heads up to Illinois cyclists

Rich Westerman

Guest
Subject: Fw: Illiinois Senate Bill 275 alert SAFE BIKING!

Amidst all the craziness of world politics these days, there is an Illinois senate bill that hits
close to home for me.....if you agree with the following it would be great if you could call your
state senator today......(below there's a link below that will help you get contact info for your
state senator) Thanks! ---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Folks, As you may have heard, last week's consideration by the Illinois Senate Judiciary Committee
of SB 275, the bill that fixes the flaws in state law that led to a disastrous state Supreme Court
decision almost five years ago, was postponed until tomorrow (Tuesday, March 4). There's still time
to lend your support to this measure.

This is from the League of Illinois Bicyclists: Senate Bill 275 Action Alert Your help is needed now
to pass a bill that affects bicycling conditions throughout Illinois. House Bill 1248 and Senate
Bill 275 would correct the negative impacts of the 1998 Illinois Supreme Court Boub vs. Wayne
decision, which has been a disaster for on-road cycling in the state. Until the bill gets passed:
Towns that want to improve on-road bike safety through signage or bike lanes are penalized with
liability, towns that do nothing get immunity;

Bicyclists do not have any liability protection, as motorcyclists and motorists do, and bicyclists
in other states do;

Long-distance bikeways like the Grand Illinois Trail and Mississippi River Trail, and MANY other
local plans, are being stalled;

We're the only state with this bizarre and powerful disincentive for improving bike safety.

On Feb. 20, our House bill won an impressive 13-4-1 victory in the House Judiciary Committee -
thanks to lots of calls and faxes from cyclists which swung a number of the votes.

On March 4, we face a tough test, in the Senate Judiciary Committee. WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

Find out your state senator's phone number at http://www.biketraffic.org/boub_search.html Call and
identify yourself as a bicyclist in the district and ask for support of SB275. Use the points above
if you wish. It's fine to call and leave a message (or fax) during the weekend or evenings.

Please make this very short call and forward this to your biking friends. The voices of individual
bicyclists are very important in passing the bill, just as this bill is critical to improving
bicycling in the state. THANKS!

Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING for safety. Do you believe that a
motorist can't ignore a sign or can't cross a painted stripe? Sheeeesh!

Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective Cycling by John Forester. Keep your
do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic to yourselves.

This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]

"Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Subject: Fw: Illiinois Senate Bill 275 alert SAFE BIKING!
>
> Amidst all the craziness of world politics these days, there is an
Illinois
> senate bill that hits close to home for me.....if you agree with the following it would be great
> if you could call your state senator today......(below there's a link below that will help you get
> contact info for your state senator) Thanks! ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
>
> Folks, As you may have heard, last week's consideration by the Illinois Senate Judiciary Committee
> of SB 275, the bill that fixes the flaws in state law that led to a disastrous state Supreme Court
> decision almost five years ago, was postponed until tomorrow (Tuesday, March 4). There's still
> time to lend your support to this measure.
>
> This is from the League of Illinois Bicyclists: Senate Bill 275 Action Alert Your help is needed
> now to pass a bill that affects bicycling conditions throughout Illinois. House Bill 1248 and
> Senate Bill 275 would correct the negative impacts of the 1998 Illinois Supreme Court Boub vs.
> Wayne decision, which has been a disaster for on-road cycling in the state. Until the bill gets
> passed: Towns that want to improve on-road bike safety through signage or bike lanes are penalized
> with liability, towns that do nothing get immunity;
>
> Bicyclists do not have any liability protection, as motorcyclists and motorists do, and bicyclists
> in other states do;
>
> Long-distance bikeways like the Grand Illinois Trail and Mississippi River Trail, and MANY other
> local plans, are being stalled;
>
> We're the only state with this bizarre and powerful disincentive for improving bike safety.
>
> On Feb. 20, our House bill won an impressive 13-4-1 victory in the House Judiciary Committee -
> thanks to lots of calls and faxes from cyclists which swung a number of the votes.
>
> On March 4, we face a tough test, in the Senate Judiciary Committee. WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
>
> Find out your state senator's phone number at http://www.biketraffic.org/boub_search.html Call and
> identify yourself as a bicyclist in the district and ask for support of SB275. Use the points
> above if you wish. It's fine to call and leave a message (or fax) during the weekend or evenings.
>
> Please make this very short call and forward this to your biking friends. The voices of individual
> bicyclists are very important in passing the bill, just as this bill is critical to improving
> bicycling in the state. THANKS!

