He wants to start racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by .o0 0o., Jun 3, 2004.

  1. .o0 0o.

    .o0 0o. Guest

    A buddy of mine said he wants to start racing next year. I raced a little
    when I was 16-20. I never made it out of Cat4. Best finish was 9th when I
    did a Cat4 race while still a junior. I went on the hammer rides every
    Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and was able to make a few pulls with the Cat2
    guys punishing us. Now I ride for fun, exercise and transportation only.
    Maybe 40-60 mile rides on Sat and Sun. My buddy just started riding last
    year. I am not in terrible shape but not at all in any condition to race.
    The thing is, this guy is worse than me! We rode with a small group this
    past Sunday (about 7 all together) for 20 miles. We were trying to avoid
    the bad weather that was approaching. We averaged 17mph and this guy fell
    off the back 3 or 4 times. How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    serious training if he wants to race?

    --
    Heterosexual does NOT mean homophobic
    White does NOT mean racist

    __o
    _`\(,_
    (_)/ (_)

    >How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    >serious training if he wants to race?

    After his first race he will understand.
    ------------
    Alex

  3. TM

    TM Guest

    ".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    > serious training if he wants to race?

    Your friend sounds like a perfect cat 5. I bet he will have a great time
    racing. Whatever you do, don't pass on the same mindset to him that made
    you quit racing.

    Good Luck!

  4. .o0 0o.

    .o0 0o. Guest

    > Whatever you do, don't pass on the same mindset to him that made
    > you quit racing.

    The mindset that made me quit racing was lack of time for training. I need
    to ride a lot to stay competitive.
    The other reason was not having the means necessary to travel to races. One
    race a year in my hometown would be terribly boring. On the other hand,
    traveling a minimum of 3 hours for a race every weekend was cost
    prohibitive.

    I hope he does race. I hope he has fun. I hope he does well. I just know
    that if I were racing him I would demolish him right now. And I know that
    if I went into a Cat5 race now, *I* would be demolished.

  5. ..o0 0o. wrote:
    > And I forgot to mention this. Two kids and a wife. I would rather
    > spend time with them than go racing. But I still need my weekend
    > rides to stay sane!!

    You sound like you need to take up racng again ;)

    --
    Perre

  6. .o0 0o.

    .o0 0o. Guest

    And I forgot to mention this. Two kids and a wife. I would rather spend
    time with them than go racing. But I still need my weekend rides to stay
    sane!!

    ".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > Whatever you do, don't pass on the same mindset to him that made
    > > you quit racing.

  7. > >
    > You sound like you need to take up racng again ;)
    >
    > --

    I don't agree. If you can't win, you're wasting your time. The day
    Lance can't win, he'll quit too. Why there are all of these hanger on'ers
    is beyond me. These races should only have, maybe 10 riders in them at
    most.

  8. ".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A buddy of mine said he wants to start racing next year. I raced a little
    > when I was 16-20. I never made it out of Cat4. Best finish was 9th when I
    > did a Cat4 race while still a junior. I went on the hammer rides every
    > Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and was able to make a few pulls with the Cat2
    > guys punishing us. Now I ride for fun, exercise and transportation only.
    > Maybe 40-60 mile rides on Sat and Sun. My buddy just started riding last
    > year. I am not in terrible shape but not at all in any condition to race.
    > The thing is, this guy is worse than me! We rode with a small group this
    > past Sunday (about 7 all together) for 20 miles. We were trying to avoid
    > the bad weather that was approaching. We averaged 17mph and this guy fell
    > off the back 3 or 4 times. How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    > serious training if he wants to race?

    Drop him. Let him shoot out the back a few times and leave him.
    Either he gets the message to work harder or give it up. If you can't
    even hang with the Freds, what business have you trying to race?

  9. > Drop him. Let him shoot out the back a few times and leave him.
    > Either he gets the message to work harder or give it up. If you can't
    > even hang with the Freds, what business have you trying to race?

    I would do the opposite. Make like he's doing major damage. Get some of
    those acting skills going, like labored breathing (my favorite), hold your
    breath till your face turns red, or uneven pedaling. Then show up drunk at
    his event, and tell him what you did, right before they start. Capture his
    reaction with a digital camera.

  10. "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > > You sound like you need to take up racng again ;)
    > >
    > > --

    > I don't agree. If you can't win, you're wasting your time. The day
    > Lance can't win, he'll quit too. Why there are all of these hanger on'ers
    > is beyond me. These races should only have, maybe 10 riders in them at
    > most.

    I've finally figured out your identity.

    You're Mark Nusbaum.

    (Inside joke for r.m.r.'ers)

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    > >serious training if he wants to race?

    > After his first race he will understand.

    Seems like you're one of the few who does understand, Alex.

    On the other hand, I've seen women turn up for Cat 5 races and not even be
    able to hang on for a lap. Then the following week ride on the back and
    after two months be riding off the front. You can't tell about people.

  12. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    > > > >
    > > > You sound like you need to take up racng again ;)
    > > >
    > > > --

    > > I don't agree. If you can't win, you're wasting your time. The day
    > > Lance can't win, he'll quit too. Why there are all of these hanger on'ers
    > > is beyond me. These races should only have, maybe 10 riders in them at
    > > most.
    > >

    > I've finally figured out your identity.
    >
    > You're Mark Nusbaum.
    >
    > (Inside joke for r.m.r.'ers)

    Not enough words to be Nusbaum, Carl. Other than that, I think you're
    onto something.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Copper will never be gold"
    Shellac

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  13. "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I've finally figured out your identity.
    > >
    > > You're Mark Nusbaum.
    > >
    > > (Inside joke for r.m.r.'ers)

    > Not enough words to be Nusbaum, Carl. Other than that, I think you're
    > onto something.

