He wants to start racing

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "RWM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:qcadnWlZmoJNcyLdRVn-
> [email protected]:
>
> > Funny, I always thought that Cat 5 was for beginning racers. I didn't

know
> > that there was a requirement that you had to beat the Freds to have any
> > business racing....

> I don't think he was trying to say that you have to *beat* the Freds as a
> requirement for Cat. 5s. Really... beat them at what? They don't race.
> I think what he's trying to say is that before his buddy tries racing, he
> should at least not get dropped by the Freds.
>
> - Boyd S.

Why?

Cat 5 is for beginners as far as I know there is so minimum speed
requirement. There was a guy over 300 lbs, and in his 50's, at a crit last
Sunday. He only lasted five laps but had a blast. After the race he said
that entering races gives him the motivation to keep training.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<D%[email protected]>...
> "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >How do I tell him he needs to put in some
> > >serious training if he wants to race?

> > After his first race he will understand.

> Seems like you're one of the few who does understand, Alex.
>
> On the other hand, I've seen women turn up for Cat 5 races and not even be
> able to hang on for a lap. Then the following week ride on the back and

LAP ONE of the women's S.F. GP:

http://www.kenpapai.com/racing/sf2003/women/last0602.jpg

> after two months be riding off the front. You can't tell about people.

-Ken

How about just telling him? How hard can that be. If he is honest with
himself, he already knows that he needs to put in the training. If he
just wants to go out and have some fun, that's ok too.

".o0 0o." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

How do I tell him he needs to put in some
> serious training if he wants to race?

Now that's a real crappy attitude to have. I guess you don't do
anything you can't win at? Which means things must be pretty boring
for you. Not everyone who races wants to be Pro.

"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I don't agree. If you can't win, you're wasting your time. The day
> Lance can't win, he'll quit too. Why there are all of these hanger on'ers
> is beyond me. These races should only have, maybe 10 riders in them at
> most.

"K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<D%[email protected]>...

> > On the other hand, I've seen women turn up for Cat 5 races and not even

be
> > able to hang on for a lap. Then the following week ride on the back and

> LAP ONE of the women's S.F. GP:
>
> http://www.kenpapai.com/racing/sf2003/women/last0602.jpg

But there were a couple of other pretty porky women in that race who were
climbing the hill every lap.

"RWM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Cat 5 is for beginners as far as I know there is so minimum speed
> requirement. There was a guy over 300 lbs, and in his 50's, at a crit

last
> Sunday. He only lasted five laps but had a blast. After the race he said
> that entering races gives him the motivation to keep training.

In my first Master's race there was this guy who was in his mid-50's and
pretty fat. Not overweight, mind you, but FAT. Thinks I to myself, "If I
can't stay with the pack I'll fall back and ride with him."

The race started and for 17 of the 20 laps that guy led the field and closed
all of the breakaways down. On the last three laps there were two other
really strong young guys that managed to pull ahead of him by about 10 feet
and he held it at that but they still outsprinted him. One of those guys
sprinting was George Mount.

As Jeff said, never underestimate the power of a Fred.

"RWM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:qIKdnfUjosmJMV3dRVn-
[email protected]:

> Why?
>
> Cat 5 is for beginners as far as I know there is so minimum speed
> requirement. There was a guy over 300 lbs, and in his 50's, at a crit last
> Sunday. He only lasted five laps but had a blast. After the race he said
> that entering races gives him the motivation to keep training.

Getting dropped by Freds on a training ride is cheaper motivation than
wasting $30+ to get dropped in a race.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> In my first Master's race there was this guy who was in his mid-50's
> and pretty fat. Not overweight, mind you, but FAT.

I cannot comprehend this. If you're fat you're overweight. If you're
overweight you're fat. If you are not overweight you are not fat.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
>>In my first Master's race there was this guy who was in his mid-50's
>>and pretty fat. Not overweight, mind you, but FAT.

> I cannot comprehend this. If you're fat you're overweight. If you're
> overweight you're fat. If you are not overweight you are not fat.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Per... see, it works like this, you have to be an american to not
perceive Dunlaps Disease as 'overweight'. People refer to fat in all
sorts of ways to comfort themselves and believe they are fine the way
they are and it's other, much larger people, who are fat. It's a bit
like denial, but is part of the american psyche. Now if you'll excuse
me I need to call the Pentagon .. what country is yours, BTW?

Richard Adams wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>
>> Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>>> In my first Master's race there was this guy who was in his mid-50's
>>> and pretty fat. Not overweight, mind you, but FAT.

>> I cannot comprehend this. If you're fat you're overweight. If you're
>> overweight you're fat. If you are not overweight you are not fat.
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
>>

> Per... see, it works like this, you have to be an american to not
> perceive Dunlaps Disease as 'overweight'. People refer to fat in all
> sorts of ways to comfort themselves and believe they are fine the way
> they are and it's other, much larger people, who are fat. It's a bit
> like denial, but is part of the american psyche. Now if you'll excuse
> me I need to call the Pentagon .. what country is yours, BTW?

