Hazard of cycling as we get older

Tom Keats wrote:
> Yeah, a lot of folks are down on tee shirts for riding because
> they're cotton and therefore non-wicking. But when you've got
> a closet full of them, it's no big deal to go through a few
> (or more) changes in the course of a day.

Also, tee shirts are cheap, so it's easy to have a closet full of them.
Jerseys are expensive, and it's a chore to collect enough of them.

When my husband and I were riding this afternoon, we saw a woman riding
in a blaze orange tee shirt. It was hard NOT to see her. The posted
speed limit on the parkway we were riding on is 55 mph, so this was A
Very Good Thing.

I know what color my next couple of tee shirts are gonna be. :)

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:22:30 GMT, the black rose
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Keats wrote:
>> Yeah, a lot of folks are down on tee shirts for riding because
>> they're cotton and therefore non-wicking. But when you've got
>> a closet full of them, it's no big deal to go through a few
>> (or more) changes in the course of a day.

>Also, tee shirts are cheap, so it's easy to have a closet full of them.
> Jerseys are expensive, and it's a chore to collect enough of them.
>
>When my husband and I were riding this afternoon, we saw a woman riding
>in a blaze orange tee shirt. It was hard NOT to see her. The posted
>speed limit on the parkway we were riding on is 55 mph, so this was A
>Very Good Thing.
>
>I know what color my next couple of tee shirts are gonna be. :)
>
>-km

Your friendly WalMart carries a good line of very colorful Soccer
Jersies for very little money. They work well for bicycle riding.

"the black rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Keats wrote:
> > Yeah, a lot of folks are down on tee shirts for riding because
> > they're cotton and therefore non-wicking. But when you've got
> > a closet full of them, it's no big deal to go through a few
> > (or more) changes in the course of a day.

> Also, tee shirts are cheap, so it's easy to have a closet full of them.
> Jerseys are expensive, and it's a chore to collect enough of them.
>
> When my husband and I were riding this afternoon, we saw a woman riding
> in a blaze orange tee shirt. It was hard NOT to see her. The posted
> speed limit on the parkway we were riding on is 55 mph, so this was A
> Very Good Thing.
>
> I know what color my next couple of tee shirts are gonna be. :)

On-line suppliers like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post often have CoolMax
T-shirts for $10. I prefer them to jerseys, I almost never wear any of my
dozen or so jerseys. I've go those T-shirts in several colors, including blaze
orange.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[...]

> On-line suppliers like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post often have
> CoolMax T-shirts for $10. I prefer them to jerseys, I almost never
> wear any of my dozen or so jerseys. I've go those T-shirts in several
> colors, including blaze orange.

What do you do for pockets?

--

A: Top-posters.

"DRS" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
>> On-line suppliers like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post often have
>> CoolMax T-shirts for $10. I prefer them to jerseys, I almost never
>> wear any of my dozen or so jerseys. I've go those T-shirts in several
>> colors, including blaze orange.

> What do you do for pockets?

As for myself, ***** packs work okay, although I don't really
like wearing them. I just settle for them because they're
better than nothing. They're lousy for carrying glasses in,
though.

Those under-the-saddle 'wedge' packs look good for carrying
personal items such as wallet, keys, etc. As long as they
don't fall off, or get forgotten about after parking the bike
and walking away from it.

A few posts up this thread, Dane Jackson mentions how useful
cargo shorts are.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
> > On-line suppliers like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post often have
> > CoolMax T-shirts for $10. I prefer them to jerseys, I almost never
> > wear any of my dozen or so jerseys. I've go those T-shirts in several
> > colors, including blaze orange.

> What do you do for pockets?

