having a bad day....

Cycling Lymie

Apr 15, 2013
I wasted my 2006 CAAD8 R1000 today.
It was a bone headed move. The short description is I hooked a Left turn (from the outside) of a Banked road for a right hand turn. I did so at 25 ish mph. Garmin says 25.8 last speed recorded. I crossed a bump, and then as I tried to turn the road kept falling away from me. I am ok, broke my Giro Aeon in 7 places, fractured a finger, and trashed the CAAD8 frame. But no TBI, no broken neck. all is good to live to ride another day? Yeah I thought so, however very expensive lesson.

See if this works for you guys, they are posted publicly on FB

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200220938741117.1073741826.1081800795&type=3

If not then here are a couple pics

Frame got tweaked when I slide off the road and hit the grass.
180 lbs 56 cm frame Maybe I don't want a CAAD 10. Time to find a old Used CAAD frame. Or just keep it on the pavement. :D

Tough day, man. Glad you weren't hurt worse than you were. Hope you find something suitable to replace it without leaving too big of a hole in your wallet.

Ouch... Bad luck... I think this means a beer session is a good idea! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif (I think that about alot of things lately though... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif)

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Tough day, man. Glad you weren't hurt worse than you were. Hope you find something suitable to replace it without leaving too big of a hole in your wallet.
Yeah I am really glad my neck isn't broke...

Not real sure the condition of the rear hub/wheel..... Maybe I can find a CAAD 9 or 10 frame. All I know is I paid $2,000 for that bike new in 2006

I hope you heal up fast.

What did the left seat stay come into contact with or did it just fold up like wet spaghetti when the tire snagged the turf? Right stay also folded and it looks like the seat stay cluster weld tore. The telephone pole looks uninjured and that woven wire cattle fence would have stopped Johnny Hoogerland.

Props for the excellent pictures! The steer on the barn roof is awesome and likewise the skid mark on the road.

Good luck on getting your bike rebuilt/replaced.

Edit:
No wonder the area looked familiar. Ohio is a beautiful place to cycle thru.

CampyBob, Yup South Rudy and Tipp-Elizabeth.

I came off of South Rudy hooking a left onto Tipp-Elizabeth. I've never came from that direction before (first time due to a bridge being out).
Several Mistakes. Tipp-Elizabeth is banked heavily for a right turn. I was turning left. It Isn't exactly a T intersection. I was going way too fast on tires that should have been replaced long ago.

I "knew" I was in trouble as soon as I hit the fresh black top and the pavement was falling out from under me. The "Oh snap" I am not getting turned fast enough.... one tap on the brake tarted the skid. Yes that skid is mine. Apparently it was just enough for me to miss the fence and the pole. Seat stays folded when I snagged the turf coming off the pavement. I landed just past the Pole. and the bike Landed further up Tipp-Elizabeth away from S Rudy.

Last recorded speed was 25.8 on Garmin

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304200045

Yeah, banked for a DOWNHILL right turn! Way off camber coming in from the side with more than 90° to get around.

I'm guessing you high-sided when the rotating bike snagged the rear tire in the turf. Weeee! Helmet pics are in order...especially if you still have dirt/grass packed in the vents.

I'm in NE Ohio and the roads here have lots of traps that reach out and snag cyclists. At least you're in good enough health to go bike shopping today!

The helmet had 1 piece of Grass stuck in it. I head shoulder planted it and flipped over onto my back and didn't move until someone stopped 4 min later asking if I was alright and I said I was too scared to move.
The other lesson. Put your phone in your jersey pocket...... the bike is too far away.

If I can find a marker to show up I'll circle the cracks and take pics inside the Giro Aeon. I am impressed! The shell don't have any cracks. The inside did a very good job of spreading the impact. As can be seen on how my head bruised.

bicycle shopping? Nay..... I've $16 to my name trying to recover from late stage lyme disease. No employment for a here today not here tomorrow health type guy.

Consolation Prize....I am good enough health to take a walk. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

here is the helmet 'Giro Aeon' Apparently it did it's job. It took the force and spread it out while staying intact.