Norway ;)
--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> Richard Adams wrote:
>
>>Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>>I cannot comprehend this. If you're fat you're overweight. If you're
>>>overweight you're fat. If you are not overweight you are not fat.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Perre
>>>
>>>You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
>>>

>>Per... see, it works like this, you have to be an american to not
>>perceive Dunlaps Disease as 'overweight'. People refer to fat in all
>>sorts of ways to comfort themselves and believe they are fine the way
>>they are and it's other, much larger people, who are fat. It's a bit
>>like denial, but is part of the american psyche. Now if you'll excuse
>>me I need to call the Pentagon .. what country is yours, BTW?

> Norway ;)

Un oh--NATO! Fat is actually against the law in Norway, isn't it?

Steve
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>
>> Richard Adams wrote:

>>> Per... see, it works like this, you have to be an american to not
>>> perceive Dunlaps Disease as 'overweight'. People refer to fat in
>>> all sorts of ways to comfort themselves and believe they are fine
>>> the way they are and it's other, much larger people, who are fat.
>>> It's a bit like denial, but is part of the american psyche. Now if
>>> you'll excuse me I need to call the Pentagon .. what country is
>>> yours, BTW?

>> Norway ;)

> Un oh--NATO! Fat is actually against the law in Norway, isn't it?

Absolutely, unless from Cod of course. Bomb away, what are you waiting for.

--
Perre
Hehe Sweden has been waiting since 1906 to get back at the Norwegians.

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> Absolutely, unless from Cod of course. Bomb away, what are you waiting for.
>
> --

In Cod we trust!

> Perre
> Hehe Sweden has been waiting since 1906 to get back at the Norwegians.

Oh, man! What happened in 1906--I don't wanna crack open my history book!
I had a Norwegian professor in dental school--I gotta tell you, jokes
are funnier with a Norwegian accent.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>

>> Absolutely, unless from Cod of course. Bomb away, what are you
>> waiting for.
>>
>> --

> In Cod we trust!
>
>> Perre
>> Hehe Sweden has been waiting since 1906 to get back at the
>> Norwegians.

> Oh, man! What happened in 1906--I don't wanna crack open my history
> book! I had a Norwegian professor in dental school--I gotta tell you,
> jokes
> are funnier with a Norwegian accent.
>
> Steve

Them damn norwegians stole their own country back right from under our nose.
And we'd won it in an honest competition of arms too.
To get us back on topic this is of enormous consequense for us cyclists
today since the only decent hillclims around are on the norwegian side of
the border. Just imagine, next weekend I have to travel to a foreign country
just to attend a two stage hillclimb tour. They have a truly beautiful
country and I am definitely jealous
http://www.telemark-tours.no/telemark-tours/index_eng.htm

--
Perre
Or as honest as those kinda meets ever got

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
>
>>Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>>Norway ;)

>>Un oh--NATO! Fat is actually against the law in Norway, isn't it?
>>

> Absolutely, unless from Cod of course. Bomb away, what are you waiting for.
>
> --
> Perre
> Hehe Sweden has been waiting since 1906 to get back at the Norwegians.

Just to be on the safe side, all your Cod have been replaced by GMO Carp.

All your cod are belong to us.

Richard Adams wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

>>> Un oh--NATO! Fat is actually against the law in Norway, isn't it?
>>>

>> Absolutely, unless from Cod of course. Bomb away, what are you
>> waiting for.
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>> Hehe Sweden has been waiting since 1906 to get back at the
>> Norwegians.
>>

> Just to be on the safe side, all your Cod have been replaced by GMO
> Carp.
>
> All your cod are belong to us.

Perfect. That'll take care of them norwegians ;)
--
Perre
Hehehe

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Richard Adams wrote:
>>Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>>Absolutely, unless from Cod of course. Bomb away, what are you
>>>waiting for.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Perre
>>>Hehe Sweden has been waiting since 1906 to get back at the
>>>Norwegians.

>>Just to be on the safe side, all your Cod have been replaced by GMO
>>Carp.
>>
>>All your cod are belong to us.

> Perfect. That'll take care of them norwegians ;)

An them finish an them sweegians too.

Richard Adams wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> Richard Adams wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to be on the safe side, all your Cod have been replaced by GMO
>>> Carp.
>>>
>>> All your cod are belong to us.

>> Perfect. That'll take care of them norwegians ;)

> An them finish an them sweegians too.

No way. Our Cod in the Baltic sea has been a rarity for so long now that
we've gotten used to eating other fish. Salmon today is much cheaper than
Cod for instance.
I also hear that Salmon will get you a higher hemo count. Of course we'd
have to present the UCI with a waiver that we eat salmon 6 times a week.
--
Perre

Richard Adams wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> Richard Adams wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to be on the safe side, all your Cod have been replaced by GMO
>>> Carp.
>>>
>>> All your cod are belong to us.

>> Perfect. That'll take care of them norwegians ;)

> An them finish an them sweegians too.

No way. Our Cod in the Baltic sea has been a rarity for so long now that
we've gotten used to eating other fish. Salmon today is much cheaper than
Cod for instance.
I also hear that Salmon will get you a higher hemo count. Of course we'd
have to present the UCI with a waiver that we eat salmon 6 times a week.
--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > In my first Master's race there was this guy who was in his mid-50's
> > and pretty fat. Not overweight, mind you, but FAT.

> I cannot comprehend this. If you're fat you're overweight. If you're
> overweight you're fat. If you are not overweight you are not fat.

Perre, it is a matter of amount. You can be overweight without being
technically fat. This guy was about 5'10" and maybe 260 lbs. (That's 1.77 m
and 118 kg).