Do you live in Illinois? I do and like Rich said we have had to put up with this garbage for 5
years! What do you mean this does not belong here? It has everything to do with bicycling, it sure
is not OT. Communities in Illinois do not want bicyclist riding on their streets because of the
Boub decision, they do not want to be liable. Where do you get off being negative to something
that will benefit every cyclist in Illinois. Once again do you live in Illinois? If not you have
no right speaking for any Illinois cyclist. It seems like you have no clue as to what is going on
in Illinois.

John

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > points above if you wish. It's fine to call and leave a message (or fax) during the weekend or
> > evenings.
> >
> > Please make this very short call and forward this to your biking friends. The voices of
> > individual bicyclists are very important in passing the bill, just as this bill is critical to
> > improving bicycling in the state. THANKS!

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING for safety. Do you believe that
> a motorist can't ignore a sign or can't cross a painted stripe? Sheeeesh!
>
> Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective Cycling by John Forester. Keep
> your do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic to yourselves.
>
> This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]

I respectfully beg to differ. Illinois riders and municipalities who wish to accomodate them face
significant challenges as a result of the "Boub" decision. This bill will eliminate the liabilities
that Boub established and allow progress on some very important projects. It has nothing to do with
"liberal feel-good salves...". I'd suggest that you become a bit better informed before blasting
other posters.

I'll be making that call.

Steve Baker

Are you so provincial that you think cyclists' rights are under assault only in your backyard? Get a
life. Address the issues that I raised and not your dislike of conservatism.

If I've no right to speak on ill issues then why did you post to an international forum. Are you
whining? Get a life.

"John W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
House
> > > Judiciary Committee - thanks to lots of calls and faxes from cyclists which swung a number of
> > > the votes.
> > >
> > > On March 4, we face a tough test, in the Senate Judiciary Committee.
WE
> > > NEED YOUR HELP!!
> > >
> > > Find out your state senator's phone number at http://www.biketraffic.org/boub_search.html Call
> > > and identify yourself as a bicyclist in the district and ask for support of SB275. Use the
> > > points above if you wish. It's fine to call and leave a message (or
fax)
> > > during the weekend or evenings.
> > >
> > > Please make this very short call and forward this to your biking friends. The voices of
> > > individual bicyclists are very important in passing the bill, just as this bill is critical to
> > > improving bicycling in the state. THANKS!

You should note that the original post stated "Heads up Illinois Cyclists". If it doesn't pertain to
you why inject all the venom? This is a public forum and I'm sure we are capable of more tolerance
than this. If it offends you don't read it, skip over it. Such a venomous response suggests a bad
case of cabin fever. "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING for safety. Do you believe that
> a motorist can't ignore a sign or can't cross
> painted stripe? Sheeeesh!
>
> Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective Cycling
by
> John Forester. Keep your do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic to yourselves.
>
> This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]

Its obvious you know nothing of the issue in Illinois and you are just out to start a flame war. I
am not going to get into a flame war with you. Personally I could care less what you think. You get
a life!!!!!!!

