He bought a bike! He bought a bike!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by the black rose, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. My husband bought a bike!

    I think I'm more excited than he is!

    Earlier this week he found a 2001 touring bike hiding in our favorite
    LBS, on sale for about $300 off, and was very intrigued. He test-rode
    it, and it fit him perfectly.

    This is a man who will happily spend large amounts of money on me or the
    boys, but it's usually like pulling teeth to get him to buy himself a
    pair of socks, much less anything pricey. You could have knocked me
    over with a feather when out of the blue he said to me, "Would it upset
    you if I bought that bike?"

    *blink*

    Upset me? UPSET ME??? I'm so tickled pink I can hardly contain myself!
    He really wants to ride with me! He's really hooked!

    *beam*

    Oh, I found it on the manufacturer's website. The frame on his bike is
    a nice dark green, not the banana yellow pictured (I doubt my extremely
    conservative husband would have bought the bike had it been that shade
    of yellow).

    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/01/cusa/model-1TR8.html

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
    the black rose

  2. Paul Turner

    Paul Turner Guest

    the black rose writes:

    > My husband bought a bike!

    I ride a Cannondale t800 touring bike every day and remain very happy with
    it. I believe mine's from the same 2001 model year, but I have the "banana
    yellow" one you say your husband would be too conservative to be seen on.
    It's not built for speed, but I think it's a great city bike, commuter
    bike, errand bike, and so forth. It's a good bike for big guys, with stiff
    oversized aluminum tubing, and you can carry a lot of stuff on it with
    ease. I hope he likes his.

    Paul Turner

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:42:00 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, the black rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > He really wants to ride with me! He's really hooked!

    With your new bike he was worried that he wouldn't be able to hang
    onto your wheel any more.
    --
    zk

  4. >*blink*

    >Upset me? UPSET ME??? I'm so tickled pink I can hardly contain myself!
    > He really wants to ride with me! He's really hooked!
    >
    >*beam*

    Excellent. Before you know it, he'll be wearing Lycra cycling kit in clashing
    lurid colours ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  5. Paul Turner wrote:
    > the black rose writes:
    >
    >> My husband bought a bike!

    > I ride a Cannondale t800 touring bike every day and remain very happy
    > with it. I believe mine's from the same 2001 model year, but I have the
    > "banana yellow" one you say your husband would be too conservative to be
    > seen on.

    Hey, don't blame me if he's stuffy. He gets it from his father.

    Me, if I get a bike for loaded touring, I'm HIGHLY tempted to get one in
    a garish color, just to shock him. His mother would get a kick out of that.

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:42:00 +0000, the black rose wrote:

    > My husband bought a bike!

    Excellent! :D

    I do find it highly amusing/irritating to see this comment on the bikes
    spec page:

    *Rack and fenders on European models only.

    [shakes head]

    Get that fellow some fenders! They're about as conservative as you get.

    I've enjoyed mine for the last week riding every day in the rain, I got
    wet but not dirty. :)

  7. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    the black rose <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The frame on his bike is
    > a nice dark green, not the banana yellow pictured (I doubt my extremely
    > conservative husband would have bought the bike had it been that shade
    > of yellow).

    I have a buddy who used to be a canvasser for California Peace Action,
    and he said that people with yellow houses were almost inevitably
    Republicans. Maybe Greens ar more likely to have yellow bikes and
    dark green houses?

    My first really nice bike, which I got around the time of my 19th
    birthday, was a lavender 15-speed Cannondale MTB with white stem and
    handlebars and pink grips. It was totally rad. :^)

    Chalo Colina
    "bitchin' twitchin'"

  8. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    Iknow just how you feel. "Do you think you could teach me how to ride a bike" My wife said a couple of months ago. She never got a bike or learned how to ride as a kid.

    Then I had great joy/pain finding her a bike. I finally settled on a Trek 7400.
    http://trekbikes.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&product_id=26&subcategory_id=3

    Brilliant bike - 8 speed hub gear... She's just learned how to ballance and I've just put the pedals on... can't wait to go riding together.

