Heads up: TVP area / Reading ; pallet-slinging pissheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr R@T \ -Lsqco

NB: if checking this link, ensure full URL is sent to browser

http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0300reading/page.cfm?objectid=12
732898&method=full&siteid=50102

Headline is: Drunks blight historic street

The street in question is London Street, Reading. Along this street is a nightclub called the
Matrix; if the name sounds familiar it may be because this was the scene of a shooting incident a
year ago when the Heartless Crew (a UK garage crew) came to Reading and loads of London rude boys
caused a riot.

Although the club is now under new management and no one has been shot since (yet), it is one of the
main (only?) late opening venues in Reading and thus attracts most of the hedonistic types of town
looking to extend their weekend booze/drugs session.

Anyway, the article mentions this:

"I've seen people drag pallets out of skips and throw them at cyclists and passing cars.

So as not to make anyone too paranoid, I would mention at this point I cycle down London Street
quite regularly, and no one has tried slinging a pallet at me.

I have also not seen this sort of incident reported on TVP's press releases; but I would expect an
assailant with a relatively heavy missile and reactions delayed due to alcohol/drugs would probably
end up throwing *short *of a fast moving target.

Therefore, the cyclist may not have reported it to the old bill as there isn't a lot the cops can do
unless someone *is* struck by the missile (they could tell off the drunk I suppose or instruct
buiilders to keep skips away from public areas but thats about it).

However this *could* have been very nasty so I thought it worth warning people. Always best to be
vigilant if cycling through town when drunk/drugged people are about anyway, as at least one idiot
may try and throw something into your path (or even run in front of you). I often have to avoid
idiots around pub/club chucking out time or any evening in Reading - people drink to excess
throughout the week even on Mondays!

Incidentally in case a certain lady is planning a "Girls night out" in Reading, I do *not* wear
bib-shorts, and have *no* intention whatsoever of ever purchasing such attire!

Alex

>Incidentally in case a certain lady is planning a "Girls night out" in Reading, I do *not* wear
>bib-shorts, and have *no* intention whatsoever of ever purchasing such attire!
>
>Alex
>

You're safe from the paving slab fairy in Celeste tutu then ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2] <[email protected]> wrote:
>However this *could* have been very nasty so I thought it worth warning people. Always best to be
>vigilant if cycling through town when drunk/drugged people are about anyway, as at least one idiot
>may try and throw something into your path (or even run in front of you). I often have to avoid
>idiots around pub/club chucking out time or any evening in Reading - people drink to excess
>throughout the week even on Mondays!

I must say that very little would induce me to ride in Reading around chucking-out time. :-/
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

Status
Not open for further replies.