Hawthorn 'Bumpadrome' getting a makeover

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
just reported by a HCCer...

"On a whim I decided to do a few laps of our beloved 'velodrome' at
Hawthorn last night, only to discover it was closed. Low and behold,
it's being resurfaced. And I don't mean a mere cosmetic drizzling over
the cracks of that liquid black ice - it's been 'profiled' in
preparation for resealing. That's being done today (Tuesday) I believe
and the sign indicates it'll be open tomorrow.

Very Excited."

flyingdutch wrote:
> just reported by a HCCer...
>
> "On a whim I decided to do a few laps of our beloved 'velodrome' at
> Hawthorn last night, only to discover it was closed. Low and behold,
> it's being resurfaced. And I don't mean a mere cosmetic drizzling over
>
> the cracks of that liquid black ice - it's been 'profiled' in
> preparation for resealing. That's being done today (Tuesday) I believe
>
> and the sign indicates it'll be open tomorrow.

heh!

I hope it's open tonight, I have 2 x 15 min E3's to do on it!
Otherwise I'll have to ride out to Burwood!

Bleve said:
flyingdutch wrote:
> just reported by a HCCer...
>
> "On a whim I decided to do a few laps of our beloved 'velodrome' at
> Hawthorn last night, only to discover it was closed. Low and behold,
> it's being resurfaced. And I don't mean a mere cosmetic drizzling over
>
> the cracks of that liquid black ice - it's been 'profiled' in
> preparation for resealing. That's being done today (Tuesday) I believe
>
> and the sign indicates it'll be open tomorrow.

heh!

I hope it's open tonight, I have 2 x 15 min E3's to do on it!
Otherwise I'll have to ride out to Burwood!
excellent!!

Thats my local when im in Melbourne!

I will miss that bump on the south western side though near the entrance....

But But ....
I posted that... I,m sure.

Sniff

Ignored Dave

Bleve wrote:
> flyingdutch wrote:
> > just reported by a HCCer...
> >
> > "On a whim I decided to do a few laps of our beloved 'velodrome' at
> > Hawthorn last night, only to discover it was closed. Low and behold,
> > it's being resurfaced. And I don't mean a mere cosmetic drizzling over
> >
> > the cracks of that liquid black ice - it's been 'profiled' in
> > preparation for resealing. That's being done today (Tuesday) I believe
> >
> > and the sign indicates it'll be open tomorrow.

> heh!
>
> I hope it's open tonight, I have 2 x 15 min E3's to do on it!
> Otherwise I'll have to ride out to Burwood!

Well, it was "open", in as much as there was no-one stopping anyone
using it (except the two clowns on roadies chatting merrily while
blocking the bike-path side entrance).

This is not a whinge, I think it's a great thing, this is a report on
it at the moment :

Riding on fresh hotmix is awful! It's like wet, gritty sand, except it
leaves black **** all over your legs, downtube, in your socks & shoes
.... heh! And it's -slow-. I normally do E3's at around 38-39km/h but
I was doing 35. Influenced a bit by the rigours of the w'end's
climbing up Hotham twice and not being recovered from hill sprints, but
even so, it felt like riding with brakes on.

I'm sure it'll be really good in a few days, but at the moment it
sucks! The roadmaking gear is still parked in the carpark next to the
hockey field, so maybe there'll be more done tomorrow? It is very
smooth, but there's still a rise in it at the southern end, so I'd say
that the track has just been resurfaced over the top of the old
surface, and no leveling or anything. I don't mind, it's not a track
racing velodrone, and I didn't mind the bump either (hey, I'm a roady,
who whines about a couple of little bumps? I don't ride with SKCC :) ),
but it is nice to not have it there anymore - hopefully the gumbies
will swerve less around it and make the track a bit safer accordingly.

Also, anyone riding the **** at Kew tomorrow, I've told Ray about the
**** all over the track via Cam Woolcock, hopefully they'll have a
shovel and some brooms. At the moment the hairpin is unrideable at
speed and the drop down the hill is covered in wet dirt and bits of
forest litter. "challenging" :) I was training there this arvo and
decided against doing downhill sprint work due to the **** on the road.
Too dangerous!

Bleve wrote:

> Bleve wrote:

stuff about hawthorn
I hope u aint cut fresh groves in it.

:(

Dave

Kathy wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > Bleve wrote:

> stuff about hawthorn
> I hope u aint cut fresh groves in it.

I may be a fat, lazy sprinter, but I'm not *that* heavy!

Bleve wrote:

> Kathy wrote:
>
>>Bleve wrote:
>>

>>>Bleve wrote:

>>stuff about hawthorn
>>I hope u aint cut fresh groves in it.

> I may be a fat, lazy sprinter, but I'm not *that* heavy!

We shall see :)
Dave

Bleve said:
[...]

Yers. rode home that way meself. did a few laps and is indeed smooth.
Wasnt pusjing it so didnt notice diff in speed (and I was on the orange pig).

Does indeed look like approx 4-5inches of overlay altho it has removed the severity of the bump in S-E corner.
Be interesting to see if they also apply the paintwork I have been campaigning for thru BBUG...