  9. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:20:35 +1000, Dominic Sansom wrote:

    > Iknow just how you feel. "Do you think you could teach me how to ride a
    > bike" My wife said a couple of months ago. She never got a bike or learned
    > how to ride as a kid.
    >
    > Then I had great joy/pain finding her a bike. I finally settled on a Trek
    > 7400.
    > http://trekbikes.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&product_id=26&subcategory_id=3

    nice choice for your wife! Internal hubs are great for beginners and old
    timers alike. No fussy, just ridee

    :D

    I wish they sold that model here in the states, that's neato mosquito!!

    :D :D

  10. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Dominic wrote:
    > Iknow just how you feel. "Do you think you could teach me how to ride a
    > bike" My wife said a couple of months ago. She never got a bike or
    > learned how to ride as a kid.
    >
    > Then I had great joy/pain finding her a bike. I finally settled on a
    > Trek 7400. ...

    Take her out on a tandem (one of those Schwinn Twinns they rent in
    parks and at Mackinac Island) and let her feel the wind in her hair.
    If she can get used to going fast with someone else driving, it might
    make self-propulsion less intimidating.
    HTH

    --Karen M.
    who bought a tandem to take my mama out...

  11. Mark Weaver

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Karen M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dominic wrote:
    > > Iknow just how you feel. "Do you think you could teach me how to ride a
    > > bike" My wife said a couple of months ago. She never got a bike or
    > > learned how to ride as a kid.
    > >
    > > Then I had great joy/pain finding her a bike. I finally settled on a
    > > Trek 7400. ...

    > Take her out on a tandem (one of those Schwinn Twinns they rent in
    > parks and at Mackinac Island) and let her feel the wind in her hair.
    > If she can get used to going fast with someone else driving, it might
    > make self-propulsion less intimidating.

    I once rode one of those heavy Schwinn Tandems through Chicago with an adult
    woman who'd never learned to ride a bike as a kid (the wife of a friend of
    mine). It was kind of an adventure having somebody on back there with no
    sense of how to balance a bike--it was a good thing that I weigh around 185#
    and she was closer to 115#. And even so there were a couple of moments
    there ;)

    Mark

  12. Darin McGrew

    Darin McGrew Guest

    Mark Weaver <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I once rode one of those heavy Schwinn Tandems through Chicago with an adult
    > woman who'd never learned to ride a bike as a kid (the wife of a friend of
    > mine). It was kind of an adventure having somebody on back there with no
    > sense of how to balance a bike--it was a good thing that I weigh around 185#
    > and she was closer to 115#. And even so there were a couple of moments
    > there ;)

    When we rented traditional tandems, my wife (also lacking bike experience)
    didn't throw off my balance much, but I'm quite a bit bigger and stronger
    than she is. But her "Eeeek Alarm" would go off at what I considered normal
    riding speeds (say, 15mph, or sometimes even 10mph).

    Interestingly, she had no problem with faster speeds (say, 25mph) on the
    Viewpoint tandem that we took for a test drive. Ours should arrive by the
    end of the month!
    --
    Darin McGrew, [email protected], http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
    Web Design Group, [email protected], http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

    key ring /'kE 'ri[ng]/ n. device enabling simultaneous loss of multiple keys

  13. maxo wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:42:00 +0000, the black rose wrote:
    >

    >>My husband bought a bike!

    > Excellent! :D
    >
    > I do find it highly amusing/irritating to see this comment on the bikes
    > spec page:
    >

    > *Rack and fenders on European models only.
    >
    > [shakes head]

    Yeah, I felt the same way. What, like Amurricans never ride bikes with
    fenders? Yeesh.

    > Get that fellow some fenders! They're about as conservative as you get.

    I plan to, but not right away. This man just spent more money on
    himself than he has in.... I don't know how long. I'll ease him into
    the accessories. It'll work better that way.

    > I've enjoyed mine for the last week riding every day in the rain, I got
    > wet but not dirty. :)

    Har. I don't care either way, really, except that I hear that fenders
    keep the drivetrain cleaner as well as the rider -- keeping the
    drivetrain cleaner I can see going to the trouble for.

    I hate, loathe and despise being cold AND wet though. I'm a weenie.
    I'm also small. When my husband and I ride together in cool weather,
    he's doing everything he can to shed body heat, and I'm working hard to
    keep it.

