Headaches while riding, suggestions as to why?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by origanic, Mar 16, 2010.

1. origanic

origanic New Member

Every time I ride, without fail I get a headache. It tends to be focused around the front and sides of my head.

At first I thought it was my helmet, but I'm starting to think it is due to not breathing properly. I know it is not due to dehydration in my case, because I am well watered-up.

This has been going on years, I've just never taken the time to ask why.

Any other suggestions or tips to stop these headaches from happening?

Tags:

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

My first thought would be dehydration, but you seem to have ruled that out. Could it possibly be tension headaches? If you aren't relaxing your neck and shoulder muscles when riding, this could cause headaches.

3. Tapeworm

Tapeworm New Member

Well hydration is a tricky thing, but if that ain't the problem then I would look to a position/postural issue. Have you had a professional fit?

4. Wlfdg

Wlfdg New Member

How's your vision? Have you had your eyes checked?

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Helmet too tight
    Blood pressure
    Blood chemistry
    Sinuses
    Myofasical pain disorder etc.

Could be a lot things and after eliminating the simple ones I would see a physicain if the pain persists.

6. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Does it happen when you do other intense exercise, or only when you cycle?

7. Old n' Lazy

Old n' Lazy New Member

Some cycling caps give me a headache even if they don't feel tight. Also certain brands of sunglasses give me a headache too. I had to ditch my fancy Oakleys for a pair of $20 glasses and my headaches went away.

8. decca234uk

decca234uk New Member

I'd check your cycling position if it only happens on the bike. If your seat is not positioned right you will strain your neck to compensate. you can do this without realising it until it shows up in headaches etc. it's always worth checking your cycling position.

9. robbielg

robbielg New Member

do you have allergies by any chance ? . I have allergies and asthma, and rhinitis . I get my headache from the middle to end of the ride., its always at my left temple and forehead like a migraine and can get quite painful, and it numbs my other senses. When i actively treat my rhinitis and asthma, i get the headaches less often and less severe.

Cold medications can help but be careful with those that make you drowsy and unsafe on the street.

when i do have the headaches, adjusting the helmet for a loose fit relieves some of the pain.

10. JoseeS

JoseeS New Member

I experienced a massive headache a couple of years ago which landed me in the hospital. After a scan and a spinal tap to rule out any bleeding, it was determined that my body was lacking all important minerals and potassium, being loss through sweating. Although you drink plenty of water, it does not replace the deficiency of minerals your body requires to function properly. Recommendation: drink liquids like Gatorade or add a mineral supplement to your water while riding. Instead of eating health bars, eat a banana before riding and immediately after riding to balance the loss of potassium.

Hope this helps.