Headlight Suggestions? - 05/23/12

Inocense

Apr 18, 2012
[SIZE= 10pt]Alright, I searched the forums for headlight suggestions and I didn't find many newer posts so I am opening a new thread... (Hopefully no one minds)[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]I am looking for a headlight under $50. I have found many comparable ones and I was wondering if any of you could give some reviews of what you have on your bike currently.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]I was looking at a few different ones but I am running into problems because some do not state the lumen output and some do.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]Planet Bike Blaze 1[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]Giant Numen Aero+[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]Giant Recon Aero 1[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]Giant Numen HL 2.0 1w[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]These are all 1 watt units I believe..[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]Any of you have experience with any of these? Any that anyone would highly recommend within or below that price range?[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt]Thanks in advance![/SIZE]

If you just want a light for you to be seen, you can buy one of the cheapest ones for around $10 or so. If you want to illuminate the road in the dark, you'll need to get something better than the Planet Bike Blaze or similar lights. (I can't say I know the other lights you listed.)

I first bought a Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt model and it is not much better than my $10 headlight when it comes to lighting the road. The beam is somewhat brighter but is way too narrow and I really couldn't ride above a slow pace on a dark trail. If you can only spend $50 I think a great deal is the Niterider MiNewt 150. This is an order of magnitude better than the Blaze 2. The 150 model has been replaced by even more powerful units so the price is quite low on remaining units. I don't know if there is anything else close at this price.

http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-MiNewt-150-Cordless-Handlebar/dp/B003YC4A9I/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1338095254&sr=1-14

Reactions: Inocense
You might want to take a look at the Expilion group from Cygolite. You may have to invest a bit more than $50, but I believe you'll end up with a quality rechargeable unit. I ride mostly before dawn and have an Epilion 350 ($75) on my Trek 2.1. I reverse mounted the light underneath the handlebar and for day rides, it removes easily. I rarely use the full illumination setting; actually too bright for me. One notch down and I'm assured of seeing and being seen. Good luck!

Reactions: Inocense
That Expelion looks like a great light!.. I think before I spend this much money on a light that I havent had to use yet (no night rides as of yet), I am gonna get a flashlight mount for my flashlight at home.. It's only $12 and I am gonna see how that works out.. If that doesnt cut it, I think I might just save my pennies for that Expilion!..

Thanks all!

The Expelion looks like a great light. I rarely use the full illumination setting; actually too bright for me. One notch down and I'm assured of seeing and being seen.