    Ivan is raining on us right now, and it's pretty cool too. So I'm
    profoundly reluctant to get on my bike. But it's supposed to clear up
    Sunday -- just in time for a nice Sunday ride. :-D

    -km

    --

  14. Chalo wrote:
    > the black rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>The frame on his bike is
    >>a nice dark green, not the banana yellow pictured (I doubt my extremely
    >>conservative husband would have bought the bike had it been that shade
    >>of yellow).

    > I have a buddy who used to be a canvasser for California Peace Action,
    > and he said that people with yellow houses were almost inevitably
    > Republicans. Maybe Greens ar more likely to have yellow bikes and
    > dark green houses?

    Mmm, DH is a Republican and prefers the dark green bike (and the white
    house), so I dunno. He also wears tailored shirts and tasteful ties.
    But not while riding. *grin*

    I'm a Democrat. I'd ride the yellow bike, but a dark green house would
    depress me. I'd go for a yellow house, though. And my rain jacket is
    an eye-stabbing neon hot pink.

    Yes, we often cancel each other out in local elections. It's gotten to
    be a running joke in our family.

    -km

    --

  15. Dominic Sansom wrote:
    > the black rose Wrote:
    >
    >>I'm so tickled pink I can hardly contain myself!
    >>He really wants to ride with me! He's really hooked!
    >>

    > Iknow just how you feel. "Do you think you could teach me how to ride a
    > bike" My wife said a couple of months ago. She never got a bike or
    > learned how to ride as a kid.
    >
    > Then I had great joy/pain finding her a bike. I finally settled on a
    > Trek 7400.
    > http://trekbikes.com.au/catalogue.cgi?rm=product&product_id=26&subcategory_id=3
    >
    > Brilliant bike - 8 speed hub gear... She's just learned how to ballance
    > and I've just put the pedals on... can't wait to go riding together.

    Very nice bike!

    Ain't it great when your sweetie wants to ride with you? I'm loving it.

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  16. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    the black rose <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Chalo wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a buddy who used to be a canvasser for California Peace Action,
    > > and he said that people with yellow houses were almost inevitably
    > > Republicans. Maybe Greens ar more likely to have yellow bikes and
    > > dark green houses?

    > Mmm, DH is a Republican and prefers the dark green bike (and the white
    > house), so I dunno. He also wears tailored shirts and tasteful ties.
    > But not while riding. *grin*

    My sweetie is inclined towards bright oranges, pinks, and spring
    greens. Worn together if possible. I got her a nice '80s vintage
    pink and white Schwinn Super Sport lugged frame to build up with a
    Rohloff Speedhub. She thinks it isn't bright enough, and wants to
    repaint it orange.

    I asked her how she might like to camoflage her hub to make it less
    conspicuous. She said, "how about moss?" !!!

    Chalo Colina

  17. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    Chalo wrote: -

    > My sweetie is inclined towards bright oranges, pinks, and spring
    > greens. Worn together if possible. >

    It appears to be an immutable law of cycling that colours not found in
    nature tend to proliferate - good for visibility; fashion and taste are
    entirely secondary considerations.

    best, Andrew

  18. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Chalo wrote: -
    >>
    >> My sweetie is inclined towards bright oranges, pinks, and spring
    >> greens. Worn together if possible. >

    > It appears to be an immutable law of cycling that colours not found in
    > nature tend to proliferate - good for visibility; fashion and taste are
    > entirely secondary considerations.

    If I could get a custom paint job for my bike,
    I'd like buttermilk white, with apple green
    Celtic knotwork detailing along the tubes.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  19. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote: (clip) Celtic knotwork detailing
    along the tubes.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A custom decorated bicycle might be an appropriate display for those of us
    that are too conservative to wear tattoos.

  20. Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote: (clip) Celtic knotwork detailing
    > along the tubes.
    > A custom decorated bicycle might be an appropriate display for those of us
    > that are too conservative to wear tattoos.

    Oh hey, now there's an idea. I got a good visual of that, green
    knotwork on creamy white would be gorgeous.

    Every now and then I'm tempted to get a tattoo, but then I remember what
    they look like when you're 90 years old. Blech!

    -km