headache

Cobus

Guest
My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

Cobus wrote:
> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
> after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

More likely blood sugar. I always got headaches after a ride in the early season. Aerobic
fitness allows you to burn more fat, so (at least theoretically) your muscle glycogen is
depleted more slowly. Truth is, after a couple of hours of heavy effort, most of your
glycogen is gone. Learning to eat periodically on a ride (or use a carbohydrate replacement
drink, such as maltodextrin) should help. OTOH, maybe she's a complainer, like me! ;-)

Steve

>> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
>> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels
>> better after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

Does she drink a lot of coffee or caffeinated beverages on the days she doesn't ride?

If she is accustomed to lots of caffeine and does NOT get it when she rides, her headaches could be
caused by that.

"Cobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
> after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

I get that problem from time to time from not keeping hydrated.