rec.bicycles.rides archive · Public discussion

Havre de grace Maryland

Started by Norm · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,578 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides archive
Published
13 August 2003
Last activity
17 August 2003
Original author
Norm
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,578
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just took a tour of the Deleware and Susquehana river valleys. Beautiful tour. I get to the end of
    the tour, Havre de grace Maryland, and I can't get across the bridge. No bikes on the rt 40 bridge.
    I rode 100 miles and they tell me I have to go back 10 miles to the rt 1 bridge, which is narrower
    then rt 40. anyway I got a ride on the back of a pick up and did get to eat some crabs. Anyone know
    why they don't allow bikes? I mapped out the tour myself. Overall it went pretty well and I'll
    probably do it again in the distant future. 700 and some miles over 11 days from my back door, 20
    min. north of philly, to my back door. I also had a hard time getting into Harrisburg by a river
    route. I had to run a couple miles on the shoulder of a major highway. NO fun! PA has got some
    wonderful tour potential.

    [email hidden]

  2. Norm nomd @ netcarrier.com said:

    I just took a tour of the Deleware and Susquehana river valleys. Beautiful tour. I get to the end
    of the tour, Havre de grace Maryland, and I can't get across the bridge. No bikes on the rt 40
    bridge. I rode 100 miles and they tell me I have to go back 10 miles to the rt 1 bridge, which is
    narrower then rt 40. anyway I got a ride on the back of a pick up and did get to eat some crabs.
    Anyone know why they don't allow bikes?

    Let's see, I did that when going from DC to Phillie over 10 years ago. Bikes are not allowed on
    most toll bridges, and when I asked about the bridge on Route 40, I was told it was because the
    bridge is too narrow. You are supposed to call the cops, and they are supposed to come and give
    you a ride over the bridge for the cost of the toll. Thing is, a friend who tried that had to wait
    for an eternity and then some before a cop showed up. So I stopped at some fast-food store near
    the end of the bridge and got a ride in a pick-up, as you did. It's quick, and it works. And if
    you call to complain, you get people who have no idea why in the world roads should be made
    bike-friendly at all.

    Didier

    --
    Didier A Depireux [email hidden] [email hidden] 685 W.Baltimore Str
    neurobiology.umaryland.edudepireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)
    University of Maryland -1273 (lab) Baltimore MD 21201 USA Fax: 1-410-706-2512

  3. "Didier A. Depireux" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Let's see, I did that when going from DC to Phillie over 10 years ago.


    Bikes

    Quoted message said:

    are not allowed on most toll bridges, and when I asked about the bridge


    on

    Quoted message said:

    Route 40, I was told it was because the bridge is too narrow. You are supposed to call the cops,
    and they are supposed to come and give you a


    ride

    Quoted message said:

    over the bridge for the cost of the toll. Thing is, a friend who tried


    that

    Quoted message said:

    had to wait for an eternity and then some before a cop showed up. So I stopped at some fast-food
    store near the end of the bridge and got a ride


    in

    Quoted message said:

    a pick-up, as you did. It's quick, and it works. And if you call to complain, you get people who
    have no idea why in the world roads should be made bike-friendly at all.

    If it takes that long for the cops to come then it seems like you should have plenty of time to make
    it across the bridge 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.