Hayes hydraulic brake - help

Mark

Guest
I am running Hayes hydraulics on my bike and seem to experience a bit of a problem. Over a period of
about two months I lose power in the rear break to the point where when the leaver is pulled right
down to the bar, the wheel can still sort of turn. There also seems to be a tiny amount of fluid on
the calliper, although I could be imagining this.

If the system is bled, it works fine for a couple of months (approx. 3 rides a week)

Could it be that the system is leaking fluid really slowly ?

Anyone else experience a similar problem ?

Any advise appreciated.

Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am running Hayes hydraulics on my bike and seem to experience a bit of a problem. Over a period
> of about two months I lose power in the rear break to the point where when the leaver is pulled
> right down to the bar, the wheel can still sort of turn. There also seems to be a tiny amount of
> fluid on the calliper, although I could be imagining this.
>
> If the system is bled, it works fine for a couple of months (approx. 3
rides
> a week)
>
> Could it be that the system is leaking fluid really slowly ?
>
> Anyone else experience a similar problem ?
>
> Any advise appreciated.

Sounds like a leak to _me_ - remove the calliper, check closely, check calliper half retaining bolts
are tight, if so, sounds like you may need new seals - replace them, re-assemble, and bleed - should
be fine then. If they're under warranty, send/take them back to the shop.

Shaun aRe - Oh, and it's 'advice', not 'advise', BTW ',;~}

Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am running Hayes hydraulics on my bike and seem to experience a bit of
> > problem. Over a period of about two months I lose power in the rear break to the point where
> > when the leaver is pulled right down to the bar, the wheel
can
> > still sort of turn. There also seems to be a tiny amount of fluid on the calliper, although
> > could be imagining this.
> >
> > If the system is bled, it works fine for a couple of months (approx. 3
> rides
> > a week)
> >
> > Could it be that the system is leaking fluid really slowly ?
> >
> > Anyone else experience a similar problem ?
> >
> > Any advise appreciated.
>
> Sounds like a leak to _me_ - remove the calliper, check closely, check calliper half retaining
> bolts are tight, if so, sounds like you may need
new
> seals - replace them, re-assemble, and bleed - should be fine then. If they're under warranty,
> send/take them back to the shop.
>
> Shaun aRe - Oh, and it's 'advice', not 'advise', BTW ',;~}

Thanks for the help Shaun.

Strange my spell check didn't pick that up.

Mind you, it does recomend I replace the word "gonna" with "gonad"....

Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I am running Hayes hydraulics on my bike and seem to experience a bit
of
> > > problem. Over a period of about two months I lose power in the rear break to
the
> > > point where when the leaver is pulled right down to the bar, the wheel
> can
> > > still sort of turn. There also seems to be a tiny amount of fluid on the calliper,
although
> > > could be imagining this.
> > >
> > > If the system is bled, it works fine for a couple of months (approx. 3
> > rides
> > > a week)
> > >
> > > Could it be that the system is leaking fluid really slowly ?
> > >
> > > Anyone else experience a similar problem ?
> > >
> > > Any advise appreciated.
> >
> > Sounds like a leak to _me_ - remove the calliper, check closely, check calliper half retaining
> > bolts are tight, if so, sounds like you may need
> new
> > seals - replace them, re-assemble, and bleed - should be fine then. If they're under warranty,
> > send/take them back to the shop.
> >
> > Shaun aRe - Oh, and it's 'advice', not 'advise', BTW ',;~}
> >

> Thanks for the help Shaun.

They were only generalised suggestions based on a general practical knowledge - I have no experience
of Hayes brakes personally, but yer welcome anyway.

> Strange my spell check didn't pick that up.

That's because it is a word - verb - 'I will advise him' etc.

I constantly misspell stuff, and usually on porpoise ',;~}

> Mind you, it does recomend I replace the word "gonna" with "gonad"....

Heheheheh - I already gots most of my faves 'added' to the spell check ',;~}

Shaun aRe

> Mark wrote:
>
> >>Shaun aRe - Oh, and it's 'advice', not 'advise', BTW ',;~}
> >>

> > Strange my spell check didn't pick that up.
>
> Possibly because 'advise' is a verb?
>
> > Mind you, it does recomend I replace the word "gonna" with "gonad"....
>
> Nice. For anyone with the Nokia predictive texting, try typing in 'Smirnoff'.

Why, woss it do?

Shaun aRe

> > Strange my spell check didn't pick that up.
>
> Possibly because 'advise' is a verb?
>
> > Mind you, it does recomend I replace the word "gonna" with "gonad"....
>
> Nice. For anyone with the Nokia predictive texting, try typing in 'Smirnoff'.

Nice one.

I wonder if there is a website dedicated to those nokia text anomalies ?

RE/
>There also seems to be a tiny amount of fluid on the calliper, although I could be imagining this.
>
>If the system is bled, it works fine for a couple of months (approx. 3 rides a week)
>
>Could it be that the system is leaking fluid really slowly ?
>
>Anyone else experience a similar problem ?

I had a maybe-similar situation with one of my Hopes.

It didn't dawn on me, however until the lever travel increase was happening during the course of a
single 2-3 hour ride.

With mine, the cause was the seals in the lever's piston going bad. Got a rebuild kit (piston,
spring with seals pre-installed) from Hope and all is well. One thing I noticed was that one the
rebuild the seals were different. O-rings on the old ones, sort of a skirt facing in one direction
on the new ones.
Pete Cresswell