Headphones / Earbuds Suggestions

celia123

Sep 10, 2007
I'm looking for suggestions on a good set of headphones / earbuds for riding, with the primary quality being that they stay in the ear and secondary quality that they don't block out too much outside sound. I'm not likely to choose a set with an around-the-ear clip, just an in-ear set.

I have some KOSS "Sparkplug" earbuds with a soft expandable cushion but they isolate too much outside noise and still work their ways out of my ears.

This is on sale at Amazon this week and look like they might be good: Sony Fontopia Ear-Bud Headphones Model: MDREX71SLA. Anyone use this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71SLA-Fontopia-Bud-Style-Headphones/dp/B000JKHXPQ

And finally, since sound quality isn't all that big a deal with all the wind noise, I'm considering getting one of the more typical earbud sets. And I also found this JVC HAFX33B Marshmallow Soft Inner Ear Headphones for only $8

http://www.dealstudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=35576&ru=290

Has anyone else tried this?
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

You'll probably mostly find here the opinion that it is stupid to ride a bike whilst wearing headphones....
At very least that is my opinion. You can tell me all you want about how responsible you are, how you always keep it low and you can still hear, but I still think its about as smart to ride with headphones on as it is to talk on a cell phone while driving.

I have found that paying more money for quality buds to be the go, the music is clearer less mush background hiss so you can keep the volume lower the cord has a hardned ends near the buds that hook over your ear lobe and the cord is replaceable giving much longer life, the are an ultimate ears brand.

I wouldnt pay much heed to killjoys who say you shouldnt be listening to music, you will find that most of them havent tried it or they dont like music that much but they just dont want you to be able to do it.
They prefer to listen to the swish of their tyres and nature or in reality more often the dull roar of traffic.

My cycle starts at 5.am and is almost all on a bike path so i can up the volume.,that said I have riden with music in many cities in heavy traffic including Hyde Park Corner (London ) in rush hour .
ejoy your tunes and the ride

I have no problem with the regular iPod earbuds. Try to do a search, you will find that this issue has been discussed several times before!

roubaix rider said:
I have found that paying more money for quality buds to be the go, the music is clearer less mush background hiss so you can keep the volume lower the cord has a hardned ends near the buds that hook over your ear lobe and the cord is replaceable giving much longer life, the are an ultimate ears brand.

I wouldnt pay much heed to killjoys who say you shouldnt be listening to music, you will find that most of them havent tried it or they dont like music that much but they just dont want you to be able to do it.
They prefer to listen to the swish of their tyres and nature or in reality more often the dull roar of traffic.

My cycle starts at 5.am and is almost all on a bike path so i can up the volume.,that said I have riden with music in many cities in heavy traffic including Hyde Park Corner (London ) in rush hour .
I love music, played in several bands, and have listened to music while riding until I almost got run over by a gravel truck at a trail crossing because I couldn't hear him. Like you, my rides usually begin before dawn but these trucks run 24 hours a day. Now I listen to the morning birds, the swish of my tires, and the deer running off the trail into the underbrush. I also have full ability to hear any danger that makes a noise, not just trucks and cars but kids on skateboards, dogs, etc. If you want to listen to music, fine, but you don't know what you are missing and what might not be missing you!

Right on KD. Riding without the benefit of being able to hear is just plain stupid imo.

roubaix rider said:

Hey, that's just your opinion. You are entitled to have your opinion, but you don't have to brand everyone who is against it as people who don't enjoy music, don't want others to enjoy, etc. If you have walked on sidewalks frequenty with many others talking on cell phones, listening to their ipods, etc. you would have encountered some who are so absorbed in their own world that they are essentially being a jackass towards others without realizing it - not walking steadily (weaving from side to side), crossing roads in front of traffic, etc. The same applies to cycling.