Headache after a ride?

TrekMan07

Aug 22, 2007
i rode to day and i got back and was hydrated during the ride and after returning i have a headache...still drank water after i returned....it i now 10pm and i returned at 3:30 what is wrong?

TrekMan07 said:
i rode to day and i got back and was hydrated during the ride and after returning i have a headache...still drank water after i returned....it i now 10pm and i returned at 3:30 what is wrong?
Bit of sunstroke perhaps?
Did you weigh yourself before and after to see if you took onboard enough fluid?

Alex Simmons said:
Bit of sunstroke perhaps?
Did you weigh yourself before and after to see if you took onboard enough fluid?
If you pushed yourself hard, then I don't think a headache is unusual. When I first started getting back into shape, I would get headaches following my rides. They went away by morning.

Strumpetto said:
If you pushed yourself hard, then I don't think a headache is unusual. When I first started getting back into shape, I would get headaches following my rides. They went away by morning.
No I did not check my weight before and after i dont own a scale. but yah i am trying to back into shape...i kinda did push myslef a little hard today...
what is the rigth amount of water to consume?

Somewhere around 14-18 fl oz. is the generic answer to how much you should consume, but it varies greatly with temperature, intensity, and so forth. I'm well beyond the point of "getting back into shape", and still get headaches. sometimes they last well into the next day, not like migranes or anything, but you can tell it's there. Those are the days after the hard as hell rides. My friend is a runner and says he gets them after hard days too. Maybe we're about to blow a brain valve, I don't know.

Bikeridindude said:
Somewhere around 14-18 fl oz. is the generic answer to how much you should consume, but it varies greatly with temperature, intensity, and so forth. I'm well beyond the point of "getting back into shape", and still get headaches. sometimes they last well into the next day, not like migranes or anything, but you can tell it's there. Those are the days after the hard as hell rides. My friend is a runner and says he gets them after hard days too. Maybe we're about to blow a brain valve, I don't know.
well that could be very interesting and at the same time really really bad...so i guess i just need to ride on a normal basis i have off the bike cuz of trying to get into a collage and now i have the time to ride like i used to so maybe after my body gets used to it agian the will subside....so how many mile would be good to work toward and what a good average speed i should shoot for, also is techno music good to listen to during training? or would music be to much a hazard?

Your brain runs on sugar try mixing honey in your water bottle and don't forget to get alot of sugar and carbs within the first 1/2 hour after a ride if you plan on doing consecutive day training or events.

TrekMan07 said:

wiredued said:
Your brain runs on sugar try mixing honey in your water bottle and don't forget to get alot of sugar and carbs within the first 1/2 hour after a ride if you plan on doing consecutive day training or events.

Hey i used to get those headaches and found out that you can drink all the water you want and still end up with the aches.I read alot of stuff about this and found out that when ever your body carbs and sugar level are very low this happens. What i started doing was eating more and using gels for rides over 1.5 hrs.Try this it worked for me.

I used to get headaches after hard rides in hot and humid weather. The solution turned out to be salt. I put a big pinch of salt in my ride brew and, voila! No more headaches. I eat more salty foods in the summer as well. Sometimes I'll feel dizzy in the same conditions and magnesium usually clears that up. I'm one of those salty sweaters that you see with salt caked all over their faces, arms and shorts. Dogs think I'm a salt lick.

Animator said:
I used to get headaches after hard rides in hot and humid weather. The solution turned out to be salt. I put a big pinch of salt in my ride brew and, voila! No more headaches. I eat more salty foods in the summer as well. Sometimes I'll feel dizzy in the same conditions and magnesium usually clears that up. I'm one of those salty sweaters that you see with salt caked all over their faces, arms and shorts. Dogs think I'm a salt lick.
Well thanks guys i will try the suger after rides and i am looking to find a group or better a team to ride for here....but i do alot of Flatland riding are teams needing riders like me?

Re the headaches...it used to happen to me as well when I went on longer rides.

I eventually switched away from pure water to an energy drink that contains electrolytes and carbs. The stuff I use is called e-Load (check out their website if you like). My headaches stopped when I switched.

There are many other similar drinks on the market.

The answer is most likely hydration and/or glucose related. There is no reason to increase sodium intake to combat headaches.

No matter what age or physical condition you are, no one should increase sodium intake unless you are specifically treating hypotension (low BP). For healthy adults, salt is the enemy to a long life. If you have a high sodium diet you will have white marks with your sweat but that is the body's way of rejecting what is essentially a poison. 2000mg/day is the upper limit of sodium intake recommended by the WHO. Most western diets have far too much salt as it is.

If you want to try something different, have a coffee/other caffine drink immediately after your ride. The effect on HR is negligable for most healthy adults. The positive effect is that caffine is a vasodilator and it will help with the blood flow to your brain.

Good luck.

QikSmurf said:
The answer is most likely hydration and/or glucose related. There is no reason to increase sodium intake to combat headaches.
Unless it actually relieves your headaches, like it does in my case. :) Salt is a very important mineral that your body (well, mine, anyways) needs for regulation of water among other things. If you sweat it out, you need to replace it. It's really quite simple.

I would agree on exertion headache, and the salt thing. I can get these quite easily, but have found that If I use camelbak elixir in the bladder it has greatly improved this. I generally do not get headaches unless I go wayyy overboard. I also believe the elixir tablets help me during the ride.