Have you had one those days.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gaza

A leisurely cup of coffee whilst reading the paper, a beautiful spring morning and you look forward
to a relaxing and slow ride to work along the bike track. The whales are travelling south and are
regular sighting, a mother and calf the other day and then the next day a close in whale frolicking
near a group of sea-kayakers. The next day you linger a little longer over the paper and you
suddenly realise you had better get moving if you want to ride the bike to work. Around the first
corner and you bump into a friend out in the garden and you stop for a chat. Suddenly you realise
you are running late and have to forgo the leisurely bike track for the highway. ****....the first
open street I hit and it's a strong headwind. Gotta push it now. Funnily enough you arrive at work
felling pretty good about "pushing it" The next day the wind seems to have dropped off and you
promise yourself an easy and relaxing ride to work. You hit the highway and realise that a pleasant
tail wind is blowing.......what's this up ahead........slow moving traffic. I hit the only uphill
section and drop the gear back a notch and pump hard overtaking traffic. Crest the hill and in top
gear as soon as possible flying past the banked up traffic...don't you just love it. A bus at the
bottom of the hill leaves the smallest of space to pass but I'm not giving up this speed for
anybody...that was close, the handlebar must have been an inch off the side of the bus...what was
that blur the passengers saw fly past..... Hit the straight and it's too late to turn off to the
biketrack. Push as hard as I can and I'm still overtaking traffic. It must be at least 5 or 6K
before the original traffic I passed catches me.......red lights magically turn green just as I hit
them. Drop a few gears and fly around the corners into work and WOW a new personal best time...just
magic. Somedays are diamonds, somedays are stone.

When did you actually wake up? ;)

If it's a true story, it's stunning to have so many lucky strikes in a morning. If I were you, I would stop by at a newsagent first to buy a lottery ticket. I fear you lost that lucky strike by wasting it on bike commuting!

Originally posted by Gaza
A leisurely cup of coffee whilst reading the paper, a beautiful spring morning and you look forward
to a relaxing and slow ride to work along the bike track. The whales are travelling south and are
regular sighting, a mother and calf the other day and then the next day a close in whale frolicking
near a group of sea-kayakers. The next day you linger a little longer over the paper and you
suddenly realise you had better get moving if you want to ride the bike to work. Around the first
corner and you bump into a friend out in the garden and you stop for a chat. Suddenly you realise
you are running late and have to forgo the leisurely bike track for the highway. ****....the first
open street I hit and it's a strong headwind. Gotta push it now. Funnily enough you arrive at work
felling pretty good about "pushing it" The next day the wind seems to have dropped off and you
promise yourself an easy and relaxing ride to work. You hit the highway and realise that a pleasant
tail wind is blowing.......what's this up ahead........slow moving traffic. I hit the only uphill
section and drop the gear back a notch and pump hard overtaking traffic. Crest the hill and in top
gear as soon as possible flying past the banked up traffic...don't you just love it. A bus at the
bottom of the hill leaves the smallest of space to pass but I'm not giving up this speed for
anybody...that was close, the handlebar must have been an inch off the side of the bus...what was
that blur the passengers saw fly past..... Hit the straight and it's too late to turn off to the
biketrack. Push as hard as I can and I'm still overtaking traffic. It must be at least 5 or 6K
before the original traffic I passed catches me.......red lights magically turn green just as I hit
them. Drop a few gears and fly around the corners into work and WOW a new personal best time...just
magic. Somedays are diamonds, somedays are stone.

There is no lucky strike with lottery tickets.

or pokie machines :)

Keep cycling!