John

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Are you so provincial that you think cyclists' rights are under assault
only
> in your backyard? Get a life. Address the issues that I raised and not your dislike of
> conservatism.
>
> If I've no right to speak on ill issues then why did you post to an international forum. Are you
> whining? Get a life.
>

> "John W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Do you live in Illinois? I do and like Rich said we have had to put up
> with
> > this garbage for 5 years! What do you mean this does not belong here? It
> has
> > everything to do with bicycling, it sure is not OT. Communities in
> Illinois
> > do not want bicyclist riding on their streets because of the Boub
> decision,
> > they do not want to be liable. Where do you get off being negative to something that will
> > benefit every cyclist in Illinois. Once again do you live in Illinois? If not you have no right
> > speaking for any Illinois cyclist. It seems like you have no clue as to what is going on in
> Illinois.
> >
> > John
> >

> > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING
for
> > > safety. Do you believe that a motorist can't ignore a sign or can't
> cross
> > > painted stripe? Sheeeesh!
> > >
> > > Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective
Cycling
> > by
> > > John Forester. Keep your do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic
> > > yourselves.
> > >
> > > This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]
> > >

> > > "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Illinois
contact
> > info

> Senate

> conditions
Wayne
bike
> immunity;

> House

> WE

> fax)

bicycling

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING for safety. Do you believe that
> a motorist can't ignore a sign or can't cross a painted stripe? Sheeeesh!
>
> Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective Cycling by John Forester. Keep
> your do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic to yourselves.
>
> This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]

There definitely is some irrationality being exhibited, but I'm afraid Rich is not the culprit.

As a recumbent enthusiast, I tend to spend my internet time browsing recumbent-specific sites.
Nonetheless I am VERY concerned about the illogical and often mean-spirited attempts of some
legislators to restrict cycling.

While it may not be the case everywhere, I know many traffic departments give careful thought to the
selection of bike routes based on low traffic, wide shoulders, etc. I find the marking of lanes and
routes is helpful to me in selecting a route from point A to point B.

Certainly I am outraged when legislators/judges declare open-season on cyclists.

Thanks for the post, Rich. If I were an Illinois citizen I would absolutely contact my legislators.

DeVon

Nothing is perfect. A stop sign cannot make someone stop, but most people would not think of them as
"liberal and feel good salves". And, while the cited message is not strictly about recumbent
bicycles, it "belongs" here at least as much as many other messages, and is far more enjoyable and
beneficial than most. Of course, it doesn't come close to the do-something, know-everything,
do-gooder logic of carrying guns on bikes. But perhaps some might think that *that* topic belongs on
[email protected]. What do you think?

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Doug, why are you always so grumpy? Fixing a judicial ruling that makes bicyclists second class road
users is probably a good thing. The bill would require roads to be safe for their intended users,
and bicycles not be excluded. This is an unmoderated forum and this 'stuff' looks on topic to
me.
snip>
> Doug Huffman wrote:
> > Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING for safety. Do you believe
> > that a motorist can't ignore a sign or can't
cross a
> > painted stripe? Sheeeesh!
> >
> > Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective Cycling
by
> > John Forester. Keep your do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic to yourselves.
> >
> > This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]

snip

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Signs and lanes are lieberal and feel good salves. They do NOTHING for safety. Do you believe that
> a motorist can't ignore a sign or can't cross a painted stripe? Sheeeesh!
>
> Read, understand and practice the vehicular cycling of Effective Cycling by John Forester. Keep
> your do-nothing, know nothing, do gooder illogic to yourselves.
>
> This stuff does not belong here. Read and discuss this stuff on [email protected]

First, let me say that anything that has to do with bicyclists legal rights, anywhere, is on topic
and belongs in this newsgroup. As someone already pointed out, the original post was clearly titled
for the attention of Illinois cyclists, so if that was not of interest to you, why did you read it
and then post your worthless babble?

Secondly, from your posts, it is quite obvious that you have no idea what the Illinois Supreme
Court decision in the Boub vs Wayne Township case was even about and why the consequences of that
decision are important for all cyclists in the US, not just Illinois. Simply put, that decision
made a cyclist, on an Illinois road, a second class citizen. As a result of the decision, a
cyclist on an Illinois road in not an "intended" user of that road and, therefore, if injured
because of road conditions caused by negligence, has no legal recourse to recover damages unless
they are on a signed bike route or painted bike lane. However, any motor vehicle operator can do
so. In other words, in Illinois, the roads are "intended" for motor vehicles, not bicycles.
Cyclists can use the roads but can not expect the same legal rights as a motor vehicle operator.
As far as I know, Illinois is the only state in the US to take this position. A pretty dangerous
precedent, don't you think?

