Have you ever thrown up doing a VO2 max interval?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by K50, Apr 23, 2006.

1. K50

K50 New Member

I thought this might be an intersting poll. I'm sure everyone has a story to tell! :D
    Personally, I haven't, but I've been sooooo close. It's incredibly painful for that short amount of time, but as soon as it's over, the pain is gone! Man I love this sport!

Tags:

2. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Can't vote here until tomorrow, after I've completed my first vo2max test. Still, you've made my day by telling me there is a possibility of my throwing up.:rolleyes:

3. K50

K50 New Member

:D lol, on the other hand, I could have told you it's no sweat! VO2 max and the like are probably some of those types of things in life that seperate the 'boys from the men'. It's not easy, otherwise we'd all be doing it, right?

I think I read once that Lemond said "It never gets easier, the competition just gets tougher" or something to that effect about competing. It may look easy for pros, but they work just as hard as the bottom guys do.

Well it's all worth it, I say! Aerobic fitness is one thing, but if you want to get really fast you've gotta put in more than just LT intervals. And the reassuring thing is that the more you do it, the easier it becomes! (I know that sounds contradictory, but I mean that initially it's very painful, and after you compete and train hard for a few years, you get used to the hard efforts and the pain isn't as intense as it first was). Your limits just get boosted.

4. pod

pod New Member

Never felt like throwing up myself, just felt completely knackered and breathing very heavy. On the other hand my son has on several occasions said that he felt like throwing up after overdoing it to beat me up hills (and on the most recent occasion lagging behind and walking the last part) but I haven't seen him actually throw up with these efforts.

5. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

I dont find the VO2max does it, but I just started some 2x10 minute anaerobic sessions of 15secs on/15secs off at 150FT/50FT and that was the first time I came close to throwing up. Then, just like you say, soon as it's over.....YEAH!!!
    I does get easier, I probably wont reach the same heights with this session now I've got the first one dialled.
    Then again I didn't manage full power during the second 10 minutes, so who knows!

6. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

I feel like throwing up only sometimes. Funny question, but it's true. To tell you the truth, I felt more like throwing up after I pounded out a 71 mile ride and then had to get dressed and go to work for 2 hours... after slamming down about 750 ml of almond milk, an energy bar, fruit, and whatever other food was laying around. When I ride hard in race rides, my lungs start to hurt and my chest area starts becoming painful... you know, the "I'm riding so hard I can't ride any harder" feeling. No vomitous, though. Lucky for me!

7. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

Never felt the urge to vomit.

Fortunately for me, v02 max power is by far my greatest strength.

I did a 12 minute climb on saturday in which I sustained an average power that was 94% of my v02 max power.

At the top I felt amazing. Felt like I wanted to do the climb again.

By the way, my racing dicipline is cyclocross :p which is lots and lots of time at v02 max power.

8. K50

K50 New Member

That's awesome guys! Yeah, actually yesterday I was doing 3x4s at 90-95%MHR and there aren't any good, long climbs around where I live, so once I got to the top, it was suddenly easy, then about 2 minutes later I was climbing again and that shock from ON-OFF-ON is what just about did me. But normally, I just get that nice intense burning in the lungs. I think what I eat before the ride will also make a huge difference. I can definitely see that eating certain foods that don't normally sit too well even without exercise, or eating too soon before a ride could easily do me in on that one lol.

@mattv2099, that's impressive man. That's one of my goals for this season (and maybe next season) to greatly improve my VO2 max and the amount of time I am able to stay in that range. Previously, I have never really done much training in the upper ranges, mostly because I didn't want to overtrain in my first couple seasons of training and racing. But this year, I want to just give'r and get as fast as I possibly can!
    I think if you can stay at your upper range like that for longer periods of time than most others, you probably have a huge advantage on climbs and in races. That's cool!

9. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

Last year was my first year training, second yaer racing. I race cat A cyclocross and expert mtb but my goal this year is become the state hill climb champ in cat 4. lol (I don't road race).

10. whoawhoa

whoawhoa New Member

How did you determine what your v02max power is? Also, what % of vo2max power is your FT?

Nice to have another 'cross racer on the forum. Are you planning on racing with your PT on next season?

11. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

I use my powertap SL and did 5 minutes all out. Result was 385 AP 388 NP. Following the protocol's of Coggan's new power meter book.

However, this test was almost 2 months ago, immediately after I got my PT. I did not do any intervals since november but I did a lot of long hard group rides in the order of 4-5 hours with cat 1,2,3's over the winter.

My 5m power has probably risen since. I recently did a 6 minute test in which my AP was 377 and my NP was 391.

The 12 minute hill climb I did this weekend had an AP of 359 and NP of 371.

My FT is determined to be 318 watts based on a 335 20m AP. I believe this FT is very close. My highest 1h NP is 319 watts.

So my FT is 82.6% of my v02max power. However, I believe my v02 max power is probably higher than I have previously tested.

This is a weakness I've felt I've had for a long time. I really feel as though I need to increase my FT as a percentage of my v02max power. As of today I am embarking on Hunter Allen's 8 week threshold program.

I wish. However my SL is laced to a clincher AC 350 and I use tubuler Ksyrium's in 'cross. Maybe next year I will buy another PT with my tax return for 'cross racing.

12. ChangMan

ChangMan New Member

Never puked during practice, but once after a TT.