Headlight Mount For V-Rex

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Randy Hoffman, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Does anyone have a reliable way to mount a headlight on a V-Rex? If so, I would like to hear your
    ideas. Thanks in advance!

    "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"

    Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    http://www.giantcompany.com

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]_s03>, [email protected] says...
    > Does anyone have a reliable way to mount a headlight on a V-Rex? If so, I would like to hear your
    > ideas. Thanks in advance!

    I used a Riv-Nut and installed a M5 bolt (water bottle mount size) under the BB on my Bacchetta Giro
    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/GIroLightEtc/image005.htm

    I'm sure a riv-nut mounted below _and_ behind the BB of your V-Rex would work too.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Randy,

    Haluzak makes a dandy light and cyclometer mount. You remove the cap in the front derailleur tube
    and plug it in. Several 'bent retailers sell it.

    Gene Tampa, FL RANS V-Rex

  4. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
  5. Harv

    Harv Guest

    "Randy Hoffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Does anyone have a reliable way to mount a headlight on a V-Rex? If so, I would like to hear your
    > ideas. Thanks in advance!

    > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"
    >
    > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    > http://www.giantcompany.com

    Vision makes (made?) a T bar with an expanding wedge (like a stem bolt) that mounts into the front
    derrailleur post. I have my Turbo Cat flood light and Cat Eye computer mounted there and I have a
    Turbo Cat helmet mounted spot light. The Vision T bar was about $30 ordered through my LBS.

  6. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    The easiest way is to buy a Minoura Space Grip Mount for about $10 or so. Then just mount your
    headlight on that. An unmodified Minoura Space Grip will fit on the front derailer tube, even though
    I've read many people claim it won't. It's a little bit tricky to do because you need to open the
    clamp all the way and it still barely fits--but it really does fit--I've been using it all year and
    it works great.

    Brian

    P.S. Although I didn't need to, I also trimmed the Minoura space grip bar a bit since I didn't need
    to use the whole width.

    "Randy Hoffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Does anyone have a reliable way to mount a headlight on a V-Rex? If so, I would like to hear your
    > ideas. Thanks in advance!

    > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"
    >
    > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    > http://www.giantcompany.com

  7. Randy - I use the Haluzak t-piece to which Gene D. referred - it works just fine for my niterider
    digital nite owl light and a Cateye 300 led light at the same time. Yes, 2 headlights. Sort of like
    belt and suspenders. This should not be a problem to fit with the stock 105 crank, or with an XT
    crank as I use now ... but things might get cramped with a low Q crank though.

    Cletus - Did you drill the bottom bracket to mount the Riv nut?

    Jon Shinefeld Philadelphia, PA

    "Randy Hoffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Does anyone have a reliable way to mount a headlight on a V-Rex? If so, I would like to hear your
    > ideas. Thanks in advance!

    > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"
    >
    > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    > http://www.giantcompany.com

  8. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The easiest way is to buy a Minoura Space Grip Mount for about $10 or so. Then just mount your
    > headlight on that. An unmodified Minoura Space Grip will fit on the front derailer tube, even
    > though I've read many people
    claim
    > it won't. It's a little bit tricky to do because you need to open the
    clamp
    > all the way and it still barely fits--but it really does fit--I've been using it all year and it
    > works great.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > P.S. Although I didn't need to, I also trimmed the Minoura space grip bar
    > bit since I didn't need to use the whole width.

    My main complaint with the Minoura is the flimsy plastic base that cracks while cranking down the
    set-screw, if its not tight the bar never (to me) stays mounted correctly

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > Vision makes (made?) a T bar with an expanding wedge (like a stem bolt) that mounts into the front
    > derrailleur post. I have my Turbo Cat flood light and Cat Eye computer mounted there and I have a
    > Turbo Cat helmet mounted spot light. The Vision T bar was about $30 ordered through my LBS.

    I have one of these ATP Vision mounts on my RANS Rocket. I do not have them on my Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, since the "T" is an integral part of the derailleur mast. [1]

    [1] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg>

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  10. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus - Did you drill the bottom bracket to mount the Riv nut?