    I thought about that after I sent the post.

    Remember, I'm the one who coined the term "ad Nusbaum".

  14. RWM

    RWM Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A buddy of mine said he wants to start racing next year. I raced a

    little
    > > when I was 16-20. I never made it out of Cat4. Best finish was 9th

    when I
    > > did a Cat4 race while still a junior. I went on the hammer rides every
    > > Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and was able to make a few pulls with the

    Cat2
    > > guys punishing us. Now I ride for fun, exercise and transportation

    only.
    > > Maybe 40-60 mile rides on Sat and Sun. My buddy just started riding

    last
    > > year. I am not in terrible shape but not at all in any condition to

    race.
    > > The thing is, this guy is worse than me! We rode with a small group

    this
    > > past Sunday (about 7 all together) for 20 miles. We were trying to

    avoid
    > > the bad weather that was approaching. We averaged 17mph and this guy

    fell
    > > off the back 3 or 4 times. How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    > > serious training if he wants to race?

    > Drop him. Let him shoot out the back a few times and leave him.
    > Either he gets the message to work harder or give it up. If you can't
    > even hang with the Freds, what business have you trying to race?

    Funny, I always thought that Cat 5 was for beginning racers. I didn't know
    that there was a requirement that you had to beat the Freds to have any
    business racing....

  15. [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A buddy of mine said he wants to start racing next year. I raced a little
    > > when I was 16-20. I never made it out of Cat4. Best finish was 9th when I
    > > did a Cat4 race while still a junior. I went on the hammer rides every
    > > Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and was able to make a few pulls with the Cat2
    > > guys punishing us. Now I ride for fun, exercise and transportation only.
    > > Maybe 40-60 mile rides on Sat and Sun. My buddy just started riding last
    > > year. I am not in terrible shape but not at all in any condition to race.
    > > The thing is, this guy is worse than me! We rode with a small group this
    > > past Sunday (about 7 all together) for 20 miles. We were trying to avoid
    > > the bad weather that was approaching. We averaged 17mph and this guy fell
    > > off the back 3 or 4 times. How do I tell him he needs to put in some
    > > serious training if he wants to race?

    > Drop him. Let him shoot out the back a few times and leave him.
    > Either he gets the message to work harder or give it up. If you can't
    > even hang with the Freds, what business have you trying to race?

    Because maybe he thinks it'll be fun? Why not try it? Attracting
    more people to the sport does make it better for the rest of us.

    Tom

  16. "RWM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:qcadnWlZmoJNcyLdRVn-
    [email protected]:

    > Funny, I always thought that Cat 5 was for beginning racers. I didn't know
    > that there was a requirement that you had to beat the Freds to have any
    > business racing....

    I don't think he was trying to say that you have to *beat* the Freds as a
    requirement for Cat. 5s. Really... beat them at what? They don't race.
    I think what he's trying to say is that before his buddy tries racing, he
    should at least not get dropped by the Freds.

    - Boyd S.

  17. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "RWM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:qcadnWlZmoJNcyLdRVn-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > Funny, I always thought that Cat 5 was for beginning racers. I didn't

    know
    > > that there was a requirement that you had to beat the Freds to have any
    > > business racing....

    > I don't think he was trying to say that you have to *beat* the Freds as a
    > requirement for Cat. 5s. Really... beat them at what? They don't race.
    > I think what he's trying to say is that before his buddy tries racing, he
    > should at least not get dropped by the Freds.

    Yeah but some Freds can be pretty good. Picture this: young guy with
    wielertoerist.be shorts, credit lyonnais yellow jersey, trek bike with one
    handlebar end cap missing. Standard Fred kit, right? He won the bunch sprint
    in our Saturday training ride, even beating an unretired Sammy Moreels :)
    Never underestimate the power of a Fred!

    Jeff

  18. .o0 0o.

    .o0 0o. Guest

    I guess it is official. I AM A FRED! Ex-racer turned FRED. Oh well, I can
    live with that.

    > Yeah but some Freds can be pretty good. Picture this: young guy with
    > wielertoerist.be shorts, credit lyonnais yellow jersey, trek bike with one
    > handlebar end cap missing. Standard Fred kit, right? He won the bunch

    sprint
    > in our Saturday training ride, even beating an unretired Sammy Moreels :)
    > Never underestimate the power of a Fred!

  19. .o0 0o.

    .o0 0o. Guest

    I know it will be fun. I have fond memories of all my races. Even the ones
    when Fred's at the start couldn't clip into their pedals and fell over
    knocking me down. I just want him to know that he has a long way to go.

    > Because maybe he thinks it'll be fun? Why not try it? Attracting
    > more people to the sport does make it better for the rest of us.
    >
    > Tom

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >> Whatever you do, don't pass on the same mindset to him that made
    >> you quit racing.

    >The mindset that made me quit racing was lack of time for training. I need
    >to ride a lot to stay competitive.
    >The other reason was not having the means necessary to travel to races. One
    >race a year in my hometown would be terribly boring. On the other hand,
    >traveling a minimum of 3 hours for a race every weekend was cost
    >prohibitive.
    >
    >I hope he does race. I hope he has fun. I hope he does well. I just know
    >that if I were racing him I would demolish him right now. And I know that
    >if I went into a Cat5 race now, *I* would be demolished.

    If he races, you can share rides with him and cut your costs.
    Alex