Heads-Up Display

Tim Arnold

Guest
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto jet
windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will be able
to take advantage of that technology.

Motion Research, a Seattle company founded in 1993 by a former racecar driver, Dominic Dobson, said
that next spring it would begin selling an inexpensive information display system to be attached to
a motorcycle helmet.

The Sportvue head-mounted display will allow riders to see speed, r.p.m. and gear position without
taking their eyes off the road. The system gathers speed information from a global positioning
satellite receiver attached to the rear of the helmet.

The design, based on a patent co-developed by Tom Furness, one of the pioneers of head-mounted
display technology, uses a lens and mirror and backlit liquid crystal display to give the viewer the
illusion that the information displayed in the periphery of one eye is projected in the distance.

Mr. Dobson founded Motion Research when he was racing Indianapolis and Formula One cars, and his
initial idea was to use the display technology for racecar drivers. But the cost of producing
such displays was prohibitively high a decade ago. He retired in 1998 and recently picked the
idea up again because the costs of the technology have fallen significantly.

"We realized we could build it far more cheaply today," he said. "Not much changed in the technology
itself. What happened was the cost of manufacturing changed."

Today, he said, the technology is beginning to appear in the consumer market, both in wearable
systems and in some cars, like certain models of the Cadillac with systems that project driving
information onto the windshield.

But Motion Research will be the first company to attempt a truly low-cost consumer application. The
price of the motorcycle Sportvue will be from $249 to $349.

The bicycle version of Sportvue, which will be introduced sometime after the motorcycle system, will
project speed, distance traveled and heart rate information, like current cyclometers, and be from
$150 to $199, Mr. Dobson said. He said the company was also in discussions with helmet manufacturers
to integrate the display systems into helmets.

Get home delivery of The Times from $2.90/week

TOP NYTIMES.COM ARTICLES

U.S. and 2 Allies Agree on a Plan for North Korea

Putin Calls Elections Fair Despite Observers' Criticism

50 and Ready for a Colonoscopy? Doctors Say Wait Is Often Long

Challenging Bush: A Centrist, Lieberman Fights for Votes in an Extremist Era

Go to NYTimes.com Home

TOP TECHNOLOGY ARTICLES

Nations Chafe at U.S. Influence Over the Internet

New Economy: Learning Lessons About Overseas Support

A New Use for a CD's Flip Side

Heads-Up Displays Move From Cockpits to Cyclists' Helmets

Go to Technology

OUR ADVERTISERS

Free IQ Test

Free 3-5 Day Shipping w/ Dell PCs. Details.

3 Stocks We Love & 5 We Don't ­ Free!

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search
| Corrections | Help | Back to Top

I can see having this information when riding a motor vehicle, but who needs a HUD on a bicycle?
--------------
Alex

Tim Arnold wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
>
> SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto jet
> windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will be
> able to take advantage of that technology.

But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tim Arnold wrote:
>
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
> >
> > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto
> > jet windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will
> > be able to take advantage of that technology.
>
> But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).

Dear Alex and Zog,

You two Luddites probably question the value of flashing lights in the soles of children's sneakers.

If Wilbur and Orville had taken your attitude, railroads would still be losing our luggage.

(Sorry, just back from the airport.)

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by Zog The Undenia
Tim Arnold wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
>
> SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected onto jet
> windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and bicyclists will be
> able to take advantage of that technology.

But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).
But many have fairings!

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:

> I can see having this information when riding a motor vehicle, but who needs a HUD on a bicycle?

No-one _needs_ one. No-one _needs_ a cycle computer at all. For that matter, no-one needs a
lightweight frame, or clipless pedals, or suspension, or twenty-seven gears, or any gears at all for
that matter.

But it's always worth considering the posibility that (for some people) it might enhance the fun.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Zog The Undenia wrote:
> > Tim Arnold wrote:
> > > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.htmlhttp://www-
> > > .nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
> > >
> > > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected
> > > onto jet windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and
> > > bicyclists will be able to take advantage of that technology.
> >
> > But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).
>
> But many have fairings!

Dear Meb,

I hadn't thought of the fairings, but you're right--lots of recumbents have clear plastic snoots:

http://www.mueller-hp.com/wwstez1.htm

Carl Fogel

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).

I just read the HUD article this morning, and having recently pulled my visor out of storage for use
this winter, I thought the timing was interesting. The visor I use to keep the cold wind from my
face can be seen at http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cbolarge_photo.cfm?SKU=5077&Store=Bike.

Very unfashionable, but since winter commutes are often quite dark, I can usually sneak under the
radar of Fabrizio.

Dave dvt at psu dot edu

meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Zog The Undenia wrote:
> > Tim Arnold wrote:
> > > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.htmlhttp://www-
> > > .nytimes.com/2003/12/08/technology/08display.html
> > >
> > > SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 7 - Fighter pilots have long been able to view flight data projected
> > > onto jet windshields within their line of sight. Soon recreational motorcyclists and
> > > bicyclists will be able to take advantage of that technology.
> > But bike helmets don't have visors (even if you wear one).
>

> But many have fairings!

A couple of the competitors at the WHPSC wrote their speed targets for each mile marker on the
inside of their canopies. You can see Sam Whittingham's in this photo:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2003/images/ArneHodalic/DSC_1465g.jpg

Heads-up display by Sharpie!

I think the last 4 entries are: 2 - 70
- 75 1 - 77
- 80

Sam's posted the SRM data from his top speed runs and his hour record at
http://www.fortebikes.com/news.htm . I can't wait to look at his heart rate during his 80 mph crash.

Jeff