    The Bacchetta Mono tube is an inverted teardrop shape and as such, there is a bit of mainframe tube
    exposed below the BB. This is where I placed my Riv-Nut. I would not think that drilling a hole into
    the BB to be workable. That is why I recommended placing the riv-nut on the main tube below _and_
    behind the BB for the V-Rex.

    Here's another Photo: http://www.clee.org/Cycling/GiroLightEtc/image004.htm

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  11. Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > harv wrote:
    > >
    > > Vision makes (made?) a T bar with an expanding wedge (like a stem bolt) that mounts into the
    > > front derrailleur post. I have my Turbo Cat flood light and Cat Eye computer mounted there and
    > > I have a Turbo Cat helmet mounted spot light. The Vision T bar was about $30 ordered through
    > > my LBS.
    >
    > I have one of these ATP Vision mounts on my RANS Rocket. I do not have them on my Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer, since the "T" is an integral part of the derailleur mast. [1]
    >
    > [1] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg>
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

    I have the Haluzak headlight mount in stock for $35. I have put a Haluzak headlight mount on my
    Sunset. I simply removed the rubber plug and bolt and bolted it to the braze-on below the bottom
    bracket shell using an M5 bolt and some washers.

    Zach Kaplan

  12. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > harv wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Vision makes (made?) a T bar with an expanding wedge (like a stem bolt) that mounts into the
    > > > front derrailleur post. I have my Turbo Cat flood light and Cat Eye computer mounted there and
    > > > I have a Turbo Cat helmet mounted spot light. The Vision T bar was about $30 ordered through
    > > > my LBS.
    > >
    > > I have one of these ATP Vision mounts on my RANS Rocket. I do not have them on my Sunset and
    > > Dragonflyer, since the "T" is an integral part of the derailleur mast. [1]
    > >
    > > [1] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg>
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
    >
    > I have the Haluzak headlight mount in stock for $35. I have put a Haluzak headlight mount on my
    > Sunset. I simply removed the rubber plug and bolt and bolted it to the braze-on below the bottom
    > bracket shell using an M5 bolt and some washers.
    >
    > Zach Kaplan

    Or you could make your own out of PVC, Copper Plumbing parts and J-B Weld for less than $5 as I did
    for my Voyager.

    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/LiteMount.jpg

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. Cletus Lee wrote:
    > Or you could make your own out of PVC, Copper Plumbing parts and J-B Weld for less than $5 as I
    > did for my Voyager.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/LiteMount.jpg

    Or you could make your own from parts which crept out of a box in the shed for no money whatsoever,
    as I did for my Speedmachine. Sorry, no photo, but it's sturdy enough to be in there with the
    cockroaches and Toyota Hi-Lux pickups after Armageddon...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus Lee wrote:
    > > Or you could make your own out of PVC, Copper Plumbing parts and J-B Weld for less than $5 as I
    > > did for my Voyager.
    > >
    > > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/LiteMount.jpg
    >
    > Or you could make your own from parts which crept out of a box in the shed for no money
    > whatsoever, as I did for my Speedmachine. Sorry, no photo, but it's sturdy enough to be in there
    > with the cockroaches and Toyota Hi-Lux pickups after Armageddon...

    No Pics??? You musta made all that up!

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:

    > I have the Haluzak headlight mount in stock for $35. I have put a Haluzak headlight mount on my
    > Sunset. I simply removed the rubber plug and bolt and bolted it to the braze-on below the bottom
    > bracket shell using an M5 bolt and some washers.

    Zach,

    Is this to keep the light from shining on your feet as you pedal?

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  16. Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:
    > >
    > > I have the Haluzak headlight mount in stock for $35. I have put a Haluzak headlight mount on my
    > > Sunset. I simply removed the rubber plug and bolt and bolted it to the braze-on below the bottom
    > > bracket shell using an M5 bolt and some washers.
    >
    > Zach,
    >
    > Is this to keep the light from shining on your feet as you pedal?
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

    Correct.

    Zach Kaplan