Have you found this Tour 2005 boring?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by mareblu, Jul 18, 2005.

1. mareblu

mareblu New Member

As much as I love Lance and the Discovery team, I have to admit that seeing Lance with the yellow jersey so early on, makes the Tour this year a little boring and more predictable.

Wouldn't you have liked to see other cyclists wear the yellow throughout the stages and maybe after the last individual time trial steal it for the last win?

ciao a tutti
    Au Revoir
    Nos vemos

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Same here! The tour has become too predictable in a way. I do like the mountain stages and the TTT and I love to see someone of Armstrongs talent take off in a chase but it would be a lot more exciting if there were a little more mystery in the outcome.
    My proof = Hincappies win envoked a ton more conversation than the Armstrong/Basso duel which will have a lot more to do with the outcome.

3. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

I agree.... although very successful Discovery’s tactics for riding as fast as they can on all stages does one thing; it prohibits anyone breaking away which makes for very boring racing….. I like Lance as well but I’m looking forward to a new era of new riders on a level playing field…. After 5 years of Indurain and 7 years of Armstrong I just want to watch some bike racing……. I cannot wait for next year…….

4. Crankster

Crankster New Member

There was a successful breakaway in every single mountain stage.

As to breakaways on the flats - GC contenders will not be allowed to get into breaks regardless of what team Discovery does. Rasmussen will be marked by T-mobile and CSC, Mancebo will be marked by Gerolsteiner, etc.

Most "nobody" breakaways on the flats were brought back by sprinter teams.

Expect more of the same next year.

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

If you watched this year's Giro you will understand what I'm saying..... the best racing I have seen in 10 years........ expect the Tour organisation to define a route which does not allow for these types of shenanigans.........

6. Crankster

Crankster New Member

And what "shenanigans" are those?

Part of the difference between Giro and Tour is that Tour is much more competitive, with every single stage very hotly contested. All the key players show up at the Tour, wile Giro is more of a mostly italian playground. Not sure what Tour organizers can do about this.

7. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

I'm sorry the Tour is still boring this year compared to the Giro.... The Giro being a ProTour event had all the same teams as the Tour bar the wildcards.... you obviously didn't watch it but it was thrilling everyday.......

If your calling Basso, Di Luca, Simoni and Saveldelli, McEwen et al are not key players then I don’t know who is......

The Tour organisation has already stated that it plans to change the route dramatically next year to stop sprinters team from forming trains and to stop teams like Discovery riding the first part of a mountain stage at 70km an hour..... watch out for big mountains at the very start of the stage with flat in between followed by another big mountain at the end... this is to get rid of pacing which has ruined the sport..... v.boring.......

I think some of you LA bandwagon’ers will be pleasantly surprised when you see some real racing next year…. You may learn to love the sport rather than one man.

8. rejobako

rejobako New Member

As an aside, I find it interesting that WBT is a big fan of Ullrich, who, for all his success, is probably among the most "boring" cyclists who has ever ridden in a peleton. If Armstrong did not exist, Ullrich would probably have won 5 or 6 TdFs himself, in a style that would make Armstrong/Discovery seem like daredevil hellions.

The event may be boring you because one man is physically and tactically superior to all others, but that's not the fault of the organizers or the route. It's the fault of the other competitors for not being up to the challenge. The Tour has done everything it can to minimize Disco's advantage -- changing the time trial rules, having fewer time trial kilometers, and reducing the number of mountain finishes. Still, Lance dominates. Good thing he's retiring; next year they'd make him compete on a unicycle.

Was Merckx any more exciting? Hell, he'd go off at the beginning of a stage and the race was over after 10K. Ho hum . . . ;)

9. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

I am not sure if the Tour will quit return to be as entertaining as it once was. The possibilities of a breakawy surviving without the peloton letting it survive is next to none now. Thanks to all the technological advances, teams know exact to the km to starting chasing them down. They did a behind the scenes look to the future technology on the US coverage, and it looks like its possible that by 2008, anyone can click on a specific rider on the computer during the race and be able to pull up his exact position on the course, his speed, and his power output. You know every Team Director will have this available to him, thus making it even easier to calculate the catch. SOmewhere on this board or maybe in a interview at the TDf, mentioned that Lance is more like a "Computerized Program" the way he has used technology to find his improvements, etc. Its possible, that in 5-10 every rider will be able to be looked at by DS's as a "Computerized Program"

10. rejobako

rejobako New Member

LOL!!! I love the belittling arrogance bit -- it suits you. Many of us who are Armstrong fans do indeed love the sport beyond his involvement. In the meantime, some of you people who loathe him because he's kicking Jan's arsch again would be pleasantly surprised if you watched the race more objectively -- you might learn to love the sport instead of hate one man.

(By the way, some of us are still waiting for Jan to chase down the little rabbit like he did all spring. After all, you gave us an iron-clad guarantee -- inside information -- "mark my words", I think you said . . . ;) Tomorrow, maybe?)