I use a wedge bag for keys, phone, tubes & patch kit; have frame mounted
pumps. For long rides (centuries+) I'll throw on a clamp-on rear rack & trunk
bag. Since I switch back & forth between several bikes, I prefer to use a
wedge bag that switches quickly from bike to bike. I have a Zefal that doesn't
use special hardware, just hangs (t-bar) from saddle rails and Velcros to the
post. My distance bike also has aerobars; I sometimes bungee a jacket there,
or a small bag to hold a little food. My errand bike has a permanent rear rack
with a milk crate bolted on. Over the years I've come to really dislike
anything on my back, especially when it's hot, & that's when I'm mostly riding
in only a T-shirt.

Peter Cole wrote:
> "the black rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Tom Keats wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, a lot of folks are down on tee shirts for riding because
>>>they're cotton and therefore non-wicking. But when you've got
>>>a closet full of them, it's no big deal to go through a few
>>>(or more) changes in the course of a day.

>>Also, tee shirts are cheap, so it's easy to have a closet full of them.
>> Jerseys are expensive, and it's a chore to collect enough of them.
>>
>>When my husband and I were riding this afternoon, we saw a woman riding
>>in a blaze orange tee shirt. It was hard NOT to see her. The posted
>>speed limit on the parkway we were riding on is 55 mph, so this was A
>>Very Good Thing.
>>
>>I know what color my next couple of tee shirts are gonna be. :)

> On-line suppliers like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post often have CoolMax
> T-shirts for $10. I prefer them to jerseys, I almost never wear any of my
> dozen or so jerseys. I've go those T-shirts in several colors, including blaze
> orange.

Thanks for the tips and links, guys (I'm including Robert Masse's info
there).

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Use a rear rack with a bag mounted to it.

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:54:33 -0000, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
>
> You're lucky. I've been excessively busy with non-bicycling things,
> and mostly during times that I would ride. My riding is suffering.

It's amazing how much of your time a seven pound baby can take up.
Much less when you have a three year old to chase after simultaneously.
Thank Zoroaster for cycling to work, or I'd get hardly any miles in.

http://pinko.mommie.org/gallery/zuzu

>>trying to catch up. Only 2400 more articles to go...

> Do what I did: Shove 'em off into a folder somewhere, intending to
> read them in the future, then forget and never read 'em.

Now I'm up to 4000. I caught up for a couple days

>>OT: Typing with cycling gloves on is a pain.

> Your gloves are too small.

No, I think the padding was too thick. I picked up a new pair because
the palm on my old ones split, and the new ones are better to type with.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"It's an impressive feat to put the last nail in

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It's amazing how much of your time a seven pound baby can take up.
> Much less when you have a three year old to chase after simultaneously.
> Thank Zoroaster for cycling to work, or I'd get hardly any miles in.
>
> http://pinko.mommie.org/gallery/zuzu

Oooh, cute. And the baby looks like a sweetie pie, too.

> >>trying to catch up. Only 2400 more articles to go...

> > Do what I did: Shove 'em off into a folder somewhere, intending to
> > read them in the future, then forget and never read 'em.

> Now I'm up to 4000. I caught up for a couple days

There are certain threads you can delete/mark as read right now, and really
not miss much other than the same old drivel. These include:

Cities Turning to Bicycles
Troll, not published helmet research
published helmet research - not troll
Odd interaction with a road rager
fat and the suburban sprawl
What would Jesus had driven before an accident?
Why 5,000 anti-Bush Bikers at NY Rep convention?
Cycling and vegetarianism
Drivers: How can you love something you hate so much?

There. Just doing those should bring down your unread total considerably.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

>There are certain threads you can delete/mark as read right now, and really
>not miss much other than the same old drivel. These include:

>Cities Turning to Bicycles

Like Bombers turning to Butterfiles?
I was looking forward to that one
--
mac the naïf

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> http://pinko.mommie.org/gallery/zuzu

> Oooh, cute. And the baby looks like a sweetie pie, too.

Danke. We kept the receipt (just in case), but I think we'll keep her.
The only 'problem' is that I am now heavily outnumbered at 3 XX to my 1
XY set of chromosomes.

