Hayes Disc rotor size vs pad's surface area

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Colin, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin

Colin Guest

I have observed theses on new Hayes HFX-9 G2 caliper's original pads:-

a) stack one of the pad on top of the 6" disc's "braking sweep area" and you will find that the pad
    is about 2mm wider;

b) on an 8" disc, the pad stack up just nice aligned to the "braking sweep area".

In other words, having an 8" disc will enable 100% utilization of the pad's brake material
    surface area.

Not sure if this is due to manufacturing tolerance, but I have also checked all Hayes pads
    that available in the bike shop against all replacement disc (both 6 & 8) from Hayes, and
    result is the same.

Any comment?

Tags:

2. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:55:06 +0800, "Colin" <[email protected]> may have said:

>I have observed theses on new Hayes HFX-9 G2 caliper's original pads:-
    >
    >a) stack one of the pad on top of the 6" disc's "braking sweep area" and you will find that the pad
    > is about 2mm wider;
    >
    >b) on an 8" disc, the pad stack up just nice aligned to the "braking sweep area".
    >
    >In other words, having an 8" disc will enable 100% utilization of the pad's brake material
    >surface area.
    >
    >Not sure if this is due to manufacturing tolerance, but I have also checked all Hayes pads that
    >available in the bike shop against all replacement disc (both 6 & 8) from Hayes, and result is
    >the same.
    >
    >Any comment?

Economy of scale of pad production, most likely. There have been brake pads on automobiles (notably
    some Chrysler front-wheel-drive cars of the late '80s and/or early '90s, if I recall correctly)
    whose brake pads overhung the edge of the disc's friction surface by about 10 mm. Interestingly, on
    those models, substituting a specific rotor from a different model was a bolt-on mod which produced
    100% pad contact.

Pad overhang past the edge of the disc is not a problem until the pads wear enough that the unworn
    shoulders contact each other. A little attention with a file at that time is warranted.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.