11. Crankster

Crankster New Member

1. I watched every minute of this year's Giro, thanks for asking

2. You misspelled "Savoldelli"

3. While DiLuca was one of the key players in 2005 Giro, he is more of a classics man and was never a key player in any of previous Grand Tours. So I fail to see how it supports your point.

4. Weaker teams, lower-key players, less prestige -> closer results. A possible scenario for this year's Giro would be - Basso grabs a lead at first ITT or first mountain stage. Holds it till the end. The race is over as Savoldelli, DiLuca and Simoni fight it out for second. You start complaining that Giro is boring and everyone should watch Vuelta instead.

12. meehs

meehs New Member

Yeah, I think it has been a little boring. Especially when compared to this year's Giro. The last couple of stages in the Pyrenees have been somewhat interesting. It's been fun watching Basso, Ullrich and Armstrong ride away from the rest of the top GC contenders. And Vino's aggressivness has made things a bit more interesting. It was nice to see Big George win a stage yesterday (something that he nor any other of LA's teammates past or present had ever been able to do before).

I just wish that once someone would (I should say could I suppose) launch an attack that would really put Armstrong in distress. As always, I've enjoyed watching but it has been just a bit boring. It'll be fun to see what happens in 2006 with LA absent.

13. homeycheese

homeycheese New Member

Let's face it folks, everyone "views" the tour through a biased lens. In addition much of that is affected by whether you are watching live, listening to an audio feed, reading a webcast or seeing it in person. Thanks to OLN in the states we get bludgeoned with LA, anytime, all-the-time and I'm an LA fan.

Despite what many of you see as boring, there are numerous stories within the story, little operatic events and some intrigue especially if you look hard enough.

Yesterday, with the Hincappie story, was one of the truly inspired days in cycling.

Look harder at this years TdF and you saw the DZ triumph and tragedy, the angst with his team, the TMO disfunction, Vino's pluck, the sprint leader drops out, the ascent of Valverde and his subsequent WD, Rasmussen out of nowhere and other such stories within the story.

All that being said, the TV coverage from OLN and their "edited" nightime replays leaves a lot to be desired and makes it very hard to find some of these stories and see anything but the "boring" results. As an example, OLN (like others) gets the live feed from Frencg broadcast on the road and on numerous occasions, chooses which feeds to show, often jumping away from some exciting moves within a break to show the same boring shot of the Discovery team pulling up front. I've also seen shots from the motorbikes where they got to talk to the riders and that buffoon Al Trautwig drones on incessently about something totally meaningless rendering the chance to hear what is being said totally muted. (that's my anti-OLN rant for the week).

All that diatribe aside, I see a lot of what is happeing in this years tour as less than boring and let's face it, we would have no green, polka-dot or white jerseys if the tour organizers themselves didn't think the whole thing could get a little tedious at times.

14. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

this tour has been much better than last years tour.

15. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

The peloton is simply not as lazy as it was until the mid 1980's. The reason is because there is so much at stake in the Tour: media exposure, sponsorship stakes, etc. It used to be that riders had to focus on the other races throughout the year in addition to the Tour. This forced them not to push so hard in the peloton. It's not that way anymore. That's why there is so much pressure to push the pace in the peloton now compared to what it was. It's quite an effort just to keep up. Before, it might have been considered rest days for GC contenders to spend in the peloton on the flat stages. That's not the case anymore. It won't go back to the way it was even when Armstrong retires. It's still going to be a big race when he's gone. It's still going to be where the top roadies want to make their marks.

16. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

We had two occasions where that could have happened - occasions where the team wasn't there for him. The attacks were launched. He was up to those occasions. Can't blame him for that!

I think the comparison someone else made with Merckx is apt - when EM would fly, everyone else fell behind. I didn't see those Tours, but they couldn't have been very exciting either.

17. scott0425

scott0425 New Member

When looking at GC, yeah, boring b/c LA's past history tells us the race is over...I know, I know....this or that could still happen (maybe the camera motorcycle will hit him instead of a fan)....but as others have noted, there are still other interesting aspects to follow...
    Next year will be interesting b/c no matter who is leading, there will be speculation that they can be caught (or could bonk on a tough stage)....JU, if in the lead or Vino, or any other rider will be a good talking point simply b/c they are not the dominant rider LA is and the win will be in doubt.

18. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

Stretching the point further - watching greatness/dominance can be dull. For how many years did Edwin Moses dominate the 400m hurdles? How predictable were his wins? How boring was that? There are many other examples. Sometimes we miss out on the vigorous competition but instead get to see something else, greatness in flight. We don't get to choose.

I would say that the recent TdFs haven't been great, but haven't been bad either. LA could have cracked at any time - he did bonk way back when. He also mucked up an ITT while JU was having a great day. He didn't crack much over 7 years, true. So there was drama; admittedly, it ended up coming out the same way every time.

Still, can't wait to get my DVD of this year's Giro.

19. sonicman

sonicman New Member

I don´t think watching LA going for a 7th Tour in his last event before retiring boring... There´ll be a lot of competition in the next big tours, including the next tour...

20. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

More exciting than last year.