Having a hard time

M'Isa

Guest
I'm having a hard time staying OP. I'm trying to get into the community college by my apartment and
although I'm approved for the program I want to get into, I don't have enough money.

However, my mother says to ask my grandmother. Mom's sure that grandma will give me money for
college (the first quarter is always the most expensive... after that, DH and I should be able to
pay for the rest with the help of financial aid). Grandma doesn't get back from vacation for a week.

So, I'm stressing and trying to save money. It seems to me that all of the healthy food I should be
eating is so expensive! I've been off-program now for almost a week. I'm afraid to go WI on
Wednesday, but I know it'll be food for me to see the damage that my eating has done.

DH is very supportive of my weight-loss efforts because he wants me to be healthier and feel better
about myself (well, that and he's just so supportive in general). He wants me to stay in WW because
of this. I thought I should quit to save money, but he reminded me that I needed things that are
enjoyable or will make me feel better. Plus, once the quarter starts, I'll be able to start paying
the student rate instead of the regular rate.

Mostly, I just needed to vent. However, I'm also wondering if you guys have ideas on low-cost, low-
points dinners and snacks or any advice.

Thanks for "listening."
--
~M'isa
244 / 238.4 /125

"M'isa" <[email protected]> wrote in

***snip***

> Mostly, I just needed to vent. However, I'm also wondering if you guys have ideas on low-cost, low-
> points dinners and snacks or any advice.
>
> Thanks for "listening."
> --
> ~M'isa
> 244 / 238.4 /125

Cost can be a factor but it doesn't have to be. I know that a lot of 'diet' (low-cal low fat) foods
are more expensive but the beauty of WW is you don't have to buy them! I would substitute more
'fillers' for the foods that you currently eat and eat smaller portions of your 'regular' foods. For
instance, inexpensive ground beef is high in fat so a 4oz burger could be as high as 6 points! What
I would do is have a 3oz burger piled high with lettuce, tomato, pickles (watch the points on some
of these) and onions on low fat bread. The veggies fill you up and you really don't miss the extra
meat. Try oven baked sweet potato fries instead of regular FF or even a baked sweet potato INSTEAD
fof the burger! 3 points for a med. sized one and they really don't need more than a pat of butter.

Chicken! Yeah you may think you will get sick of it but there are a million ways to cook it. Thigh
meat is higher in points but skinned it isn't much worse than breast meat and a lot cheaper. Again,
use it in salads or with veggie side dishes. TIP: Cook chicken with the skin on and remove it later.
Tastes better/moister and the points are the same as skinless as long as you don't eat the skin!

Frozen veggies are every bit as good as fresh (better if the veggie is out of season) and they are
relatively cheap as well.

Add a salad to everything! It fills you up for low points and if you use in-season produce, the
prices aren't too bad.

Activity. If you have to use foods that may effect your plan, get in some extra activity and you
will have the extra points you need!

--
Started Weight Watchers together February 2002: Chris
332.4/184.6/185 Lifetime since 12/13/03 Pat

M'isa:

I don't know what you are buying now, but I find the bags of apples and oranges to be low cost and
high nutrition. Other things that are low cost/high nutrition are carrots, spinach and broccoli. For
meats I don't know what to suggest. I get baking hams for $10 and that feeds the whole family and
the same amount of chicken costs me $12. Extra lean ground beef is good for a change of pace.

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/205/155 RAFL 210.5/205/198.5

M'isa wrote:
> I'm having a hard time staying OP. I'm trying to get into the community college by my apartment
> and although I'm approved for the program I want to get into, I don't have enough money.
>
> However, my mother says to ask my grandmother. Mom's sure that grandma will give me money for
> college (the first quarter is always the most expensive... after that, DH and I should be able
> to pay for the rest with the help of financial aid). Grandma doesn't get back from vacation
> for a week.
>
> So, I'm stressing and trying to save money. It seems to me that all of the healthy food I should
> be eating is so expensive! I've been off-program now for almost a week. I'm afraid to go WI on
> Wednesday, but I know it'll be food for me to see the damage that my eating has done.
>
> DH is very supportive of my weight-loss efforts because he wants me to be healthier and feel
> better about myself (well, that and he's just so supportive in general). He wants me to stay in WW
> because of this. I thought I should quit to save money, but he reminded me that I needed things
> that are enjoyable or will make me feel better. Plus, once the quarter starts, I'll be able to
> start paying the student rate instead of the regular rate.
>
> Mostly, I just needed to vent. However, I'm also wondering if you guys have ideas on low-cost, low-
> points dinners and snacks or any advice.
>
> Thanks for "listening."
> --
> ~M'isa
> 244 / 238.4 /125

My favorite in the evening snack is hot cocoa made from the box of Hershey's
coca powder use the recipe on the box, skim milk and splenda. I know the
splenda is pricey but it is a snack that really tastes good and about the
same points as just the milk. I actually think our food bill has gone down
as a result of WW. I wish you all the luck in the world. Lee