If you would care to educate yourself before making further uninformed posts, you can do a search on
any of the search engines and find many sources of more information on this subject, including the
details of the Boub vs Wayne Township litigation case that resulted in this whole mess. I believe
that almost every user of this newsgroup, except maybe yourself, would understand that this is about
cyclists having the same legal rights, on public roads and streets, as motor vehicle operators and
therefore, is worthy of discussion on this group.

Harry Jiles

Really, John, pay attention! It's not on the subject of cars, guns, politics or whatever Mr. Huffman
currently has a bee in his bonnet over, so it must perforce be OT. Tch!

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:35:06 GMT, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Subject: Fw: Illiinois Senate Bill 275 alert SAFE BIKING!
>
>Amidst all the craziness of world politics these days, there is an Illinois senate bill that hits
>close to home for me.....

Can you summarize the court case and the proposed remedy?

It sounds like a court ruling said that cities that post bike route signs may be the target of civil
damage suits,-- for instance, if a cyclist is hurt on a so marked route,-- while cities that do not
post such signs have some level of immunity.

This does seem a "through the looking glass"...

It is important to keep informed of various state/provencial laws regarding bikes. What starts in
one area often spreads, including by judicial precedence.

Jon Meinecke net.subtle-apteryx

Jon,

This website explains it all: http://www.bikelib.org/boubcase/boubmenu.html

In a nutshell because of the Boub ruling bicycles are longer considered vehicles in Illinois and
thus are not afforded the rights and privileges other road users have that are considered vehicles
(such as automobiles). You can see why Illinois bicyclists are up in arms over this ruling.

John

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:35:06 GMT, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Subject: Fw: Illiinois Senate Bill 275 alert SAFE BIKING!
> >
> >Amidst all the craziness of world politics these days, there is an
Illinois
> >senate bill that hits close to home for me.....
>
> Can you summarize the court case and the proposed remedy?
>
> It sounds like a court ruling said that cities that post bike route signs may be the target of
> civil damage suits,-- for instance, if a cyclist is hurt on a so marked route,-- while cities that
> do not post such signs have some level of immunity.
>
> This does seem a "through the looking glass"...
>
> It is important to keep informed of various state/provencial laws regarding bikes. What starts in
> one area often spreads, including by judicial precedence.
>
> Jon Meinecke net.subtle-apteryx

If you destroy a car wheel in a huge pothole in Illinois, you might be able to get some remedy from
the appropriate agency with 'ownership' of that piece of roadway. If you destroy a bike a wheel and
injure yourself in the resulting fall, it's tough ****, pal. That's one reason (IMO) the legislation
is important. "Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:35:06 GMT, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Subject: Fw: Illiinois Senate Bill 275 alert SAFE BIKING!
> >
> >Amidst all the craziness of world politics these days, there is an
Illinois
> >senate bill that hits close to home for me.....
>
> Can you summarize the court case and the proposed remedy?
>
> It sounds like a court ruling said that cities that post bike route signs may be the target of
> civil damage suits,-- for instance, if a cyclist is hurt on a so marked route,-- while cities that
> do not post such signs have some level of immunity.
>
> This does seem a "through the looking glass"...
>
> It is important to keep informed of various state/provencial laws regarding bikes. What starts in
> one area often spreads, including by judicial precedence.
>
> Jon Meinecke net.subtle-apteryx

Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Can you summarize the court case and the proposed remedy?
>
> It sounds like a court ruling said that cities that post bike route signs may be the target of
> civil damage suits,-- for instance, if a cyclist is hurt on a so marked route,-- while cities that
> do not post such signs have some level of immunity.

You can find the actual Illinois Appellate Court ruling of this case at:
http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/AppellateCourt/1997/2ndDistrict/September/HTML/2961249.txt

You can find the results and implications of the Illinois Supreme Court ruling upholding the
Appellate Court decision and how the current proposed legislation would remedy this at:
http://www.biketraffic.org/justice.htm

Harry Jiles