Hayes Disk Caliper - Centering Tip

D T W .../\\...

Guest
With winter here I've been swapping wheel sets and adjusting brakes a lot. I find that squeezing the
lever while tightening the bolts doesn't always take away the rub. I cut two shims from a Coke
(aluminum, aluminium can) and let the rotor drag them into place in front of each pad (Important -
keep the shims cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol - your finger oils will decrease braking efficiency).
Then I loosely tightened the bolts, pumped the brake, tighten some more, pump, tighten. Works great
for me. Don't forget to take the shims out!

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

"D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> With winter here I've been swapping wheel sets and adjusting brakes a lot. I find that squeezing
> the lever while tightening the bolts doesn't always take away the rub. I cut two shims from a Coke
> (aluminum, aluminium can) and let the rotor drag them into place in front of each pad (Important -
> keep the shims cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol - your finger oils will decrease braking
> efficiency). Then I loosely tightened the bolts, pumped the brake, tighten some more, pump,
> tighten. Works great for me. Don't forget to take the shims out!
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

Not a Hayes owner, but that sounds like an excellent tip.

Now I won't hafta just "Google it"

Dave (see how easy that was Bob?)

I'm new to disks, I have Hayes Hyd. I notice, what for me seems like alot of noise and more
importantly friction.

I'm familiar with car disks where we leave'm rubbing against the rotor until they break-in.

Am I gathering that we want, (sounds good to me) a little gap between the pads and the disk/rotor?

Are there instructions available for the proper adjustment of the brake calipers?

JeffP...

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>
> > With winter here I've been swapping wheel sets and adjusting brakes a lot. I find that squeezing
> > the lever while tightening the bolts doesn't always take away the rub. I cut two shims from a
> > Coke (aluminum, aluminium can) and let the rotor drag them into place in front of each pad
> > (Important - keep the shims cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol - your finger oils will decrease
> > braking efficiency). Then I loosely tightened the bolts, pumped the brake, tighten some more,
> > pump, tighten. Works great for me. Don't forget to take the shims out!
> >
> > --
> > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
> >
> > I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.
> >

> Not a Hayes owner, but that sounds like an excellent tip.
>
> Now I won't hafta just "Google it"
>
> Dave (see how easy that was Bob?)

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>
> > With winter here I've been swapping wheel sets and adjusting brakes a lot. I find that squeezing
> > the lever while tightening the bolts doesn't always take away the rub. I cut two shims from a
> > Coke (aluminum, aluminium can) and let the rotor drag them into place in front of each pad
> > (Important - keep the shims cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol - your finger oils will decrease
> > braking efficiency). Then I loosely tightened the bolts, pumped the brake, tighten some more,
> > pump, tighten. Works great for me. Don't forget to take the shims out!
> >

> Now I won't hafta just "Google it"

No, *you* won't because you read the original post.

> Dave (see how easy that was Bob?)

The next guy that asks would do well to google it, now wouldn't they?
--
Jonesy

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> With winter here I've been swapping wheel sets and adjusting brakes a lot.
> find that squeezing the lever while tightening the bolts doesn't always
take
> away the rub. I cut two shims from a Coke (aluminum, aluminium can) and
let
> the rotor drag them into place in front of each pad (Important - keep the shims cleaned with
> Isopropyl alcohol - your finger oils will decrease braking efficiency).

Dang, how much grease is dripping off your fingers, eh? :)

> Then I loosely tightened the bolts, pumped the brake, tighten some more, pump, tighten. Works
> great for me. Don't forget to take the shims out!

Been doing this using a business card on each side for some time now. The aluminum shim should
be better, I think, because a card is a bit of trouble getting it worked into place. I'll try
the can-shim on the next go round. A related tip for on-the-trail adjustments I've learned
lately: I sometimes put up with dragging noise that can be easily stopped just by pushing the
brake lightly for a bit and letting off, allowing the self adjustment to reset itself. (This
also cleans off minor bits of grit, if that is causing the drag.) Mine have dragged only mildly
and occasionally, and I've started doing this, especially after stopping the bike to clean
something off the trail and restarting. It seems to want to drag just very lightly then, and if
I just squeeze the lever lightly for a bit, only enough that I can even pedal uphill while
braking, it tends to stop the "tinging" drag sounds pretty well. (This will only work for minor
dragging, however, not for the kind that is offering real resistance as you pedal. That kind
likely means it's time for a caliper piston replacement, not a difficult task in itself.)

--
D N
I E T S

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

JeffP wrote:
> I'm new to disks, I have Hayes Hyd. I notice, what for me seems like alot of noise and more
> importantly friction.
>
> Am I gathering that we want, (sounds good to me) a little gap between the pads and the disk/rotor?

Yes, there should be a little gap between the pads and the rotor. The gap should be equal on both
sides. It helps to center the rotor over a light colored surface (like a white piece of paper on
the floor).

> Are there instructions available for the proper adjustment of the brake calipers?

Hayes provides intructions on their site. You can view the manuals in PDF form at:

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/tech.cfm

You can view a Hayes-specific FAQ at:

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/faq.cfm

and a generic disc brake FAQ at: