Having cx bike (3in1) - planning buying mtb, but for what?

Łukasz Tkacz

Jan 16, 2019
Tl;dr: I have 3in1 bike and consider buying MTB, but not sure, it’s a good option.

Long version: I have cyclocross bike for two years. During this time, I replaced most of parts and now it’s my “dream bike” with also two, identical wheelsets. I use this bike for everything - like road bike, like gravel bike, also as real CX bike. All depends of using tires, and swapping it’s very quickly and simple because these two, complete wheelsets (with disc rotors, cassettes).

I consider buying MTB hardtail as second bike. Maybe “returning to MTB” will be good, because before that CX bike, I had MTB. About three years ago I joined MTB race first time and it was great. Then another, then another… and then I had an accident. Nothing special, without fractures and I finished that race. It was my fault - using carbon fork instead of front damper and lack of technique. After that, riding on MTB and MTB trails and singletracks was not pleasant - I’m just afraid, I was slow etc.

Now I sometimes ride on more demanding terrain using CX bike, but of course I’m careful and don’t risk - it’s only amateur races, only for fun, so… I shouldn’t risk anymore. Why I consider MTB? I don’t like MTB trails, I don’t like MTB maintenance (simplicity of CX/gravel/road bikes is amazing!), and I don’t have plans to start in MTB races but… for about year, “something on the back of the head” says me: “maybe you should try again?”. And really don’t know what to do… I can buy MTB for second hand with good price but… is it good option when I have bike “pretty nice for everything”?

Do you live somewhere that has snow in the winter? Do you have beaches near you that you might want to ride? If so, perhaps a fat bike would be a better option than an MTB. Like you, I enjoy riding moderate MTB trails on a CX/gravel bike. I also have a light hardtail MTB and a fat bike. The fat bike is great on snow and sand and it expands the places and times I can ride. With studded tires, it's awesome on ice, too.

If the fat bike doesn't sound like it meets your needs, get an MTB. I don't use mine as much as my CX/Gravel bike, but I like having the option. It's much better for rougher MTB trails.

Do you live somewhere that has snow in the winter? Do you have beaches near you that you might want to ride? If so, perhaps a fat bike would be a better option than an MTB. Like you, I enjoy riding moderate MTB trails on a CX/gravel bike. I also have a light hardtail MTB and a fat bike. The fat bike is great on snow and sand and it expands the places and times I can ride. With studded tires, it's awesome on ice, too.

If the fat bike doesn't sound like it meets your needs, get an MTB. I don't use mine as much as my CX/Gravel bike, but I like having the option. It's much better for rougher MTB trails.

I just wanted to let you know I decided to join this forum primarily based off this thread. I recently bought my first bike since I was a teenager riding BMX bikes 30-50 miles a day everywhere I needed to go. I’m getting ready to move to Denver and will be using a bike as my primary source of transportation, only driving when weather is bad. I didn’t want to limit myself to either road or gravels, so I knew a CX bike was the way to go for me. Anytime I posted on Reddit or other forums, I couldn’t even mention a CX bike without people jumping in telling me CX bikes are too heavy for road use and not good enough for trail use(obviously there are limitations vs a MTB) so just the fact that there are other CX riders is encouraging.

Btw I ended up ordering a 2019 Cannondale Quick CX 3 just waiting on it to arrive at my LBS!

CX and gravel bikes are the closest thing to a one-bike "quiver". Swap the wheels and gearing, and you can change the character of the bike completely. No, it will never be an MTB or a race-worthy road bike, but for all-around enjoyment in a variety of terrain, they're hard to beat.

CX and gravel bikes are the closest thing to a one-bike "quiver". Swap the wheels and gearing, and you can change the character of the bike completely. No, it will never be an MTB or a race-worthy road bike, but for all-around enjoyment in a variety of terrain, they're hard to beat.

That was my idea, eventually I would like to get a dedicated MTB and road bike, but for a first bike I don’t want to limit myself, and I also want a chance to find out what I do and don’t like in a bike before spending the kind of money for a higher-end use-specific bike.