Head banging, a warning

Stainlesssteelr

Guest
I thought I'd relate a recent experience. This is not a pro or anti helmet post, but might prove
food for thought.

I have never been a helmet wearer, and do a mixture of on and off-road cycling. I was cycling
through my local forest a couple of weeks back on a trail that I have cycled for over 3 years. For
some reason I lost control of the bike, going over a tree root I think, and shot forward over the
handle bars. I stopped, mainly because I was in cleats, took the handlebars in the chest and the
bike collapsed to the floor in some fashion (I'm guessing it went forward and to the left). I must
have taken a serious blow to the left side of my head as I was knocked unconscious. I woke up
probably seconds later with my left foot still in the cleat and mashed up hands, left arm and leg. I
decided to stay there for a few minutes until the world stopped spinning. I eventually disentangled
myself from the bike and sat on a conveniently located tree stump.

I must have collapsed again because the next thing I knew I was lying on the ground. I suspect I may
have even partially swallowed my tongue as I had vague memories of choking (I have had a petit mal
fit before, so remember what this is like). Now there was no-one around, so if I had fully swallowed
my tongue I suspect I wouldn't be here posting this today.

Suffice to say I have bought a helmet and will wear it on all future rides.

I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle regularly, particularly those that go
off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-) Not being preachy, but I would hate to see
anyone else suffer what I did.

--
StainlessSteelRat "What do you call assassins who accuse assassins?" -- Kurtz, Apocalypse Now

Last time I off roaded I crashed, landed face first, my helmet took some of the impact, the picture
at http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mseries/MNUglyMug.jpg shows my face after I clean myself up a little
with a hanky and stream water. I no longer ride off road now, as 30 cm either side and my head would
have hit solid rock instead of mud.

news:[email protected]...

StainlessSteelRat wrote:
> I have never been a helmet wearer, and do a mixture of on and off-road cycling. I was cycling
> through my local forest a couple of weeks back on a trail that I have cycled for over 3 years. For
> some reason I lost control of the bike, going over a tree root I think, and shot forward over the
> handle bars. I stopped, mainly because I was in cleats, took the handlebars in the chest and the
> bike collapsed to the floor in some fashion (I'm guessing it went forward and to the left). I must
> have taken a serious blow to the left side of my head as I was knocked unconscious. I woke up
> probably seconds later with my left foot still in the cleat and mashed up hands, left arm and leg.
> I decided to stay there for a few minutes until the world stopped spinning. I eventually
> disentangled myself from the bike and sat on a conveniently located tree stump.
>
> I must have collapsed again because the next thing I knew I was lying on the ground. I suspect I
> may have even partially swallowed my tongue as I had vague memories of choking (I have had a petit
> mal fit before, so remember what this is like). Now there was no-one around, so if I had fully
> swallowed my tongue I suspect I wouldn't be here posting this today.
>
> Suffice to say I have bought a helmet and will wear it on all future rides.
>
> I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle regularly, particularly those that
> go off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-) Not being preachy, but I would hate
> to see anyone else suffer what I did.

Ouch is all I can really say. I wont comment further what with not wanting to spark off a Massive
Helmet Debate! :eek:)

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

"StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle regularly, particularly those that
> go off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-)

I think that most people who do much off-road riding think that wearing a helmet is generally
sensible. Mind you, the need for one would depend on how serious the off-roading is, and how likely
one is to fall. As it happens, I've not hit my head in an off-road crash, but I've certainly come
off plenty of times!

James

M Series wrote:
> Last time I off roaded I crashed, landed face first, my helmet took some of the impact, the
> picture at http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mseries/MNUglyMug.jpg shows my face after I clean myself up a
> little with a hanky and stream water.

>I no longer ride off road now, as 30 cm either side and my head would have hit solid rock
>instead of
mud.

Does this mean you dont ride on that route anymore or that you will never, ever, ever ride offroad
again. Surely you cant mean the latter. You took a fall, you survived, your pic shows you smiling
(or grimacing) you are well equipped, you have the youthfull strength, and the interest in getting
out there and riding.

Are you really the sort of person to chuck in the towel after a brief hiccup? Please say it
aint so Mike

Ibought a helmet because I ride off road. Although I've had more spills on the road than off it!

