Have you ever purchased bicycling related items online?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by steve, Nov 1, 2004.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Please take a minute to complete this poll.

regards,

Tags:

2. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

I have never had a problem and once I ordered the wrong type bottom bracket and GLory cycles sent me the right type out free shipping and they didn't wait for me to send the one I had back. Ebay is another story as you really have to pay attention to the descriptions. ALso you have to ask the right questions. I have gotten things that weren't quite what I wanted, but when I look at the description I find that they weren't trying to mislead me I just didn't look carefully.
    I buy stuff on the web but still try to support my local bike shop.

3. blazingpedals

blazingpedals New Member

It's unfortunate, but I've almost given up on my LBS. Every time I go in there looking for a part, I'm disappointed. LX Shifters? No have got. Cassettes? Nope. Tires? Well, we have these two road tires and 3 or 4 knobbies... The last time I had them order the tires I wanted, it took 6 weeks. By then I'd given up and bought them from a 'virtual storefront' and got them in 3 days.

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Glory cycles seem pretty good, they used to advertise with us abit last year so we like 'em ;)

5. OCRoadie

OCRoadie New Member

I just recently started buying bike stuff online, so far I've been lucky with some great deals and no problems. Ebay can be a great source as long as your careful about what and who you buy from. There are plenty of scams online, I recently posted a thread about a scam where some jacka$$ tried to sell me a De Rosa King with Campy Record for $2700 (if it's too good to be true it is).

6. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'll keep this poll active for a few more days.

cheers

7. DarrylZ

DarrylZ New Member

Having been burnt by the e-bay scenario some years ago, have at all costs avoided purchasing anything online.

But recently purchased some cranks & rear derailer from a crowd in Ireland called Total cycling, and had a quite pleasant experience with it arriving as specified and in good order to my door in 6 working days and considerably cheaper than what i could get it for anywhere locally.

Rgds
    D

8. hophead

hophead New Member

I've had no problems buying bike parts on line. I try to give my LBS first crack, but like others have mentioned, stock is very limited and my LBS is fairly well stocked as bike shops go. Seems like the west coast shops are a bit better stocked especially with Mtn bike components.

9. ubdawg

ubdawg New Member

Bike related items. Ha! I bought a whole bike.

Purchased a Windsor Fens off of bikesdirect.com about two months ago. Its my first road bike so the price and components were perfect for me. I just finished my second triathlon/duathlon this weekend and it handles great. I also bought a pair of Sette shoes off of pricepoint.com. I'll probably start looking at aerobars next and by them off of pricepoint if I can't find them any cheaper.
    The rest of my stuff i bought at the local shop or REI.

Why pay more than you have to?

10. szbert

szbert New Member

I think giving advertisers of this forum a shot is a good idea. They support our 'habit'. Just let them know how you were referred.

11. Trekker2017

Trekker2017 New Member

I tend to buy cycling clothes on line and tires. When I need hardware, I peddal on down to my local cycling shop and have a cup of coffee with the owner.

12. soonerschwinn

soonerschwinn New Member

I buy probably 90% of my cycling stuff online. Also my motorcycle stuff, truck stuff, car stuff, boat stuff.........you get the idea.

SS

13. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

Yes, tires, MT. bike shorts, shoes, and new old stock drive train parts for my Campagnolo C Record group. All my purchases were off of Ebay, but I sure wouldn't rule out doing business with some of the online bike stores. I still try to give my LBSs most of my business.

Not unlike the availability of New and Used car "Bluebook" values online, which tend to keep car dealer prices "honest", access to online bike products tends to keep LBS prices competitive with online prices, when you include shipping and handling. Seems like a true "Win Win" situation for the buyer to me!

14. KGnagey

KGnagey New Member

I shop at the LBS for parts, I believe in supporting them more than some online company, I would glady pay a few bucks more (with in reason) to support them. But I have shopped and ordered online, from trusted sources, for clothing and misc. stuff I can't find at the LBS.

15. mtnbiker888

mtnbiker888 New Member

i byu alot of my bike parts online all of the lbs in my area
    have all sram or rockshox and my kona is all shimano and marzocchi

16. Ruedy

Ruedy New Member

I've bought accessories on line.....Racks, bags, tools and such.

17. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

Yes, a lot. I would prefer to get stuff from my LBS, but the stock is just too limited in many categories. I will support them through mechanical work and new bikes, but rarely for parts. There is just so much more to choose from in the online world than any bike shop I've ever seen.

18. philhudson

philhudson New Member

i agree, and also its generaly cheaper!

19. Scottish Roadrunner

Scottish Roadrunner New Member

Not only did we buy my bike online, we have also bought some jerseys.:)

20. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

I am too chicken to buy a bike online. Unless I actually rode a bike just a little, I don't know if it would fit or feel right.