headaches

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tom G, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    I've been using the winter months (as mild as they are in Jerusalem, it was still very wet and cold
    this year) to do some weight work. I've been concentrating on leg and shoulders as I thought that
    they would help me with biking, running and my swimming.

    This week, while doing leg presses I developed a searing headache during a set. The weight was
    fairly large (260kg), but I have never had this happen before. Obviously, I stopped immediately.

    I have a tendency to migraines, but have never had this happen during an exercise.

    Any insights?

    --
    Cheers, Tom G.

    to send me e-mail, please remove the "123" from my return address, and substitue "tgu"

    Tags:

  2. "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I've been using the winter months (as mild as they are in Jerusalem, it was still very wet and
    > cold this year) to do some weight work. I've been concentrating on leg and shoulders as I thought
    > that they would help me with biking, running and my swimming.
    >
    > This week, while doing leg presses I developed a searing headache during a set. The weight was
    > fairly large (260kg), but I have never had this happen before. Obviously, I stopped immediately.
    >
    > I have a tendency to migraines, but have never had this happen during an exercise.
    >
    > Any insights?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Tom G.
    >
    > to send me e-mail, please remove the "123" from my return address, and substitue "tgu"

    Two possibilities:

    1) You were a little dehydrated and it was just a temporary thing that means nothing.

    2) You have a swollen blood vessel in your brain that is on the verge of bursting. It almost did
    this time, and next time you will die withins seconds of feeling the pain.

    Know how to tell the difference? Ask a real doctor. Today. Don't take soothing advice from someone
    on a different continent over the internet!

  3. My brother, may I ask you a serious question? With the war on, how do you train outside? Do you
    carry a gas mask on runs and rides? Stay safe.

    Fr. Guido

    "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been using the winter months (as mild as they are in Jerusalem, it was still very wet and
    > cold this year) to do some weight work. I've been concentrating on leg and shoulders as I thought
    > that they would help me with biking, running and my swimming.
    >
    > This week, while doing leg presses I developed a searing headache during a set. The weight was
    > fairly large (260kg), but I have never had this happen before. Obviously, I stopped immediately.
    >
    > I have a tendency to migraines, but have never had this happen during an exercise.
    >
    > Any insights?

  4. You should get that checked. Exercise or cough induced headaches can be a sentinel sign of something
    in your head that is not right "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've been using the winter months (as mild as they are in Jerusalem, it was still very wet and
    > cold this year) to do some weight work. I've been concentrating on leg and shoulders as I thought
    > that they would help me with biking, running and my swimming.

  5. Agreed. Get it checked out with your primary care physician.

    Harry

    "Kenneth Burres" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You should get that checked. Exercise or cough induced headaches can be a sentinel sign of
    > something in your head that is not right "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I've been using the winter months (as mild as they are in Jerusalem, it was still very wet and
    > > cold this year) to do some weight work. I've been concentrating on leg and shoulders as I
    > > thought that they would help me with biking, running and my swimming.

  6. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    Padre, That's a serious question, and I'll try to give a serious answer. Life here in Jerusalem,
    whether you're for or against the war (and most people, while hating Saddam, seem to think that this
    is a frivolous, imperialist, war), is a bit off-key. In the initial days some people (not too many)
    were walking around with their little boxes (gas masks and atropine); this appears to have died out
    (no pun intended) as the threat seemed to subside. My 15 year old daughter has to bring her box to
    school every day. Many houses and flats have a sealed room (although all are supposed to); all
    buildings do. In my gym there is one next to the pool and one next to the weight room. Everybody
    knows exactly where the nearest room
    is. On the campus where I work, we have sealed rooms on every floor. Yesterday while teaching we
    heard some jets and some grad students appeared to be freaking out (thought it was a
    missile, I guess).

    During our bike rides and runs thoughts of carrying the box have crossed my mind. What if ....

    It all reminds me of when I was a kid in Seattle, we had these civil defense drills. Remember those?
    We'd crouch under our desks at school with our head between our knees and our hands over our necks
    (to protect us from breaking glass that would shatter during a nuclear strike - as if the glass was
    our primary concern!). Someone in my high school put up a poster of all the steps, with the last one
    being - with your head between your knees, kiss you ass goodbye!

    I guess that's why we don't carry our little boxes. In all, its been a surreal experience (one that
    I could easily do without).

    Tom

    "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My brother, may I ask you a serious question? With the war on, how do you train outside? Do you
    > carry a gas mask on runs and rides? Stay safe.
    >
    > Fr. Guido
    >
    > "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've been using the winter months (as mild as they are in Jerusalem, it
    was
    > > still very wet and cold this year) to do some weight work. I've been concentrating on leg and
    > > shoulders as I thought that they would help me
    with
    > > biking, running and my swimming.
    > >
    > > This week, while doing leg presses I developed a searing headache during
    > > set. The weight was fairly large (260kg), but I have never had this
    happen
    > > before. Obviously, I stopped immediately.
    > >
    > > I have a tendency to migraines, but have never had this happen during an exercise.
    > >
    > > Any insights?

  7. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    will do!