Heads-Up Display

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tim Arnold, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold Guest

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html

    SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto jet
    windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will be able
    to take advantage of that technology.

    Motion Research, a Seattle company founded in 1993 by a former racecar driver, Dominic Dobson, said
    that next spring it would begin selling an inexpensive information display system to be attached to
    a motorcycle helmet.

    The Sportvue head-mounted display will allow riders to see speed, r.p.m. and gear position without
    taking their eyes off the road. The system gathers speed information from a global positioning
    satellite receiver attached to the rear of the helmet.

    The design, based on a patent co-developed by Tom Furness, one of the pioneers of head-mounted
    display technology, uses a lens and mirror and backlit liquid crystal display to give the viewer the
    illusion that the information displayed in the periphery of one eye is projected in the distance.

    Mr. Dobson founded Motion Research when he was racing Indianapolis and Formula One cars, and his
    initial idea was to use the display technology for racecar drivers. But the cost of producing
    such displays was prohibitively high a decade ago. He retired in 1998 and recently picked the
    idea up again because the costs of the technology have fallen significantly.

    "We realized we could build it far more cheaply today," he said. "Not much changed in the technology
    itself. What happened was the cost of manufacturing changed."

    Today, he said, the technology is beginning to appear in the consumer market, both in wearable
    systems and in some cars, like certain models of the Cadillac with systems that project driving
    information onto the windshield.

    But Motion Research will be the first company to attempt a truly low-cost consumer application. The
    price of the motorcycle Sportvue will be from $249 to $349.

    The bicycle version of Sportvue, which will be introduced sometime after the motorcycle system, will
    project speed, distance traveled and heart rate information, like current cyclometers, and be from
    $150 to $199, Mr. Dobson said. He said the company was also in discussions with helmet manufacturers
    to integrate the display systems into helmets.

    Get home delivery of The Times from $2.90/week

    TOP NYTIMES.COM ARTICLES

    U.S. and 2 Allies Agree on a Plan for North Korea

    Putin Calls Elections Fair Despite Observers' Criticism

    50 and Ready for a Colonoscopy? Doctors Say Wait Is Often Long

    Challenging Bush: A Centrist, Lieberman Fights for Votes in an Extremist Era

    Go to NYTimes.com Home

    TOP TECHNOLOGY ARTICLES

    Nations Chafe at U.S. Influence Over the Internet

    New Economy: Learning Lessons About Overseas Support

    A New Use for a CD's Flip Side

    Heads-Up Displays Move From Cockpits to Cyclists' Helmets

    Go to Technology

    OUR ADVERTISERS

    Free IQ Test

    Free 3-5 Day Shipping w/ Dell PCs. Details.

    3 Stocks We Love & 5 We Don't ­ Free!

    Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search
    | Corrections | Help | Back to Top

    Tags:

  2. I can see having this information when riding a motor vehicle, but who needs a HUD on a bicycle?
    --------------
    Alex

  3. Tim Arnold wrote:

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
    >
    > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto jet
    > windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will be
    > able to take advantage of that technology.

    But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).

  4. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tim Arnold wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
    > >
    > > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto
    > > jet windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will
    > > be able to take advantage of that technology.
    >
    > But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).

    Dear Alex and Zog,

    You two Luddites probably question the value of flashing lights in the soles of children's sneakers.

    If Wilbur and Orville had taken your attitude, railroads would still be losing our luggage.

    (Sorry, just back from the airport.)

    Carl Fogel

  5. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    But many have fairings!

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:

    > I can see having this information when riding a motor vehicle, but who needs a HUD on a bicycle?

    No-one _needs_ one. No-one _needs_ a cycle computer at all. For that matter, no-one needs a
    lightweight frame, or clipless pedals, or suspension, or twenty-seven gears, or any gears at all for
    that matter.

    But it's always worth considering the posibility that (for some people) it might enhance the fun.

    ;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

  7. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Zog The Undenia wrote:
    > > Tim Arnold wrote:
    > > > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.htmlhttp://www-
    > > > .nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
    > > >
    > > > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected
    > > > onto jet windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and
    > > > bicyclists will be able to take advantage of that technology.
    > >
    > > But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).
    >
    > But many have fairings!

    Dear Meb,

    I hadn't thought of the fairings, but you're right--lots of recumbents have clear plastic snoots:

    http://www.mueller-hp.com/wwstez1.htm

    Carl Fogel

  8. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).

    I just read the HUD article this morning, and having recently pulled my visor out of storage for use
    this winter, I thought the timing was interesting. The visor I use to keep the cold wind from my
    face can be seen at http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cbolarge_photo.cfm?SKU=5077&Store=Bike.

    Very unfashionable, but since winter commutes are often quite dark, I can usually sneak under the
    radar of Fabrizio.

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  9. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Zog The Undenia wrote:
    > > Tim Arnold wrote:
    > > > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.htmlhttp://www-
    > > > .nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
    > > >
    > > > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected
    > > > onto jet windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and
    > > > bicyclists will be able to take advantage of that technology.
    > > But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).
    >

    > But many have fairings!

    A couple of the competitors at the WHPSC wrote their speed targets for each mile marker on the
    inside of their canopies. You can see Sam Whittingham's in this photo:
    http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2003/images/ArneHodalic/DSC_1465g.jpg

    Heads-up display by Sharpie!

    I think the last 4 entries are: 2 - 70
    - 75 1 - 77
    - 80

    Sam's posted the SRM data from his top speed runs and his hour record at
    http://www.fortebikes.com/news.htm . I can't wait to look at his heart rate during his 80 mph crash.

    Jeff