Head to head 2005 Campi Rec vs Dur-ace

little_chicken

Apr 13, 2004
OK .. this thread may not be very original but I am currently in the market for a new groupo. I have been using the Campi Rec 8 spd 95 for the past 9 yrs and will be building a second bike for my pleasure .. this is pure indulgence. Ti frame made in Europe, mavic ksyrium ssc sl, thomspon set post, CK headset, etc...

I have been reading a lot, maybe too many tech reviews on both groups and would appreciate some real experience, about both groupo (usability, servicability, resilience, performance) .. I would be loyal to Campi but I hate the extent use of CF thay have made, I find that it has been done to the expense of durability .. I find the 7800 crank design far superior and would prevent me of getting Campi and putting a FSA or Stronglight crabk ..

Any comments ..

little_chicken said:
OK .. this thread may not be very original but I am currently in the market for a new groupo. I have been using the Campi Rec 8 spd 95 for the past 9 yrs and will be building a second bike for my pleasure .. this is pure indulgence. Ti frame made in Europe, mavic ksyrium ssc sl, thomspon set post, CK headset, etc...

I have been reading a lot, maybe too many tech reviews on both groups and would appreciate some real experience, about both groupo (usability, servicability, resilience, performance) .. I would be loyal to Campi but I hate the extent use of CF thay have made, I find that it has been done to the expense of durability .. I find the 7800 crank design far superior and would prevent me of getting Campi and putting a FSA or Stronglight crabk ..

Any comments ..

You could read this thread, and several others just use the search option. :rolleyes:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t80416-record-vs-da-10-a-sensible-discussion.html

little_chicken said:

Any comments ..
Why don't you be a real rebel and use a DA crank with the rest capmy? Drop down to Cantaur if CF makes you queasy, but also consider the loss of poseur' points......LOL

little_chicken said:

Any comments ..

Actually I consider the 7800 crank design to be the Achiles heel of the new DA groupo. Despite its much ballyhooed hype, the single axle/crank assembly is a poorly thought-through design.

see:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t193336-dura-ace-7800-axle-and-bearings-maintenance.html

for just one issue.
Besides the Campy design of having the crank arm as on leg of the spider is neater anyways (even if I do ride Shimano).

In any event choose an option, if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands for free and you can get the other. :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
Why don't you be a real rebel and use a DA crank with the rest capmy? Drop down to Cantaur if CF makes you queasy, but also consider the loss of poseur' points......LOL

fyi : I have read the other threads ..

Poseur points : could care less.. I am buying my dream bike for one person only ..me ..

Since you are bring up hybrid groups, what would be your dream choice.. seriously ..

little_chicken said:

Any comments ..
Don't understand your comment about durability. CF is stronger per unit weight than aluminium and doesn't fatigue like aluminium. It's obviously not an MTB so what is the problem?

Knowing a lot of people who race on Dura Ace there have been huge numbers of complaints about it's driveline durability, chains breaking before their time, heavy wear.

If you don't like the carbon cage why not save some money and get Chorus instead?

I have to admit that I wouldn't get Record, but that would be because I can't afford it anymore.

tafi said:
Don't understand your comment about durability. CF is stronger per unit weight than aluminium and doesn't fatigue like aluminium. It's obviously not an MTB so what is the problem?

Knowing a lot of people who race on Dura Ace there have been huge numbers of complaints about it's driveline durability, chains breaking before their time, heavy wear.

If you don't like the carbon cage why not save some money and get Chorus instead?

I have to admit that I wouldn't get Record, but that would be because I can't afford it anymore.

I just can't stand the hype around CF. Although it may have superior mechanical prop. it is not as scratch-impact- resistant as other alloys can be.. I am building a frame for 8-10 yrs and am going with TI tubes especially for that reason. Cost.. Its not my 1st priority since it will be absorbed on a long period, I have decided to threat myself ..

tafi said:

Chorus now has CF. It's that pesky trickle down sheot.

Slider77 said:
Actually I consider the 7800 crank design to be the Achiles heel of the new DA groupo. Despite its much ballyhooed hype, the single axle/crank assembly is a poorly thought-through design.

see:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t193336-dura-ace-7800-axle-and-bearings-maintenance.html

for just one issue.
Besides the Campy design of having the crank arm as on leg of the spider is neater anyways (even if I do ride Shimano).

In any event choose an option, if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands for free and you can get the other. :rolleyes:
What does that lame thread have to do with anything?