Headlight mounting suggestons

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ed, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    As I use my handlebar bag all the time I am in need of suggestions for mounting my headlights. I
    current use a Vistalight Code 15 which is mounted to a home made hanger mounted to the front fork.
    There isn't enough room to mount to the bar stem due to the cables getting in the way. Any
    suggestions? Drawings / photos would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. ed wrote:

    > As I use my handlebar bag all the time I am in need of suggestions for mounting my headlights. I
    > current use a Vistalight Code 15 which is mounted to a home made hanger mounted to the front fork.
    > There isn't enough room to mount to the bar stem due to the cables getting in the way. Any
    > suggestions?

    I also use a handlebar bag on all my bikes.

    The bike that gets the most night riding used to have the generator headlight clamped to the front
    fork. I didn't like that position because the front of the wheel threw a shadow. I ultimately built
    a special little rack that puts the headlight out in front of the front fender just below the
    handlebar bag. Much better. That's all I use now, most of the time.

    When I used to use a rechargeable headlight, I found the handlebar bag too tall, so it blocked the
    light a bit. For a while, I used something similar to a Minoura Space Grip to hold the lights
    higher. When I built my own rechargeable, I built the headlight with a sort of stalk, to keep it
    higher than the bag. My Vistalight 400-series rechargeable still gets occasional use, and I mount it
    sideways, clamped to the front of the drop bar's bend. It shoots around the bag from the side.

    Some people mount headlights using the fork's low-rider bosses, if you're lucky enough to
    have those.

    My touring bike has a clip-on aero bar mounted, despite its interference with the handlebar bag. The
    front of that aero bar makes a good place to hang a headlight.

    Overall, I definitely prefer a position at the front tip of the fender. It's low enough to show
    potholes via their shadows, but still allows adequate tolerance on the vertical tilt angle.

    --
    Frank Krygowski

  3. ed wrote:
    > As I use my handlebar bag all the time I am in need of suggestions for mounting my headlights. I
    > current use a Vistalight Code 15 which is mounted to a home made hanger mounted to the front fork.
    > There isn't enough room to mount to the bar stem due to the cables getting in the way. Any
    > suggestions? Drawings / photos would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    One handlebar bag that I used to carry had a headlight clipon underneath. I could hang my headlight
    upside down under the bag. This was quite sufficient at the time. I think it was a Topeak bag. One
    day I took a bump at to high a speed and the handlebar bag blew it's attachments. I've been using a
    Camelbak since then when I need to carry something. Whether water or just my office clothes.

    --
    Perre

  4. frkrygowHALTSPAM <"frkrygowHALTSPAM"@cc.ysu.edu> wrote:
    >The bike that gets the most night riding used to have the generator headlight clamped to the front
    >fork. I didn't like that position because the front of the wheel threw a shadow. I ultimately built
    >a special little rack that puts the headlight out in front of the front fender just below the
    >handlebar bag.

    I use a part which is held in place by the fork crown bolt and extends about 2" forwards and 1"
    upwards, suspending the headlight just above the front mudguard. The shadow cast by the front wheel
    is small enough not to matter, because of the forward position of the light.

    >When I used to use a rechargeable headlight, I found the handlebar bag too tall, so it blocked
    >the light a bit. For a while, I used something similar to a Minoura Space Grip to hold the
    >lights higher.

    I use a Space Grip in order that my battery lights may extend upwards though a zippered slit I have
    cut into my cape.

  5. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest