Hayes Bleeding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Portable Splat Graphics, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. silly question, The "small aluminum fitting" that you got from Hayes, does
    it look like a small hose would fit onto one end? If so the other end of
    that "small aluminum fitting" would fit on the break bleed screw. I think
    that's how'd it go, with out see it :)

    CS
    VT2

    "Concerned Citizen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am trying to bleed my Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but the fitting that came
    > with the Hayes kit does not fit the master cylinder properly.
    > Actually, the kit I bought did not include the fitting at all, but
    > when I called Hayes they mailed me one. It is a small aluminum
    > fitting, and while it does insert into the hole where the bleed screw
    > was removed, it does not mate at all -- nothing holds it in place and
    > there is no seal to keep the fluid in the hose. Am I missing something
    > here? What keeps the fitting in place normally?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Tags:

  2. I am trying to bleed my Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but the fitting that came
    with the Hayes kit does not fit the master cylinder properly.
    Actually, the kit I bought did not include the fitting at all, but
    when I called Hayes they mailed me one. It is a small aluminum
    fitting, and while it does insert into the hole where the bleed screw
    was removed, it does not mate at all -- nothing holds it in place and
    there is no seal to keep the fluid in the hose. Am I missing something
    here? What keeps the fitting in place normally?

    Thanks for any help!

  3. > > I am trying to bleed my Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but the fitting that came
    > > with the Hayes kit does not fit the master cylinder properly.
    > > Actually, the kit I bought did not include the fitting at all, but
    > > when I called Hayes they mailed me one. It is a small aluminum
    > > fitting, and while it does insert into the hole where the bleed screw
    > > was removed, it does not mate at all -- nothing holds it in place and
    > > there is no seal to keep the fluid in the hose. Am I missing something
    > > here? What keeps the fitting in place normally?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help!

    All you need to bleed Hayes brakes is a couple of legths of 1/4" tubing
    and a 100cc or so syringe. The tubing fits into the master cylinder
    hole and it also fits on the bleed nipple on the caliper. Push fluid in
    from the bottom and catch it at the top until there are no air bubbles.

    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >>>I am trying to bleed my Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but the fitting that came
    >>>with the Hayes kit does not fit the master cylinder properly.
    >>>Actually, the kit I bought did not include the fitting at all, but
    >>>when I called Hayes they mailed me one. It is a small aluminum
    >>>fitting, and while it does insert into the hole where the bleed screw
    >>>was removed, it does not mate at all -- nothing holds it in place and
    >>>there is no seal to keep the fluid in the hose. Am I missing something
    >>>here? What keeps the fitting in place normally?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any help!

    > All you need to bleed Hayes brakes is a couple of legths of 1/4" tubing
    > and a 100cc or so syringe. The tubing fits into the master cylinder
    > hole and it also fits on the bleed nipple on the caliper. Push fluid in
    > from the bottom and catch it at the top until there are no air bubbles.

    It sounds like he uncrewed the bleed nipple all the way and is not
    trying to fit the hose in the hole.

    God that above sentence just sounds so wrong!

    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Concerned Citizen wrote:

    > I am trying to bleed my Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but the fitting that came
    > with the Hayes kit does not fit the master cylinder properly.
    > Actually, the kit I bought did not include the fitting at all, but
    > when I called Hayes they mailed me one. It is a small aluminum
    > fitting, and while it does insert into the hole where the bleed screw
    > was removed, it does not mate at all -- nothing holds it in place and
    > there is no seal to keep the fluid in the hose. Am I missing something
    > here? What keeps the fitting in place normally?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    You have the right part. It just presses into bleed hole on the master,
    similar to that piece of crap rubber stopper that is supposed to seal
    the whole system afterwards.

    <begin rant>
    Sorry, I just worked on those things a couple weeks ago for the first
    time... Hayes should be forced to recall those brakes
    <end rant>

    The bleed hole on the master should be pointing straight up while you
    bleed, so the alum fitting won't pop off or anything.

    --
    Slacker

  6. Hey guys,

    Thanks for the help -- I was able to figure out my problem with the
    help of Hayes customer support. My problem was that I had mistaken the
    Torx screw at the top of the master cylinder for the bleed valve. I
    was unscrewing that screw and then trying to use the aluminum fitting
    in the screw's recess. Once I realized where the bleed hole is (under
    the plastic "flap), everything worked fine.

