her shoulders wouldn't be there. The whole ad just says
"bikes are toys that you use to hold the flowers you've gathered for your
basket--but not anything else."

Michael Warner wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:16:15 -0600, Pat wrote:
>
> > That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

bike it
> > will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

woman is
> > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

fenders
> > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

> And based on ads here, she's only able to ride the bike because she's
> started taking a fibre supplement. It's symbolic of getting her life

back
> from the horrors of constipation, or something.

Well, I started to ride a bike and eat more fibre at the same
time....maybe there is something to that commercial. When I was
raising my kids my sons wanted DUKES OF HAZARDS and INCREDIBLE HULK
bikes and Big Wheels that were of the macho persuasion. My daughter
wanted a Strawberry Shortcake bicycle and a Cabbage Patch big
wheel....and everything had to be pink and have baskets and bells. My
boys wanted air horns. Personally I had hand me down bikes from my
brother because my father did not think a girl should ride a bike. I
had to wait for big bro to get a new one and he would let me ride his.
He made a tomboy out of me despite parental pushing to ballet shoes. So
things are getting better. We've come a long way baby.
Maggie.

Conniebiker wrote:

> > I thought it was the one where the kid on the BMX gets on this wheel.

> I don't recall that one, though it sounds interesting.

http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/seelanceride/main.html

Really nice video and music. The kid catching Lance's wheel makes it
a classic. The next generation, hoping for his turn at the front,
makes his move on the current champion. It reminded me of the
following quote from Gen. George Patton:

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars
enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the
procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from
conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and
captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the
dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his
children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the
trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden
crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is
fleeting."

maxo <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:05:56 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:
>
>> I guess even punk rocker chix can be girl-y girls,
>> if they wanna.

> that's girrrrly girrrls. LOL

Or maybe girlie-grrlz? I've only heard the
phrase spoken; I've never seen it written ;-)

>>> The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
>>> now that's a nice ride!

>> I might have one (or something very similar) out in the garage.
>>
>> I might make a fixie out of my foundling lugged Araya --
>> if I ever get the stuck seatpost out.

> The lightweight single with fenders concept has turned out to be my daily
> beloved ride. Simple, clean, and no maintenance. I should get some of
> those cheap rodeo pedals from Nashbar as I keep switching mine between a
> cheesy set of spds and some vintage MKS quills. It's become both my go
> for a quick exercise bike and my run to the beer store ride as well. :p
>
> my version:
> http://photos1.flickr.com/2634911_5897979186.jpg

Sweet. Is that a track sprocket or a flip-flop hub?
And did you add on the rear brake, or was it just
already there? Either way, I imagine it's good to
have in snow & ice.

> a stuck seatpost is child's play if you have enough wd40 and patience. If
> you have some loose cotton from an aspirin bottle, wrap some around the
> frame/post intersection and give it a schpritz of said elixer, then let it
> seep overnight and you should be in business.

I kinda like that it's still stuck. It's like
having a big, stubborn ol' tree stump to have
a go at digging-out every now & then, just to
think about stuff while doing something physical.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:25:06 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

> Sweet. Is that a track sprocket or a flip-flop hub?
> And did you add on the rear brake, or was it just
> already there? Either way, I imagine it's good to
> have in snow & ice.

Neither. It's a Shimano cassette hub with spacers (home depot plumbing
section), a Shimano DX bmx cog, and a lockring. If I was doing it from
scratch, I'd get a cheap set of freewheel wheels from Nashbar for $60 or
so, re-dish, move the axle, and screw on a track cog.

The bike's formerly an old '78 Viscount so both front and rear 600 brakes
came with it. I switched it to 700c wheels from 27 which let me use skinny
fenders and 28c tires. The shifters were old school clamp on, so no
downtube braze-ons. :D Best thing was that a standard bmx chain fit w/o
shortening it.