Having trouble mustering courage to ride my bike in the local canyon roads

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I live in socal and there's a lot of nice roads twisty roads here. From time to time I see a cyclist looking like he's having a lot of fun descending down the one lane road at high speed. But I have this fear of cycling in these areas since I'm a bit scared of cars when I'm on my bike. ( I usually ride at night since no one driver here at night). Do you guys have any suggestions? Is mountain/canyon riding safe?

LS17 said:
I live in socal and there's a lot of nice roads twisty roads here. From time to time I see a cyclist looking like he's having a lot of fun descending down the one lane road at high speed. But I have this fear of cycling in these areas since I'm a bit scared of cars when I'm on my bike. ( I usually ride at night since no one driver here at night). Do you guys have any suggestions? Is mountain/canyon riding safe?
Come and live in Japan for a while. That should cure your carphobia. You'll learn to ride around them, over them, under them, between them, next to them, pass them, tailgate them and even occcasionally ride over the top of them.
I don't recommend trying to ride inside them though!:D

Just get right out into the lane so that cars behind you aren't tempted to try and pass you. Most drivers are pretty patient if you're going fast enough, but if you give them room to pass they're going to.

LS17 said:
Is mountain/canyon riding safe?
I'd have to be really familiar with the road before I tried any high-speed descents at night, on twisty roads, with cars nearby, but hey I live in Kansas. :)
A broken bottle, oppossum, fallen branch, etc. can still ruin your ride even if there aren't any cars.

Make sure you bring pepper-spray to fend off the cougars. ;)