Heads up: TVP area / Reading ; pallet-slinging pissheads.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. NB: if checking this link, ensure full URL is sent to browser

    http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0300reading/page.cfm?objectid=12
    732898&method=full&siteid=50102

    Headline is: Drunks blight historic street

    The street in question is London Street, Reading. Along this street is a nightclub called the
    Matrix; if the name sounds familiar it may be because this was the scene of a shooting incident a
    year ago when the Heartless Crew (a UK garage crew) came to Reading and loads of London rude boys
    caused a riot.

    Although the club is now under new management and no one has been shot since (yet), it is one of the
    main (only?) late opening venues in Reading and thus attracts most of the hedonistic types of town
    looking to extend their weekend booze/drugs session.

    Anyway, the article mentions this:

    "I've seen people drag pallets out of skips and throw them at cyclists and passing cars.

    So as not to make anyone too paranoid, I would mention at this point I cycle down London Street
    quite regularly, and no one has tried slinging a pallet at me.

    I have also not seen this sort of incident reported on TVP's press releases; but I would expect an
    assailant with a relatively heavy missile and reactions delayed due to alcohol/drugs would probably
    end up throwing *short *of a fast moving target.

    Therefore, the cyclist may not have reported it to the old bill as there isn't a lot the cops can do
    unless someone *is* struck by the missile (they could tell off the drunk I suppose or instruct
    buiilders to keep skips away from public areas but thats about it).

    However this *could* have been very nasty so I thought it worth warning people. Always best to be
    vigilant if cycling through town when drunk/drugged people are about anyway, as at least one idiot
    may try and throw something into your path (or even run in front of you). I often have to avoid
    idiots around pub/club chucking out time or any evening in Reading - people drink to excess
    throughout the week even on Mondays!

    Incidentally in case a certain lady is planning a "Girls night out" in Reading, I do *not* wear
    bib-shorts, and have *no* intention whatsoever of ever purchasing such attire!

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. >Incidentally in case a certain lady is planning a "Girls night out" in Reading, I do *not* wear
    >bib-shorts, and have *no* intention whatsoever of ever purchasing such attire!
    >
    >Alex

    You're safe from the paving slab fairy in Celeste tutu then ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2] <[email protected]> wrote:
    >However this *could* have been very nasty so I thought it worth warning people. Always best to be
    >vigilant if cycling through town when drunk/drugged people are about anyway, as at least one idiot
    >may try and throw something into your path (or even run in front of you). I often have to avoid
    >idiots around pub/club chucking out time or any evening in Reading - people drink to excess
    >throughout the week even on Mondays!

    I must say that very little would induce me to ride in Reading around chucking-out time. :-/