head set cup removal

Bentbiker

Guest
could someone advise to the proper method of removing headset cups? I thought I read before that you
take them upwards on the bottom of the lip with a screw driver and hammer. TIA

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in news:3F399B7D.8020208 @accesstoledo.com:

> could someone advise to the proper method of removing headset cups? I thought I read before that
> you take them upwards on the bottom of the lip with a screw driver and hammer. TIA

I don't know about "proper" but the most effective method I know involves hitting around the cup
with a hammer for a bit, then use a punch or old screwdriver to work them from the inside by hitting
the inner edge of the lip from the other side.

-Bill Hamilton

bentbiker wrote:

> could someone advise to the proper method of removing headset cups? I thought I read before that
> you take them upwards on the bottom of the lip with a screw driver and hammer. TIA

The correct way is to use the correct tool, e.g. http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml

The screwdriver and hammer method will work, but at the risk of damaging the frame.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com