hayes 9 front disk break adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mjm

I just purchased a new Trek Liquid 20 from my LBS. After 2 rides I noticed that the front wheel is
not spinning freely and is rubbing on one side of the disk break. From what I can gather, the Hayes
disk callipers are not cantered properly with the hub so the outside of the breaks rub on the hub
and there is a 1-2mm gap on the inside.

This is my first experience with disk breaks and am left in the dark. I'd like to know more before I
go ***** about it to the LBS. Is this a simple thing to fix, or is this a shoddy design that would
require parts replacement?

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Got a Hayes Disc Brake Installation, Maintenance and Service Manual? If not write Hayes at Hayes
Brake, Inc.. 5800 W. Donges Bay Road, Mequon, WI 53092

"mjm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just purchased a new Trek Liquid 20 from my LBS. After 2 rides I
noticed
> that the front wheel is not spinning freely and is rubbing on one side of the disk break. From
> what I can gather, the Hayes disk callipers are not cantered properly with the hub so the outside
> of the breaks rub on the hub and there is a 1-2mm gap on the inside.
>
> This is my first experience with disk breaks and am left in the dark. I'd like to know more before
> I go ***** about it to the LBS. Is this a simple thing to fix, or is this a shoddy design that
> would require parts replacement?
>
> Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

mjm wrote:
> This is my first experience with disk breaks and am left in the dark. I'd like to know more before
> I go ***** about it to the LBS. Is this a simple thing to fix, or is this a shoddy design that
> would require parts replacement?
>
> Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

My XTR disc brakes did the same. Brought it back to my LBS and they centered it out for me in ten
minutes. At no cost of course. They should have done it right the first time around.

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> writes:

> Got a Hayes Disc Brake Installation, Maintenance and Service Manual? If not write Hayes at Hayes
> Brake, Inc.. 5800 W. Donges Bay Road, Mequon, WI 53092

It's available from Hayes website as a PDF file <URL:
http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/45-14550BEnglishForWeb.pdf >

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ye hypocrites! are these your
pranks? To murder men and give God thanks? Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept
your thanks for murther -- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 08:17:12 -0400, mjm did issue forth:

> I just purchased a new Trek Liquid 20 from my LBS. After 2 rides I noticed that the front wheel is
> not spinning freely and is rubbing on one side of the disk break. From what I can gather, the
> Hayes disk callipers are not cantered properly with the hub so the outside of the breaks rub on
> the hub and there is a 1-2mm gap on the inside.

I've never encountered that model before, but I'd assume that, like most disc brakes, the pads
are self adjusting. What seems likely to me is that the caliper itself isn't centred properly
over the disc.

Fortunately, owning a Hayes you're in luck when it comes to altering this, seeing as Hayes normally
use their own style of mount. You can tell if you've got this type of mount by looking at the
caliper mounting bolts. If they are perpendicular to the hub axle (i.e. going into the fork leg)
then you've got a Hayes mount.

You should just be able to slacken off the caliper mounting bolts and slide the caliper over to one
side a tiny bit. This is assuming that Hayes are still using their own style of mount, mind.

If they've gone to using an international standard mount, (mounting bolts will be parallel to the
hub axle) you'll have to remove the caliper, and either add or remove spacers between the caliper
and the mount.

Although it's not rocket science to adjust either type of mount, if you've got the IS mount then I'd
take it to the LBS and let them do it, seeing as it's a right pain in the neck at times.

Huw

Status
Not open for further replies.