Originally Posted by Cycling Lymie .

here is the helmet 'Giro Aeon' Apparently it did it's job. It took the force and spread it out while staying intact.

Great. Now give it a decent burial, with appropriate kisses good0bye, and replace it. Even if there's no visible damage, you should replace a helmet after a crash, where it took an impact.

Just to clarify in case there are some reading this new to cycling who don't understand: the reason you replace a helmet after a crash (really, any impact--don't drop them!) is that they are designed to absorb the energy of an impact by breaking. Once cracked anywhere, they will no longer distribute an impact force properly, perhaps even concentrating the force in the area of the previous impact, which can result in a major head injury then.

Pardon the pun, but it's like trying to ring a cracked Bell...

yeah I'd rather see a helmet break like mine did, rather than just have 2-3 breaks. You have to replace it with 1 break or no breaks after a crash so it might as well break every joint in the thing. I came pretty dang near breaking every joint on the let side of that helmet. I can replace it for $165 if I hurry.

The bicycle that's going to leave a HUGE HOLE....

Looking for an older CAAD 8/9 56cm frame. Prices are stoopid though. I might be better off trying to find a complete caad 9.

How ever it's all pointless as I've only $16. No job and suffer late stage lyme disease. I just recently started riding again after being bed ridden from 2009 - Jan 2013. The helmet was a gift from someone who had a TBI in a car wreck and said I needed to ride with one.

"No employment for a here today not here tomorrow health type guy." Damn! You were healthy enough to be honking along at 25+ MPH under your own steam! You win the "I'm too fast to die!" award for today! I hope you're kicking the Lyme disease.

It's been a very long road. I've had a couple weeks this year where my body crashed for a week a a time. Better than 2012's 6 month long crash though. :)
Bit in 2006 didn't catch it till 2009. All my rides should be public on garmin connect I was doing 11-13 mile rides in an hour this January, not near where I was in 2006.
I refuse to give up. Looks like I'll be running now instead of cycling....... :D heh

Originally Posted by Cycling Lymie .

It's been a very long road. I've had a couple weeks this year where my body crashed for a week a a time. Better than 2012's 6 month long crash though. :)
Bit in 2006 didn't catch it till 2009. All my rides should be public on garmin connect I was doing 11-13 mile rides in an hour this January, not near where I was in 2006.
I refuse to give up. Looks like I'll be running now instead of cycling....... :D heh
It is one drawback of our sport that when we crash, apart from the physical affects, the financial affect can be prohibitive.

And in many respects running/trekking/walking are a lot less expensive in terms of accessories.

There's a lot to be said for training on a trainer - the chances of crashing being practically zero.

Wish you the best of luck with the recovery. Hopefully things will look up sooner rather than later

Well..I guess I am going to say this straightforward because it immediately popped into my head. Sucks to suck./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

"I refuse to give up."

Attitude above all!

"Looks like I'll be running now instead of cycling....... :D heh"

Strip those parts off the frame and start looking for a Craig's List deal. Spring garage sales and community trash days/curb pile ups are here. Keep your eyes open. A couple years ago a friend fished a Campy equipped Olmo out of a trash pile. All it needed was a pair of wheels.

Best of luck to you.

Check the used bike ads for an old steel beater that you can use to stay in the game, until you can afford to replace the CAAD. Couple of days is all that it'll take to get used to downtube shifters. I have an old Schwinn LeTour as a back up, and in winter, it's my main ride.

And I don't know if you have landfills where you are, but our town dump has an area where people leave bikes they don't want anymore, free for the taking. From time to time I've seen old Peugots and Fujis there.

I wasted the rear mavic ksyrium elite too and the front derailleur is done... I was hoping I could just do a frame. Not happening, I could get a used 105 something out there cheaper than piecing this back together. Actually I could get a used Rival caad10 cheaper than putting this Ultegra mavic older caad8 back together.

It would seem to be that I was fortunate to not break my neck. ;)