    In my defense, the bleed I kit I purchased did not come with the
    correct bleed fitting, and none of the Hayes directions show a picture
    of the location of the bleed hole, which is amazing to me. I have
    three different sets of Hayes bleed instructions, none show that
    "flap" as the location of the bleed hole.

    Also, I agree with Slacker -- that plastic plug is totally cheesy and
    unacceptable for such an important component.

    Thanks again!

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Concerned Citizen wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to bleed my Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but the fitting that came
    > > with the Hayes kit does not fit the master cylinder properly.
    > > Actually, the kit I bought did not include the fitting at all, but
    > > when I called Hayes they mailed me one. It is a small aluminum
    > > fitting, and while it does insert into the hole where the bleed screw
    > > was removed, it does not mate at all -- nothing holds it in place and
    > > there is no seal to keep the fluid in the hose. Am I missing something
    > > here? What keeps the fitting in place normally?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help!

    > You have the right part. It just presses into bleed hole on the master,
    > similar to that piece of crap rubber stopper that is supposed to seal
    > the whole system afterwards.
    >
    > <begin rant>
    > Sorry, I just worked on those things a couple weeks ago for the first
    > time... Hayes should be forced to recall those brakes
    > <end rant>
    >
    > The bleed hole on the master should be pointing straight up while you
    > bleed, so the alum fitting won't pop off or anything.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Subject: Re: Hayes Bleeding
    > From: [email protected] (Concerned Citizen)
    > Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
    >
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > Thanks for the help -- I was able to figure out my problem with the
    > help of Hayes customer support. My problem was that I had mistaken the
    > Torx screw at the top of the master cylinder for the bleed valve. I
    > was unscrewing that screw and then trying to use the aluminum fitting
    > in the screw's recess. Once I realized where the bleed hole is (under
    > the plastic "flap), everything worked fine.
    >
    > In my defense, the bleed I kit I purchased did not come with the
    > correct bleed fitting, and none of the Hayes directions show a picture
    > of the location of the bleed hole, which is amazing to me. I have
    > three different sets of Hayes bleed instructions, none show that
    > "flap" as the location of the bleed hole.
    >
    > Also, I agree with Slacker -- that plastic plug is totally cheesy and
    > unacceptable for such an important component.
    >
    > Thanks again!

    It get's worse, the Hayes instructions to squeeze the little bottle and
    keep moving fluid in and out never bleeds the system properly, forcing
    it through in one direction with a big syringe does work.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Subject: Re: Hayes Bleeding
    >>From: [email protected] (Concerned Citizen)
    >>Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
    >>
    >>Hey guys,
    >>
    >>Thanks for the help -- I was able to figure out my problem with the
    >>help of Hayes customer support. My problem was that I had mistaken the
    >>Torx screw at the top of the master cylinder for the bleed valve. I
    >>was unscrewing that screw and then trying to use the aluminum fitting
    >>in the screw's recess. Once I realized where the bleed hole is (under
    >>the plastic "flap), everything worked fine.
    >>
    >>In my defense, the bleed I kit I purchased did not come with the
    >>correct bleed fitting, and none of the Hayes directions show a picture
    >>of the location of the bleed hole, which is amazing to me. I have
    >>three different sets of Hayes bleed instructions, none show that
    >>"flap" as the location of the bleed hole.
    >>
    >>Also, I agree with Slacker -- that plastic plug is totally cheesy and
    >>unacceptable for such an important component.
    >>
    >>Thanks again!
    >>

    > It get's worse, the Hayes instructions to squeeze the little bottle and
    > keep moving fluid in and out never bleeds the system properly, forcing
    > it through in one direction with a big syringe does work.

    Funny you mention this. The front brake on my DH bike went out on me
    one morning. I asked one of the lift employees for shop LBS
    recommendation that knows how to work on DH bikes/disc brakes. He
    sent me down the road about a mile...

    The shop dude looked at me (and the DH bike) and asked, "brakes?" I
    replied, "yes." First thing he did was to whip out the syringe. He
    had the brakes bled, test riding/doing wheelies in the driveway in
    about 15 minutes :) Kinda made me all tingly inside thinking about
    well run shops.

    The brakes are now perrrrrfect!!! I'll be picking up a syringe shortly.

    --
    Slacker