Haven't rode in over 10 years- Looking to get back into it!

dgrtech

Feb 2, 2008
Hello all, new to the forum and I've been reading around for a couple days now. Up till I was about 12, I use to ride all the time with my father doing 40-60 mile rides... not much, but at only about 12- that was a huge accomplishment.

However, video games, girls, and social life took over and I gave it up for a while. Years went by, I joined the army, and now I'm in the best shape I've been in my life. Unfortunately, running puts such a burden on my legs due to bad foot structure. I've decided to get back into cycling- after looking at photos, and remembering all the fun I had, I realized how great of a hobby and workout it was.

I'm looking to possibly buy a bike tomorrow or very soon. I'm in Central Florida btw.

Anyway- I'm looking at the Trek 1000 and 1200. Why? Price. I don't exactly have the money to be shelling out on a more expensive one right now... however, my main concern is whether either can be fixed up and upgraded down the line. All I've ever ridden on was $200 bikes back in the day as my father didn't really want to spend money on a bike I'd outgrow, so any REAL road bike will be great to me.

My main concerns:
-quality of stock components
-expandability/ugpradeability
-how long it will last, before I'd outgrow it beyond just fixing it up and upgrading

I plan on 30-40 miles average before work everday if that helps, too.

Thanks! :)

Have a look at Giants as well, generally you get a bit more for your money in terms of componets and things with them as you do pay a bit of a premium for Treks. The adavntage of the Trek is that you get a lifetime warranty on the frame.

I have just bought a Giant SCR 3 (called OCR in the US but basically the same) and am happy with it so far but have only done 100 miles on it so it is a bit early to tell yet. The thing about the Giant is that there is good scope for upgrading as the frame is very good for the money.

Try and find a good local bike shop and get out and test ride them though, that is proably the best way to decide. When I rode the Trek it was a good bike but it just didn't suit me and the Giant just felt more natrual. You can only find this out by getting on them and having a go though.

AngryPenguin said:
Have a look at Giants as well, generally you get a bit more for your money in terms of componets and things with them as you do pay a bit of a premium for Treks. The adavntage of the Trek is that you get a lifetime warranty on the frame.

I have just bought a Giant SCR 3 (called OCR in the US but basically the same) and am happy with it so far but have only done 100 miles on it so it is a bit early to tell yet. The thing about the Giant is that there is good scope for upgrading as the frame is very good for the money.

Try and find a good local bike shop and get out and test ride them though, that is proably the best way to decide. When I rode the Trek it was a good bike but it just didn't suit me and the Giant just felt more natrual. You can only find this out by getting on them and having a go though.
Yea, I just checked out the Trek 1.2. Theres no more 1000 or 1200s in my area, so I'm out of luck. The 1.2 seemed very comfortable to me, and very light for what I grew up on. $769 is a little much though.

I heard of that Giant, and I found a shop in my area that sells them that I want to check out. However, the lifetime warranty of the Treks is the big reason I want one.

edit: The big thing I liked about the 1.2 was also the carbon stem and fork. I don't like the wheels and rear derailler on it, though.