headache

Cobus

Guest
My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

Cobus wrote:
> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
> after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

Probably not, especially if she's drinking some sort of rehydration solution during her rides. Other
things to consider:

Muscle tension, from looking up while leaning forward (I'm assuming she doesn't have a 'bent) can
cause a headache, as well as neck and shoulder pain. A tendency to clench one's teeth while going
through technical sections can be a problem, too. Check the fit of the bike. A different stem an/or
riser bars can make a world of difference. Consider a lighter helmet if she's got some sort of
older, heavier model. Make a conscious effort to loosen neck muscles with some stretches (neck
rolls, etc.) during breaks, and try to remember not to grit your teeth through the scary sections
(easier said than done).

Squinting from bright sunlight can also cause headaches. Does she wear shades when she rides?

Allergies can cause headaches, especially when ingested in bulk quantities through the great gulps
of air that cyclists inhale. Does she have any other symptoms? Itchy eyes, snotty nose, sore throat,
itchy soft palate? If she thinks this might be part of the problem, she should try taking an
antihistamine an hour before riding.

Kathleen

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 05:45:22 -0800, Cobus wrote:

> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
> after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

Helmet too tight? I had that problem with my kayaking helmet.

OTOH, I usually take in a lot more salt than seems reasonable after riding, even if I've been
drinking Ratorgade like a fish, but it's never given me a headache. A large bowl of heavily salted
and cheesed popcorn does the trick pour moi.

gabrielle

"gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 05:45:22 -0800, Cobus wrote:
>
> > My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
> > takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels
> > better after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks
>
> Helmet too tight? I had that problem with my kayaking helmet.
>
> OTOH, I usually take in a lot more salt than seems reasonable after
riding,
> even if I've been drinking Ratorgade like a fish, but it's never given me a headache. A large bowl
> of heavily salted and cheesed popcorn does the trick pour moi.

Damn -- a woman who rides AND loves popcorn! Sigh...

Bill "still seeking indigenous rare species locally" S.

PS: I agree about the helmet thing -- check for tight spots, especially near temples. (Sometimes
one's sunglasses can cause pressure points, too.)

Cobus wrote:
> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
> after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

helmet too heavy?

p.

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:01:27 -0800, Sorni wrote:

> Damn -- a woman who rides AND loves popcorn! Sigh...

Food of the gods! My sister bought me a truly excellent Xmess present: a sampler of different
"gourmet" popcorns from this place: http://www.crownjewelgourmet.com/

"Popcorn, it isn't just for breakfast anymore."

gabrielle

"gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:01:27 -0800, Sorni wrote:
>
> > Damn -- a woman who rides AND loves popcorn! Sigh...
>
> Food of the gods! My sister bought me a truly excellent Xmess present: a sampler of different
> "gourmet" popcorns from this place: http://www.crownjewelgourmet.com/
>
> "Popcorn, it isn't just for breakfast anymore."

Should I post the marriage proposal here or send private?

Bill "proprietary butter/margarine blend topped off with dried parmesan cheese" S.

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 07:22:32 -0800, Sorni wrote:

> Should I post the marriage proposal here or send private?

Sorry, you're a bit late. :)

> Bill "proprietary butter/margarine blend topped off with dried parmesan cheese" S.

_Dried_ parmesan cheese? Eeeew. Dude, spring for the real stuff from an Eye-talian deli and grate it
yourself just before munch time. Trust me, it's worth the extra time & expense.

gabrielle

"gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 07:22:32 -0800, Sorni wrote:

{heartbreak snipped}

> > Bill "proprietary butter/margarine blend topped off with dried parmesan cheese" S.
>
> _Dried_ parmesan cheese? Eeeew. Dude, spring for the real stuff from an Eye-talian deli and grate
> it yourself just before munch time. Trust me, it's worth the extra time & expense.

You're talking to someone who considers making a sandwich "cooking". (Therefore I never buy bread.)

I just get the big ol' jug of P-chez from Costco. "If it ain't got preservatives, chances are I
ain't got it."

Bill "gives new meaning to the term 'helpless bachelor' in MANY life facets"
S.

PS: Who ya callin' "Dude", Dudette?!? :)

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Under pressure said the great white duke.
>
> ???

David Bowie, aka 'The Great White Duke' amongst other things. 'Under Pressure' - a DB/FM duet.

> > Fire up MTB 03
>
> Whatcha been firin' up there, Craze? :)
>
> Bill "again I ask, ???" S.

I still don't know why some people insist on posting without refs. or quotes - bugs me intensely.

Shaun aRe

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 07:22:32 -0800, Sorni wrote:
> >
> {heartbreak snipped}
>
> > > Bill "proprietary butter/margarine blend topped off with dried
parmesan
> > > cheese" S.
> >
> > _Dried_ parmesan cheese? Eeeew. Dude, spring for the real stuff from
an
> > Eye-talian deli and grate it yourself just before munch time. Trust me, it's worth the extra
> > time & expense.
>
> You're talking to someone who considers making a sandwich "cooking". (Therefore I never
> buy bread.)

So sad......

Dessicated puke - that **** cannot be called 'parmesan' by any sane person.

> Bill "gives new meaning to the term 'helpless bachelor' in MANY life
facets"
> S.
>
> PS: Who ya callin' "Dude", Dudette?!? :)

Everyone knows 'dudes' are the only ones who can only make junk food.

Shaun aRe