Hayes HFX disc brakes

Joe Roach

Guest
I've had a set of Hayes HFX disc brakes for 3 months and have done
about 550 miles. This week I noticed a very small amount of brake
fluid on the outside of the reservoir plug on both levers. It is a
really minute amount but after I've cleaned it off and been out on my
bike it re-appears. I can't detect any change in the lever travel.

Does anyone know if this is normal, wear and tear or the start of a
problem?

Although I'm happy to do almost all servicing on my bike, I have
always hated working with hydraulics (previous auto experience) and I
don't want to get into it without good reason.

(I know I could go back to the LBS but that's a bit like admitting
defeat.)

Joe

"Joe Roach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've had a set of Hayes HFX disc brakes for 3 months and have done
> about 550 miles. This week I noticed a very small amount of brake
> fluid on the outside of the reservoir plug on both levers. It is a
> really minute amount but after I've cleaned it off and been out on my
> bike it re-appears. I can't detect any change in the lever travel.
>
> Does anyone know if this is normal, wear and tear or the start of a
> problem?
>
> Although I'm happy to do almost all servicing on my bike, I have
> always hated working with hydraulics (previous auto experience) and I
> don't want to get into it without good reason.
>
> (I know I could go back to the LBS but that's a bit like admitting
> defeat.)
>
> Joe

I have the same brakes and I have put about the same amount of wear on mine
(maybe more). I have yet to encounter the problem you are having.

Maybe try taking the plugs out and cleaning them and the surrounding area
and reseating them. Or just flush and rebleed then watch for leaks.

"Joe Roach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've had a set of Hayes HFX disc brakes for 3 months and have done
> about 550 miles. This week I noticed a very small amount of brake
> fluid on the outside of the reservoir plug on both levers. It is a
> really minute amount but after I've cleaned it off and been out on my
> bike it re-appears. I can't detect any change in the lever travel.
>
> Does anyone know if this is normal, wear and tear or the start of a
> problem?
>
> Although I'm happy to do almost all servicing on my bike, I have
> always hated working with hydraulics (previous auto experience) and I
> don't want to get into it without good reason.
>
> (I know I could go back to the LBS but that's a bit like admitting
> defeat.)
>
> Joe

The plastic plugs the HFX levers use do seem to weep a small amount of
fluid. I don't think they seal as well as the screws on the Mag levers.

Mike

Joe Roach wrote:
> I've had a set of Hayes HFX disc brakes for 3 months and have done
> about 550 miles. This week I noticed a very small amount of brake
> fluid on the outside of the reservoir plug on both levers. It is a
> really minute amount but after I've cleaned it off and been out on my
> bike it re-appears. I can't detect any change in the lever travel.
>
> Does anyone know if this is normal, wear and tear or the start of a
> problem?
>
> Although I'm happy to do almost all servicing on my bike, I have
> always hated working with hydraulics (previous auto experience) and I
> don't want to get into it without good reason.
>
> (I know I could go back to the LBS but that's a bit like admitting
> defeat.)
>
> Joe

My friend has those same brakes on his BigHit. You'll need to check
the plug once in awhile... just push it in and make sure it's seated
as best it can.

His brakes were over filled from the factory too. It didn't seem to
effect the performance too much when some fluid leaked out of his.
My advice to him was to ditch them for some XT/Saint brakes; his mom
works for Shimano :)

--
Slacker

> My advice to him was to ditch them for some XT/Saint brakes; his mom
> works for Shimano :)

When you say that, all I can see on her business card as her title is
"Official Cookie Baker"

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Joe Roach wrote:
> > I've had a set of Hayes HFX disc brakes for 3 months and have done
> > about 550 miles. This week I noticed a very small amount of brake
> > fluid on the outside of the reservoir plug on both levers. It is a
> > really minute amount but after I've cleaned it off and been out on my
> > bike it re-appears. I can't detect any change in the lever travel.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is normal, wear and tear or the start of a
> > problem?
> >
> > Although I'm happy to do almost all servicing on my bike, I have
> > always hated working with hydraulics (previous auto experience) and I
> > don't want to get into it without good reason.
> >
> > (I know I could go back to the LBS but that's a bit like admitting
> > defeat.)
> >
> > Joe

> My friend has those same brakes on his BigHit. You'll need to check
> the plug once in awhile... just push it in and make sure it's seated
> as best it can.
>
> His brakes were over filled from the factory too. It didn't seem to
> effect the performance too much when some fluid leaked out of his.
> My advice to him was to ditch them for some XT/Saint brakes; his mom
> works for Shimano :)

Thanks everybody for replying. I'll keep an eye on it. I admit to
being a bit paranoid about hydraulic leaks after having a seal
suddenly go on one of my front (drum) brakes whilst braking hard on a
motorway many many years ago. It is one of these experiences you
don't forget.

Joe

I've had those brakes for some time, also the HFX Mag 04's, also earlier
versions of the Hayes. I've never had one drop of anything come out of
them, ever. But, with no previous experience, I have successfully bled the
systems with no ill effect. They are simple to work on. I would do a
re-bleed (there is one brass bushing per side that needs to be replaced).
Best of luck.
George