headset and bottom bracket for touring bike.

Hedberg

Guest
I've ordered a touring frame from Bob Jackson and am deciding on components to use. For a headset
I'm leaning towards the threaded Stronglight A9 which is cheap (maybe $20 or so) and has replaceable
roller bearings and race washers. For a crank, I'm thinking about Campy (other than Record) triple
which would use one of the inexpensive (less than $20) Campy BBs.

Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the Stronglight A9?
How about the inexpensive Campy BBs? These BBs seem to be available with steel axles and cups or
with alloy cups and a hollow axle. Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a
hollow axle?

thanks for any thoughts one way or another.

Harold

"Hedberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've ordered a touring frame from Bob Jackson and am deciding on components to use. For a headset
> I'm leaning towards the threaded Stronglight A9 which is cheap (maybe $20 or so) and has
> replaceable roller bearings and race washers. For a crank, I'm thinking about Campy (other than
> Record) triple which would use one of the inexpensive (less than $20) Campy BBs.
>
> Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the Stronglight
> A9? How about the inexpensive Campy BBs? These BBs seem to be available with steel axles and cups
> or with alloy cups and a hollow axle. Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or
> a hollow axle?
>
> thanks for any thoughts one way or another.

We buy ACH crank bearing assemblies with aluminum cups usually but we'll accept chromed steel cups
to get the sizes we need on any given day. We almost never get not-hollow spindles. They all work
fine and are inexplicably similar in price.

Hedberg wrote:

> Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the
> Stronglight A9?

In my experience, it's excellent. The bike with the Stronglight is now 17 years old, and has many,
many thousands of miles on it, including lots of loaded touring. I've replaced the bottom bearings
only once, and very quickly.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:06:07 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is "ACH"?
>
>"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> We buy ACH crank bearing assemblies with aluminum cups usually...

I believe that "ACH" is the Campy model designation for the alloy cupped bottom bracket (the "A")
with the hollow ("H") axle. "SCS" is a comparable BB with steel cups and solid axle. I don't know
what the C is for unless it's actually AC for alloy cup and SC for steel cup. The third model is
the "ACS".

My understanding is that these are the BBs for all the triple cranks in the Campy line other than
the Record which is about twice as expensive as the next in the line.

Harold

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:52:37 -0400, Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hedberg wrote:
>>

>> Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the
>> Stronglight A9?
>
>In my experience, it's excellent. The bike with the Stronglight is now 17 years old, and has many,
>many thousands of miles on it, including lots of loaded touring. I've replaced the bottom bearings
>only once, and very quickly.

Thanks for the word on this. I have a bike with an American Classic trilock headset (which is no
longer made but still available) and I like the ability to inject grease without opening the
headset, but the touring bike will have cantilever brakes and I don't see how to mount a hanger. I'm
sure the A9 will work out just fine.

Thanks again

Harold

hhedberg-<< How about the inexpensive Campy BBs?

We install a bunch of them and they are smooth, well made..

<< Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a hollow axle?

Just weight-

On 16 Apr 2003 13:01:46 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>hhedberg-<< How about the inexpensive Campy BBs?
>
>We install a bunch of them and they are smooth, well made..
>

><< Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a hollow axle?
>
>Just weight-
>

>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thanks for the info. Installation appears to be pretty easy, too. That's a good thing.

Harold

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:29:07 -0500, Hedberg <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've ordered a touring frame from Bob Jackson and am deciding on components to use. For a headset
>I'm leaning towards the threaded Stronglight A9 which is cheap (maybe $20 or so) and has
>replaceable roller bearings and race washers. For a crank, I'm thinking about Campy (other than
>Record) triple which would use one of the inexpensive (less than $20) Campy BBs.
>
>Does anybody have thoughts about the reliability, durability, serviceability of the Stronglight A9?
>How about the inexpensive Campy BBs? These BBs seem to be available with steel axles and cups or
>with alloy cups and a hollow axle. Is there any advantage in this application for alloy cups or a
>hollow axle?
>
>thanks for any thoughts one way or another.
>
>Harold

If you are doing extended tours, and will be riding in all weather, then you may wish to consider a
threadless set up. Since you are having the bike custom bult, getting correct bar height and
adjustablity is not an issue, and with threadless you will be able to service/adjst the headset on
the road if neccessary.

Bob

I haven't bought campy in years. Never did like their attemps at appeasing the touring market.

BUT I do have the Stronglight A9 on my touring bike. So far, it's given me about 28,000 miles of
trouble free service (original bearings).

Yes, i would certainly recommend it.