headache

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Cobus, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Cobus

    Cobus Guest

    My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
    takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
    after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Cobus wrote:
    > My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
    > takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
    > after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

    More likely blood sugar. I always got headaches after a ride in the early season. Aerobic
    fitness allows you to burn more fat, so (at least theoretically) your muscle glycogen is
    depleted more slowly. Truth is, after a couple of hours of heavy effort, most of your
    glycogen is gone. Learning to eat periodically on a ride (or use a carbohydrate replacement
    drink, such as maltodextrin) should help. OTOH, maybe she's a complainer, like me! ;-)

    Steve

  3. Whowhere?

    Whowhere? Guest

    >> My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
    >> takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels
    >> better after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

    Does she drink a lot of coffee or caffeinated beverages on the days she doesn't ride?

    If she is accustomed to lots of caffeine and does NOT get it when she rides, her headaches could be
    caused by that.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Cobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My sister in law is not a bad cyclist but is always complaining of a headache after a ride. She
    > takes enough isotonic fluid during the ride, I dont think is is over/dehydration. She feels better
    > after eating chips, do you think it is something to do with sodium in her blood? Thanks

    I get that problem from time to time from not keeping hydrated.