Have you ever noticed...

Pat

Guest
That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a bike it
will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a woman is
the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these bikes
and recycle them for the next ad program....

Pat in TX

"Pat" wrote:
> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a bike
> it
> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a woman is
> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
>
> Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these
> bikes
> and recycle them for the next ad program....

The one I've seen the most lately has about four middle aged guys riding
road bikes pretty seriously. I think it's a commercial for a financial
services company.

I guess it depends on what the product is who the advertiser is trying to
reach.

Art Harris

Pat wrote:
> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

bike it
> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

woman is
> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

fenders
> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
>
> Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these

bikes
> and recycle them for the next ad program....
>
> Pat in TX

Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
Maggie

On 8 Jan 2005 08:42:42 -0800, "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Pat wrote:
>> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

>bike it
>> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

>woman is
>> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

>fenders
>> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
>>
>> Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these

>bikes
>> and recycle them for the next ad program....
>>
>> Pat in TX

>Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
>Maggie

Hoping there's a scotsman on the second floor, lol?

jj

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pat wrote:
> > That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding a

> bike it
> > will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

> woman is
> > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

> fenders
> > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
> >
> > Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep these

> bikes
> > and recycle them for the next ad program....
> >
> > Pat in TX

> Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
> Maggie

That all depends on where you work<g>

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:16:15 -0600, Pat wrote:

> and if a woman is
> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full fenders
> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

The men seem a lot more rare than the woman--I've seen that image half a
dozen times this week. She usually has a cardigan tied around her neck
indicating that she's fit enough to have had to take it off.

Too bad you can't actually buy a bike like that at any normal bike shop in
the States.

"maxo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:16:15 -0600, Pat wrote:
>
> > and if a woman is
> > the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design

with full fenders
> > AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?

> The men seem a lot more rare than the woman--I've seen

that image half a
> dozen times this week. She usually has a cardigan tied

around her neck
> indicating that she's fit enough to have had to take it

off.

> Too bad you can't actually buy a bike like that at any

normal bike shop in
> the States.

There's something about a woman's bike with fenders and a
basket.
My (nonriding) wife saw this picture of such a bike turned
into a lawn ornament and planter
<http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=6582&password=&
sort=1&size=medium&cat=507&page=>
and now is convinced we should put something similar in our
yard.

I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
little girls (no fenders, though).

Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:58:24 -0600,
<1105206871.99c3e6aa7cb9a924701c91a81288549f@teranews>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
>impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
>get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
>little girls (no fenders, though).

The Pashely "Princess" is a full size step-through that comes stock
with a wicker basket, bell, fender and skirt guard.
--
zk

In article <1105206871.99c3e6aa7cb9a924701c91a81288549f@teranews>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:

> I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
> impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
> get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
> little girls (no fenders, though).

I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more girlish
than this:

http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/66awj

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:43:12 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <1105206871.99c3e6aa7cb9a924701c91a81288549f@teranews>,
> "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I think it's the girlishness of the bike, which gives the
>> impression that the rider is still youthful. You still can
>> get these step-through designs with a wicker basket for
>> little girls (no fenders, though).

> I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more girlish
> than this:
>
> http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html

That's not girlish, more punk rock ironic statement.:D

The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
now that's a nice ride!

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:07:10 +0000, maxo wrote:

> That's not girlish, more punk rock ironic statement.:D

and for those whom wish to purchase the statement, go here:

http://store.yahoo.com/sanriostore/33377.html

325usd + 40 shipping.

I think the guy in the Roadmaster/Schwinn thread should just give up and
get one of these. LOL

wrote:

> >Pat wrote:
> >> That on television commercials using bicycles, if a man is riding

> >bike it
> >> will be a beach cruiser type with longhorn handlebars--- and if a

> >woman is
> >> the rider, her bike will be the old step-through design with full

> >fenders
> >> AND have a wicker basket on the handlebars?
> >>
> >> Just something I noticed recently. Commercial makers must keep

these
> >bikes
> >> and recycle them for the next ad program....
> >>
> >> Pat in TX

> >Ever notice the glass ceiling when you are at work and look up?
> >Maggie

> Hoping there's a scotsman on the second floor, lol?
>
> jj

I seen enough ass.....I work with construction workers.
Maggie

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike Latondresse <mikelat@no_spam_shaw.ca> writes:
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more girlish
>> than this:
>>
>> http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hell
>> o_kitty_bi.html
>>

> OK Tom, explain to me how you got to that site and remember Fabs is
> likely listening too.

There was one in the display window at Black Sheep.
The shocking pink colour caught my eye. I remembered
the name/model of the bike and just Googled on it.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more

girlish
> than this:

http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/66awj

No, I don't think so. If it is, I'm not sure I want to see
it.
Those tires with the Hello, Kitty design are too much!

Tires available separately at
http://www.nirve.com/main/components/product.asp?cid=3007
(under consideration as gag gift for daughter)

In article <1105223138.bb8a486794670a597123cb8a71b84793@teranews>,
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I don't think it's possible for a bike to get much more

> girlish
>> than this:
>>

> http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2003/11/this_girl_needs_a_hello_kitty_bi.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/66awj

> No, I don't think so. If it is, I'm not sure I want to see
> it.
> Those tires with the Hello, Kitty design are too much!
>
> Tires available separately at
> http://www.nirve.com/main/components/product.asp?cid=3007
> (under consideration as gag gift for daughter)

But wait! There's more! While Googling around I chanced
upon a list of accessories on eBay. Including matching
shocking-pink messenger bags.

cheers,
Tom

--

maxo <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:43:12 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

> That's not girlish, more punk rock ironic statement.:D

I guess even punk rocker chix can be girl-y girls,
if they wanna.

> The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
> now that's a nice ride!

I might have one (or something very similar) out in the garage.

I might make a fixie out of my foundling lugged Araya --
if I ever get the stuck seatpost out. My old Maxy pedals
should look real psyck on 'er.

cheers,
Tom

--

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:05:56 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

> I guess even punk rocker chix can be girl-y girls,
> if they wanna.

that's girrrrly girrrls. LOL

>> The nice lugged single with gorgeous fenders beside the kitty bike,
>> now that's a nice ride!

> I might have one (or something very similar) out in the garage.
>
> I might make a fixie out of my foundling lugged Araya --
> if I ever get the stuck seatpost out.

The lightweight single with fenders concept has turned out to be my daily
beloved ride. Simple, clean, and no maintenance. I should get some of
those cheap rodeo pedals from Nashbar as I keep switching mine between a
cheesy set of spds and some vintage MKS quills. It's become both my go
for a quick exercise bike and my run to the beer store ride as well. :p

my version:
http://photos1.flickr.com/2634911_5897979186.jpg

a stuck seatpost is child's play if you have enough wd40 and patience. If
you have some loose cotton from an aspirin bottle, wrap some around the
frame/post intersection and give it a schpritz of said elixer, then let it
seep overnight and you should be in business.