>> Now I'm up to 4000. I caught up for a couple days

> There are certain threads you can delete/mark as read right now, and really
> not miss much other than the same old drivel. These include:

> Cities Turning to Bicycles
> Troll, not published helmet research
> published helmet research - not troll
> Odd interaction with a road rager
> fat and the suburban sprawl
> What would Jesus had driven before an accident?
> Why 5,000 anti-Bush Bikers at NY Rep convention?
> Cycling and vegetarianism
> Drivers: How can you love something you hate so much?

I killfiled some, and for most of the rest I'm just using threadview
and only reading comments by people I usually find particularly edifying.
Down to about 2600 now...

Hmmm, the sigmonster seems to be urging me to take action. How odd.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Veni, vedi, vasectomy. I came, I saw, I clipped."

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>
> >> http://pinko.mommie.org/gallery/zuzu

> > Oooh, cute. And the baby looks like a sweetie pie, too.

> Danke. We kept the receipt (just in case), but I think we'll keep her.

Yeah, you have the receipt, but do you have the instruction manual? And
believe me, it's worth it to spring for the model with the "off" switch. You
think you're saving money now, but it's years off of your sanity to have the
kind that makes noise continually.

> The only 'problem' is that I am now heavily outnumbered at 3 XX to my 1
> XY set of chromosomes.

Depending on heredity and the timing of when you have your babies, you can
end up with your wife hitting menopause just as your girls hit puberty.
That's what we're looking at facing -- my husband's going to really wish he
built that shed out back.

> "Veni, vedi, vasectomy. I came, I saw, I clipped."

You know what they say about this -- when you come home from the surgery,
you buy a cold six pack. You put one between your legs and drink the rest.

--

Dane Jackson wrote:
> Danke. We kept the receipt (just in case), but I think we'll keep her.
> The only 'problem' is that I am now heavily outnumbered at 3 XX to my 1
> XY set of chromosomes.

It all comes out in the wash. I'm heavily outnumbered over here. 1 XX
to 4 XY. 5 if you count the dog. 6 if you count the son who moved out.

I desperately want to get a female pet of any kind, just to have
something to commiserate with.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Danke. We kept the receipt (just in case), but I think we'll keep her.

> Yeah, you have the receipt, but do you have the instruction manual? And
> believe me, it's worth it to spring for the model with the "off" switch. You
> think you're saving money now, but it's years off of your sanity to have the
> kind that makes noise continually.

Oooh! No, no off switch. But I think my wife and I lost our sanity
a while ago, so hopefully we can manage. Maybe it's behind the couch?
In the cushions is a good possibility.

>> The only 'problem' is that I am now heavily outnumbered at 3 XX to my 1
>> XY set of chromosomes.

> Depending on heredity and the timing of when you have your babies, you can
> end up with your wife hitting menopause just as your girls hit puberty.
> That's what we're looking at facing -- my husband's going to really wish he
> built that shed out back.

Assuming average onset age, the younger child should be finishing high
school about then. So that's not so much of a worry. As for your
husband, he has a while to hang out in uk.rec.sheds to soak up good
ideas for his Fortress of Solitude.

>> "Veni, vedi, vasectomy. I came, I saw, I clipped."

> You know what they say about this -- when you come home from the surgery,
> you buy a cold six pack. You put one between your legs and drink the rest.

Actually, in all seriousness, I was wondering if anyone on the group had
words as vasectomies relate to cycling?

I don't actually mind the idea of the surgery much, but someone who had
it mentioned they were off the bike for *three* weeks. That might kill
me to be off the bike so long. So was that overkill, or would I be out
for that long?

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Special today---no ice cream."

the black rose <[email protected]> wrote:

> It all comes out in the wash. I'm heavily outnumbered over here. 1 XX
> to 4 XY. 5 if you count the dog. 6 if you count the son who moved out.

Actually I'm being tongue in cheek. This was actually my preferred
outcome. I've never really understood our (or some other's societies
even more exagerated) mania for male children.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Benson, you are so free of the ravages of intelligence"