Robin. "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle
regularly,
> > particularly those that go off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-)
>
> I think that most people who do much off-road riding think that wearing a helmet is generally
> sensible. Mind you, the need for one would depend on how serious the off-roading is, and how
> likely one is to fall. As it happens, I've not hit my head in an off-road crash, but I've
> certainly come off plenty of times!
>
> James

[email protected] (James Annan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle regularly, particularly those
> > that go off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-)
>
> I think that most people who do much off-road riding think that wearing a helmet is generally
> sensible. Mind you, the need for one would depend on how serious the off-roading is, and how
> likely one is to fall. As it happens, I've not hit my head in an off-road crash, but I've
> certainly come off plenty of times!
>
> James

I've only come off really nastily once - last Autumn down one of the fire tracks in Coed-y-Brenin. I
was travelling at about 25mph when I somehow lost my grip of the handlebars, and couldn't get hold
of them again. :-(

Needless to say it hurt - but the helmet took a fair bit of the impact, and had a nice crack running
down the left hand side - first point if contact - dread to think what would have happened if I
hadn't been wearing it.

I've come off a fair few times over the years (mostly on road) - during most of which the
helmet made absolutely no difference - but it was there for me this time. (Again - not trying
to be preachy!)

Best bit was sitting oozing outside the hospital waiting for a lift back home, and trying to
convince the kids who came to have a look to wear a helmet!

Leigh.
------

I finished the ride, it was the Redbull & Karrimor trails in Wales, I crashed again that day as it
happens. I haven't MTB'd since and have sold the bike. I took it as a warning as I could so easily
have been seriously injured, there were rocks marking the trail and I missed all of them through
good luck rather than management. I wouldn't say I will never off road again and I didn't make the
discussion there and then but I haven't done so since that day a few years ago. I have done many
thousands of miles on road since then and always considered myself a roadie first and foremost.

"Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]

the
> ground. I suspect I may have even partially swallowed my tongue as I had vague memories of choking
> (I have had a petit mal fit before, so remember what this is like). Now there was no-one around,
> so if I had fully
swallowed
> my tongue I suspect I wouldn't be here posting this today.
>
> Suffice to say I have bought a helmet and will wear it on all future
rides.

> I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle regularly, particularly those that
> go off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-) Not being preachy, but I would hate
> to see anyone else suffer what I did.
>
> --
> StainlessSteelRat "What do you call assassins who accuse assassins?" -- Kurtz, Apocalypse Now

Glad to see / hear you survived ok..... I've just got back from the Karrimor trail, where I spent
the day with my son. We've ridden there several times over the last few years and always have a
really enjoyable, trouble free ride......until today that is. I'm still trying to get used to my
full susser on singletrack. I used to manage the trails on my front suss muddy fox but find the
approach on a full suss takes some getting used to ;-).... I only managed one serious wipeout today.
managed to avoid head banging but slashed my knee about half way round (the course, not the knee!).
Due to constant flexing of the knee, plenty blood was forthcoming, leading to much sympathy and tlc
on return home. I also managed to break my chain for the first time ever. Had to remove a couple of
links to get it fixed, seems alright now though. As a follow on from the OP, my son told me of an
interesting meeting that he and his friends recently had with a spazzo (not my terminology!!) at the
local bike shop. Apparently, this young man is now in a wheelchair and not communicating with this
world in the normal fashion. His 'buzz' is obtained by defecating in his pants in public and
enjoying the feel of it with his hands. Apparently he used to be a great downhill cyclist but was
not impressed with the idea of helmet use. Although it obviously can't be proven, it is stated that
a helmet would've saved this lad from the state he is in now, or at least might have...... All of my
son's friends, even the hardened anti-helmet ones now wear helmets following meeting this
individual. I've no doubt there will be individuals on this ng who think that either the helmet
could've made the situation worse (duh, like what, death ??) and those who will insist that a helmet
would've made no difference. Personally, I would not like to try the experiment to prove them wrong
(or right ;-) I am pleased that my son uses a helmet. He does downhill, jumps and all the other fun,
dangerous stuff associated with cycling. As a parent I have my heart in my mouth when I see him
partaking of the various disciplines, but, he is good and gets a great deal of pleasure out of them.
He has got through 5 helmets since he started 3 years ago. There is the potential that each one of
those helmets destroyed in accidents could've been his head, but hey, even 1 in 5 would've been
enough to make me a very sad parent indeed..... This is just my story and not an attempt to dictate
that helmet wearing should be compulsory by any means. If you don't wish to wear a helmet, be my
guest and enjoy life to the full ;-) Dave.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought it might prove food for thought for those that cycle regularly, particularly those that
> go off-road and think that they might be immune, like me ;-) Not being preachy, but I would hate
> to see anyone else suffer what I did.

Good thing you weren't wearing something likely to catch on a root and break your neck and/or
spinal cord.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)