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Gaza wrote:
> > A leisurely cup of coffee whilst reading the paper, a beautiful spring morning and you look
> > forward to a relaxing and slow ride to work along the bike track. The whales are travelling
> > south and are regular sighting, a mother and calf the other day and then the next day a
close
> > in whale frolicking near a group of sea-kayakers. The next day you linger a little longer over
> > the paper and you suddenly realise you had better get moving if you want to ride the bike to
> > work. Around the first corner and you bump into a friend out in the garden and you stop for a
> > chat. Suddenly you realise you are running late and have to
forgo
> > the leisurely bike track for the highway. ****....the first open
street
> > I hit and it's a strong headwind. Gotta push it now. Funnily enough
you
> > arrive at work felling pretty good about "pushing it" The next day the wind seems to have
> > dropped off and you promise yourself an easy and relaxing ride to work. You hit the highway
> > and realise that a pleasant tail wind is blowing.......what's this up ahead........slow moving
> > traffic. I hit the only uphill section and drop the gear back a notch and pump hard overtaking
> > traffic. Crest the hill and in top gear as soon as possible flying past the banked up
> > traffic...don't you just love it. A bus at the bottom of the hill leaves the smallest of space
> > to pass but I'm not giving up this speed for anybody...that was close, the handlebar must have
> > been an inch off the side of the bus...what
was
> > that blur the passengers saw fly past..... Hit the straight and it's too late to turn off to
> > the biketrack. Push as hard as I can and I'm still overtaking traffic. It must be at least 5
> > or 6K before the original traffic I passed catches me.......red lights magically turn green
> > just as I hit them. Drop a few gears and fly around the corners into work and WOW a new
> > personal best time...just magic. Somedays are diamonds, somedays are stone.
>
> When did you actually wake up? ;)
>
> If it's a true story, it's stunning to have so many lucky strikes in a morning. If I were you, I
> would stop by at a newsagent first to buy a lottery ticket. I fear you lost that lucky strike by
> wasting it on bike commuting!
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

I'm having one of THOSE dazes. Attempting to ween myself off a coffee addiction. Everythings really sllloowwwww. I'll be amazed if I last the weekend without a java.

Somedays are
> > diamonds, somedays are stone.

It was after a dark and stormy night that gaza wrote...... Have you ever hit a boat on the way home
from work on your pushie? A beautiful day for a ride to work then on the way home the worst
electrical/lightning/thunder/rain storm to hit the coast for over a year. Punching into horizontal
rain and surrounded by forked lightening I was afraid traffic coming up behind me would have
difficultly seeing me so I took the safer option of the bikeway along the beach. Where it ended I
took a right turn to get back on the highway and I was confronted by a flooded street with kids
swimmining and paddling in the darkness...she''ll be right mate it's only about 2' deep. In the
middle the top stoke of the pedal was just coming out of the water and I was battling to keep
upright on a straight path, then the kayak drifted across my path. Kept up the momemtum, gave it a
bump out of the way and made it to the other side........boats, just another hazard added to the
list! Somedays are diamonds, somedays are stone....last night was stone.

October near Cradle Mountain, what a great place for a business meeting. Arrive mid afternoon and the snow starts to fall in brief flurries. Overnight a good dump so there is a few centimetres on the ground in the morning. Day brightens and the sun is out.

The 10am to noon session of the meeting is looking boring so I'll hop on the bike and do a few ks before lunch.

It feels great, the roads are smooth and undulating and the wind is behind me. Get up to 70 kph going down a few hills and a few good climbs as well. The sun comes out, life is great. Get to a cattle grid across the road abot 15 km from the Hotel. Good spot to turn around, I can't be bothered dismounting.

Sun is on my back, and dark clouds ahead. The wind has dropped. Good ride back down the hills I climbed and up the hills I went down before. About 3ks from the turn to the hotel a few small flurries, but I'm warm and the ride is great. I'll go past the turn off and do another 20 minutes on the highway.

10 minutes in, the snow is getting heavier, but I want to get to the top of this hill before I turn around, it's downhill all the way back to Cradle Mtn turn-off. Finally make it to the top and the snow is really heavy. Try to take off the sunny's but the snow gets in the eyes, easier to wipe the sunny's with the glove, but hard to see.

Turn around and head downhill. Snow is settling for a brief moment on the tarmac before melting. Gees was that the front tyre slipping a little? Better slow down or I'll end up in the boondocks.

Get to the Cradle Mountain turn off, about 2 k to the hotel and it's a complete whiteout. Push into the snow and slight breeze. Imagine I'm in the T de F pushing up the mountians in the Pyrennes. Fingers are getting pretty cold. Finally make it back to the hotel with about an inch of snow on the chest and arms, thank god I wore the polar fleece.

Go inside and warm up by the fire, especially fingers and toes.

Isn't life great? Can't wait to get on the bike and do it again, hopefully in better weather. And all those other poor buggers sat through two hours of boring presentations. I know where I'd rather be.

Status
Not open for further replies.