Have you ever purchased bicycling related items online?

I've bought some cycling jerseys online, because the brands are hard to get in Australia. Other than that i always go to my LBS, partly because i'm relying on his advice and expertise about certain things and partly because he's my sponsor and gave me a good discount when i bought my bike from him. The guy who owns the LBS has always done the right thing by me in terms of advice and prices.

I just picked up an 05' Dura Ace Groupo for $1099. I would have been willing to pay my LBS slighter more, but he wanted $1400+. I gave him the oppurnity for my business, but that was too much of a savings to pass up. I explained this to him and he is still building and fitting my new bike and he is selling me the bars & stem. I haven't had any problems buying online through ebay or the stores.

I try to buy from my LBS but economics mean they usually don't have it. It used to be I could buy Dura Ace components from my LBS at a good discount over mail order/on line. Those days are GONE with the price fixing by Shimano NA. And it appears Campy is now goin the route of price fixing. Bull.

I just ordered a reduced grupo of 7800 (DA10) from overseas. ~$1200, minus hubs. 2 day shipping INCLUDED in the above price.

I buy almost everything online. I use a local mech though. 30-40% saving online is not uncommon. I would´nt be riding a Scott Cr1 if I did´nt shop online, I just would not afford it.

Weisse Luft said:
I try to buy from my LBS but economics mean they usually don't have it. It used to be I could buy Dura Ace components from my LBS at a good discount over mail order/on line. Those days are GONE with the price fixing by Shimano NA. And it appears Campy is now goin the route of price fixing. Bull.

I just ordered a reduced grupo of 7800 (DA10) from overseas. ~$1200, minus hubs. 2 day shipping INCLUDED in the above price.

Just for giggles, I asked for a quote from my LBS, all discounts included.

$1600! And they would have to ORDER it, taking TWO WEEKS!

I ordered it from overseas for $1152 and it took 5 days to come in. The only thing they didn't have was the tools to install the BB. Went over to the LBS and guess what? No Park BBT-9!!!!

I built a complete bike....... Fuji Reynolds 853 frame and 100% campy equipment with 90% new items purchased on eBay. I figure the bike cost me 1/2 the retail price...... CAD$1,200 as compared with the 'on sale' list of around CAD$2,500

i recently made my first online bike purchases. I live in South Africa, and had family travelling in the US, so took the opportunity to buy some things cheaply. I had the stuff delivered to another family member in the US, so I only had to pay local postage rates.

I used JensonUSA (www.jensonusa) to buy a helmet, two chains, and a cassette. I was very impressed by the service and the prices they offered. Any email queries (and I had a lot) were answered very quickly, and dealt with the issues. They also offer a great price match facility which I had the opportunity to see working. Would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to make online purchases.

Also tried to buy a HRM from supergo (www.supergo.com) but they struggled to verify my bank details so the transaction couldn't take place. However, the level of service from supergo wasn't as good as jensonusa. My emails were ignored on a few occasions, and I almost missed the opportunity to buy the HRM as they took a while to get back to me regarding the bank details.

In the end I bought the HRM from an amazon.com associated company. Think it was called bikesomewhere.com. Good price, but two-day delivery evened it out.

My experience with buying online was overall very good. It allowed me to take advantage of paying US prices and avoiding the costs of international postage. To give you and idea of the cost saving of just one item, I bought a Giro Pneumo helmet for $109, and in South Africa it would have cost the equivalent of over $300. I had similar savings on all items.

Ive bought online a few times, I got most of a bike's componentry from CBO once, but after my last order I dont think Ill go back again. I ordered some pedals and a few other parts and there were some screws missing when the package was delivered, as it had opened in transit. I mailed them back sayingt there were some missing cleat screws, and could they include them in the shipping of the backordered part, but they so far havent responded to a few emails, and the backordered pedal arrived without the extra screw.

till

Well got the bike at the local LBS and most the clothing. But now buying stuff online as needed. Performance online sales are quite good in my book (no affiliation). But then I guess our local LBS has pretty good stock since they sponsor a race team and carry quite a range of bikes. Like hitting the LBS to pick up knowledge on maintenance and always nice this time of year to get ideas for presents. Recently checked online prices for replacement chains and such and found the LBS quite competitive with online sales so don't feel like I am wasting money.

I tend to buy tires, clothes and random gear online but still go to my LBS for tune ups, etc.

It doesn't help that I have mixed feelings about my LBS. When we bought our road bikes from them the manager was our best friend and gave us some great deals on upgrades, etc. However, the first time I had a problem he was a complete jackass about it. If it wasn't for one of his sales guys stepping up and taking care of me I wouldn't set foot in that store again.

mtnbiker888 said:
i byu alot of my bike parts online all of the lbs in my area
have all sram or rockshox and my kona is all shimano and marzocchi
I buy most clothing online, mainly for the price break that seems more prevelant on the web. Try www.totalcycling.com from Ireland. You will be surprised at the export pricing on some items. Service/delivery is top notch.

Mike

I bought a Douglas Fusion road bike from Colorado Cyclist a couple of years ago online. It is a magnificent machine at a truly unbelievable price. I regret not purchasing my new road bike from my LBS but they could not come close to - a 17.5 Lb. road bike with full Ultegra group for the money. The frame is high quailty aluminum with carbon fiber front and rear (seat stays). Price - $1,300. Huntington, New York.

I make a point of buying something every time I get some help from my LBS otherwise I buy a lot of stuff online (far too much stuff). I have had excellent service and got great deals every time. I have used the following:
ebay (bid what the item is worth to you - don't try and steal it.
euroduds.com
probikekit.com
performancebike.com
glorycycles.com

Santa beware!
After poring over every catalogue put out by the online people -- and they roll in in great quantities at this time of year -- my 10-year-old son focused on one jersey he really wanted.
So, "Santa" ordered them online from BikeNashbar, along with a snazy pair of glasses he needs and a cycling Dvd he'll enjoy.
Christmas shopping made easy, Santa thought gleefully!
What Santa didn't think about was that because we order from various online companies with some frequency, my son recognizes their mailing labels. And because I've never suggested that he ought not open the packages when they come in ...
He was wearing his Christmas present when I got home from work last night!
So, I guess Christmas came early.
And I learned a valuable lesson, which I share with you if you're ordering by mail this year.

Yes, I have, mainly relatively lightweight parts, ie less than 1 kg, and mainly from the US via online auction/buy it now, where I have been able to check the reliability of sellers. I have found that these sellers are keen to do business with Australia, probably more so than US on-line cheap bikeshops and respond quickly with queries about postage etc.

Steve

Usually buy my tires on-line, for me there is quite a few bucks to save buying Michelin Pro Race from the UK rather than here, save around EUR 9 per tyre, even counting the shipping costs.

Hi "fatbottomedgirl", I think you will definitely be seen with those on your bike! :D Here sun sets around 3 p.m. this time of year so definitely something to consider!

I live in one of the most remote state capitals in the world, Perth, West Australia. We are closer to Singapore than our capital, Canberra, so Overseas purchase options are most attractive.

Harris Cyclery in the USA consistently outships everyone else, soooo fast, and freight prices, USPS Ordinary Air Mail, so low.

Well done Tom, Sheldon, and the team!! :)

The virtual marketplace is the future. Brick and mortar stores are needed for personal items and where immediate availability is critical.

-TexasSpoke