he is heavy, hes my brother-

Example.Com

Guest
OOH, my kind of question. I am 6'7 and for the longest time have weighed 300 lbs (oops - scale only
went to 300...) only recently getting to the low/under side of 300. I have 2 bikes:
1. < 1year old Giant (appropriate name, eh??) I really like this bike! Frame is 23". extended seat
post, steering stuff. I miss the get down on the drops and pump with this bike. (36 spokes,
700c wheels, big tires <700cx42??>,...)
2. 1987 (+/-) big tube Cannondale Aluminum frame road bike (27" SEAT TUBE!!!, 27x1-1/4" tires- this
bike FLIES). Today on the way home from work, the left crank arm (pedal arm?) cracked (see other
posts about STANDING on the pedals-I guess they told the truth) I really, really, really like
this bike! My LBS (bike shop) is really really good at dealing with us big folks (belitte
Bicycle, jamaica avenue, jamaica, ny- peter, sal, & karl....) Tire air pressure is absolutely
CRITICAL. Load carrying capacity is directly related to AIR PRESSURE (and tire cross section),
and you need to have the highest capacity (pressure) tires possible with the largest cross
section area possible. More weight deforms tires and results in increased contact area with the
ground = increased drag, etc.

I agree with this info:
> I still think the best idea would be to bag a bike like this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3610417757 Then swap the crank for something
> safe, and replace the wheels with stronger ones when they **** out.
I'm in NY and if I had a local connection there I'd buy this bike in a NY minute. -jim ryan

"example.com" wrote:

> My LBS (bike shop) is really really good at dealing with us big folks (belitte Bicycle, jamaica
> avenue, jamaica, ny- peter, sal, & karl....)

Holy Cow! Are they still around? I got a bike from them in 1959 when I was nine years old!

The 27" Cannondale sounds like the perfect bike for you. Get a new crankset and you'll be back
in business.

Art Harris

> "example.com" wrote:
> > My LBS (bike shop) is really really good at dealing with us big folks (belitte Bicycle, jamaica
> > avenue, jamaica, ny- peter, sal, & karl....)
>
> Holy Cow! Are they still around? I got a bike from them in 1959 when I was nine years old!

Oh, Oh - coincidences: My youngest Uncle said the same thing last year "Holy Cow! Are they still
around?" He got his first bike there in 1932. I was nine in 1959, but had moved out to LI in 1955

"example.com" wrote:
> Oh, Oh - coincidences: My youngest Uncle said the same thing last year "Holy Cow! Are they still
> around?" He got his first bike there in 1932. I was nine in 1959, but had moved out to LI in 1955

That's funny. Even in 1959, it seemed like they had been around a long time. I believe the 1932
story. The first ten speed (2 x 5) I ever saw came from there. Kid next door had it, and I was green
with envy. They were known as "S. Bellitte & Sons." I guess the great grandsons are running it now.

BTW, I'm just a "short" guy of 6' 3" and live out in Suffolk County now.

Art Harris

In article <[email protected]>, example.com
<[email protected]> wrote:
>> "example.com" wrote:
>> > My LBS (bike shop) is really really good at dealing with us big folks (belitte Bicycle, jamaica
>> > avenue, jamaica, ny- peter, sal, & karl....)
>>
>> Holy Cow! Are they still around? I got a bike from them in 1959 when I was nine years old!
>>
>Oh, Oh - coincidences: My youngest Uncle said the same thing last year "Holy Cow! Are they still
>around?" He got his first bike there in 1932. I was nine in 1959, but had moved out to LI in 1955

I'll chime in as another one who got his first 'real' bike from Belitte... A 10 speed. But I'm a
youngster. That was around '67, when I was around 13. Several years later, I bought a leather seat.
I remember the salesman suggested that I spend a little more and get a good one. I listened to him,
and loved that seat. It went from bike to bike until it was stolen (along with the bike)

It's good to hear they're still around. I'll make a point to stop by there the next time I'm in the
neighborhood... Nostalgia.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?