having trouble finding good cycling jerseys, help please.

tottenham21

Nov 12, 2011
Ok here it goes, I know for a fact I'm not the only in here or out there that its not in perfect skinny cyclist shape, I'm 40 years old 238 pounds 6'0" tall and I know I need to lose weight but that's exactly the reason I have started to do cycling after all this years of neglecting exercising but its never too late, anyways the problem I'm having is in finding short sleeve jerseys that will fit, I have seen some xxl that actually fit like a medium, tried a xxxl that fit like a xl, I mean It's really upsetting, wtf not every single person that starts cycling can or looks like lance Armstrong from the get go, so there has got to be a shop or a company that actually sells jerseys that will fit properly if it says xxl it should fit like a xxl and not like a xs, so can any of you out there please give me a good website from witch I can order from, or am I just doom to lose the weight first so that I can be extra skinny and be able to wear a bloody jersey or what...

Since there is no standard for how a XXXL or L or XS jersey should fit, there will be variation in how a given size jersey fits between manufacturers. Welcome to the world of trying things on. Euro jerseys will tend to fit more trim physiques than American sized jerseys. Since the US is a fat country, our clothes tend to fit larger than those from the Continent. Try the cheap **** from eBay.

Pearl Izumi has a factory store in Fort Worth. You'll not fit the "Pro" line of their clothing but the less expensive jerseys have a loose fit. Their XXL loosefit will apparently take upto a 45" waist. PI also sell cycling gear in regular retail stores too but the factory outlets have some really good deals, which might make the trip across the dfw metro area worth your time.

Thanks a lot for that info swampy I did not know they had a big shop in ft worth..I will definitely check it out..

cycling clothing & shoes need to be tried, not only for a certain range of weight, that's why good internet dealers offer a refund and / or replacement for those items

Originally Posted by vspa .

cycling clothing & shoes need to be tried, not only for a certain range of weight, that's why good internet dealers offer a refund and / or replacement for those items
+Ï€. When buying shoes and cycling clothes, you have to choose your shopping locales carefully iffin' you don't already know what works for you. Some internet dealer make returns a real pain in the ****, as well as make it costly. Once you know what shoes, jerseys, or merkins fit you, internet shopping is your oyster.

Nashbar ( http://www.nashbar.com/ ) Has nice gear as decent prices... AND.. every shipment has a paid return slip in the package. So a return or exchange should NOT be a problem. At your size/weight the XXL should be plenty big enough.

If you're not opposed to gaudy to tacky, you might consider some of the "brand" themed, national themed, and etc. shirts at Performance Bike and Nashbar. These would be shirts about states, countries, beers, and the like. I believe they all tend to have "relaxed" sizing.

Originally Posted by alienator .
If you're not opposed to gaudy to tacky, you might consider some of the "brand" themed, national themed, and etc. shirts at Performance Bike and Nashbar.
Since you mentioned it.... Performance (http://www.performancebike.com/) also has a line of clothing they call "century" that is just plain solid colored Jerseys. Performance is a national chain (not really what most would call a LBS). If you have one near you they might be worth a visit (IMHO). Last year about this time [of year] I found plain short sleeve jerseys in red, yellow, and white (they didn't have blue in my size) for 19 bucks each. I grabbed a few at that price and haven't regretted it at all.

Many cyclist aren't fond of the on-line and/or national chains. I really understand the desire (and need) to retain local shops. But the handful of true LBS in my area carry very little clothing. So for me.. in my area.. on-line shopping and Performance fills a need.

I wish the true LBS (in MY area) would take advantage of being able to have an Internet store and offer factory direct items via an on-line store. So I could see and touch at least some of the merchandise in the LBS and then order at the store (or back home). Of course.... I wish they sold coffee too.

LBS generally don't stock a lot of clothing, and the stock even fewer brands of clothing. Clothing sales don't bring enough money for them to carry a lot of it.

For the OP, two other places to consider are REI and Sierra Trading Post. Both carry lines that have a more relaxed fit, and Sierra Trading Post also sells, in addition to regular stuff, discounted stuff with slight blems and the like.

alienator said:
LBS generally don't stock a lot of clothing, and the stock even fewer brands of clothing.  Clothing sales don't bring enough money for them to carry a lot of it. For the OP, two other places to consider are REI and Sierra Trading Post.  Both carry lines that have a more relaxed fit, and Sierra Trading Post also sells, in addition to regular stuff, discounted stuff with slight blems and the like.  
Ta for that info mate, I don't know if there is a sierra store near me in Dallas but there is a performance store only 8 miles from my house, I will check them out, also kind of curious about the p assumi store in ft.worth.

Originally Posted by alienator .
LBS generally don't stock a lot of clothing, and the stock even fewer brands of clothing. Clothing sales don't bring enough money for them to carry a lot of it.
That's true. But factory direct on-line stores means no one is stuck with much stock (particularly the brick and mortar store). It is a very efficient way do small scale sales. The on-line store owner/operator merely hosts the sales of the factory made product. On-line store owners receive a small percentage of the sales for making the connection between buyer and factory. It is good for the LBS customer... and customers... are good for business.

I think that some of the LBS in some areas have failed (or refused) to update their business models. I see a parallel between the LBS today, and the grocery store of 30-40 years ago. Most Mom and Pop grocery's are long gone now.... replaced by large chains. But a handful of small grocery's saw the need to change the way they had been marketing themselves to the public and most of them are still doing very good.

Just my thoughts.